Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Safe Piston speed  (Read 25816 times)

JQrr

• FREAK Member
  • Do not disturb...
Re: Safe Piston speed
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 09:10:08 AM »
i heard something about a nuclear powered 600rr coming out sometime in 2018. ???

:P :P 
You don't know what you don't know until you KNOW what you don't know............  WHAT??

Crash

• FREAK Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 09:26:45 AM »
i heard something about a nuclear powered 600rr coming out sometime in 2018. ???

I dont know if they are going to have it ready by then but you can bet by 2009 we will be seeing hydrogin (sp) sportbikes. :spank:
I am kinder and gentler now.  I will bend you over AND use lube cuz Jeff said I should.

You still aint getin a reach around.

JQrr

• FREAK Member
  • Do not disturb...
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 09:35:01 AM »
I dont know if they are going to have it ready by then but you can bet by 2009 we will be seeing hydrogin (sp) sportbikes. :spank:

HYDROGEN.  Hydrogin is something you might find at a bar...
You don't know what you don't know until you KNOW what you don't know............  WHAT??

Crash

• FREAK Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »
HYDROGEN.  Hydrogin is something you might find at a bar...

Did you notice the (sp) after that?  God damn dude, I said it was misspelled and you still went spelling Nazi on me. :-X ::)
I am kinder and gentler now.  I will bend you over AND use lube cuz Jeff said I should.

You still aint getin a reach around.

some_guy79

• FREAK Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
stop flaming the guy, he asked a valid, if uninformed question. Maximum piston speed is an important factor in engine wear and catastrophic failure. The problem is, no one outside the walls of the  Honda engineering department is going to know about that. Okay, maybe some people on top level race teams, but still very few.

JQrr

• FREAK Member
  • Do not disturb...
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 12:48:53 PM »
Did you notice the (sp) after that?  God damn dude, I said it was misspelled and you still went spelling Nazi on me. :-X ::)

I saw the (sp).  You weren't sure, so I corrected you.  Spelling Nazi?  Haha.  Shut up and get back on your knees, beeotch. :spank:

NewRedRider

• FREAK Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 02:02:12 PM »
stop flaming the guy, he asked a valid, if uninformed question. Maximum piston speed is an important factor in engine wear and catastrophic failure. The problem is, no one outside the walls of the Honda engineering department is going to know about that. Okay, maybe some people on top level race teams, but still very few.
So why would one ask such a question? Does he want to reset the rev limiter? If it's a stock engine it wouldn't make any sense as the peak HP is around 13,800rpm. Is he building an engine with a cam, valve and head work? I just don't see the point of knowing that information. ??? Please explain.

And don't take our flaming personal. We just like to have fun around here. Skin thickens over time so stick around. :thumb:
**I'm not a post whore! I just have a lot of opinions**

honiton

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 04:22:12 PM »

:P :P :P :P 

wait to be on the thing when it blows up.. Oh wait, might be a good way to die, because you wont feel anything..

HIROLLER

• I must find myself, does any one know where i went
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 08:50:08 AM »
People on this thread are not aware of the physics of engine builiding. Two engines that are turning the same RPM can have different piston speeds. If the strokes, rod length, or pin hieght are different this will all change piston speed. I have built automotive drag race engines for years and this is an issue that can win or loose a race. This is definitly critical with a small cube engine that is naturally aspirated. This is also the reason that small engines can need massive amounts of air (large throttle bodies) that larger engines do not have. RPM is not the reason! Piston speed determines the V/E of the design!
If you see me, keep me here until I return!
                         "BLACKMAGIK"
                                  03'

331 stroked F150
                      5.4L DOHC 03 GT

HIROLLER

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 08:57:07 AM »
Also, if you wanted to spin the engine less RPM and have the same or more piston speed, knowing these factors can allow you to build the engine to a desired purpose, maybe other forms of racing that does not involve curves...
                         "BLACKMAGIK"
                                  03'

331 stroked F150
                      5.4L DOHC 03 GT

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 09:06:48 AM »
HIRoller, that's all fine and well, but we're talking about a STOCK cbr600rr which makes the question somewhat pointless...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

600RRpilot

• FREAK Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 09:09:52 AM »
People on this thread are not aware of the physics of engine builiding.

exactly...these things are takin into consideration and produced during production.  your not going to change piston speed without MAJOR overhaul or BIG money parts. piston speed cannot be changed without changing crankshafts, rods, pistons themselves, etc etc etc.  now if your looking for max reccomended for this engine......to...lets say.....change the rev limiter.......then thats different.  but idk why you would want to anyway.  honda's already done all this research making the engine.  i understand there is such thing as piston speed......but i dont see the practical use for it as a figure unless your building an engine from aluminum stock and up.   if there is in fact something that is relavant to and i can use the numbers....please enlighten me  (no sarcasm...im serious i want to learn about this more)  
05 Sponsors:
Suomy
Galfer USA
Rk Chains
EliteWears
Motul Lubricants
GPR dampers
Zero Gravity
Vortex racing components

HIROLLER

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 09:25:48 AM »
I couldn't agree more with you both. Only if you are building from the ground up would you concider such factors. As for raising the rev limit to increase piston speed, as you all have stated, peak hp was made 2000 RPM ago why torture it for no reason. Your no going to change that fact no matter it you make it turn 25000!!! :thumb:
                         "BLACKMAGIK"
                                  03'

331 stroked F150
                      5.4L DOHC 03 GT

600RRpilot

• FREAK Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 09:27:32 AM »
I couldn't agree more with you both. Only if you are building from the ground up would you concider such factors. As for raising the rev limit to increase piston speed, as you all have stated, peak hp was made 2000 RPM ago why torture it for no reason. Your no going to change that fact no matter it you make it turn 25000!!! :thumb:

;D
05 Sponsors:
Suomy
Galfer USA
Rk Chains
EliteWears
Motul Lubricants
GPR dampers
Zero Gravity
Vortex racing components

TopgunRR

• FREAK Member
  • I'm tired of updating the Band o' the Week.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 12:30:01 PM »
People on this thread are not aware of the physics of engine builiding.
hey! some of us are. you bring up good points, though.
Embrace apathy.