Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid . . . damn diesel gas  (Read 27746 times)

frankie

• FREAK Member
  • I won raffle #2!
    • Look at me
Re: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid . . . damn diesel gas
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2005, 09:05:40 PM »
ive thought about this many times.  doesnt higher octane gas need a higher temp to ignight?  if that is the case, fi our bikes are supposed to have 87 then does it all burn at 92 octane?  I know in some new cars that takes 87 octane it says DO NOT USE HIGHER OCTANE GAS!

waht you guys think?

honiton

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2005, 09:36:10 PM »
On my car the manual said to use 87, but it also said it is recommanded to use highest octane.. 

frankie

• FREAK Member
  • I won raffle #2!
    • Look at me
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »
On my car the manual said to use 87, but it also said it is recommanded to use highest octane.. 

what the f kinda car do you have?  tell you to use highest available?  use some race gas in there and see what happens.

honiton

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2005, 09:47:20 PM »
what the f kinda car do you have?  tell you to use highest available?  use some race gas in there and see what happens.

I am too fucking lazy to drive 20 miles to get Race gas..  ;)  I have Infiniti G35..

600DubRizzle

• FREAK Member
  • Mmmm....beer
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2005, 09:51:43 PM »
Octane is a rating that has to do with the flash point of the gasoline- nothing more, nothing less.  The higher the number, the higher the temperature needed to ignite it.  If anyone cannot understand these words, follow the owner's manual and don't worry about this anymore.   :thumb:
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

frankie

• FREAK Member
  • I won raffle #2!
    • Look at me
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2005, 10:09:43 PM »
thats my point, if it lights at a higher temp doenst it take longer for it to get to that temp and wont the timing of the fire be off slightly?

DaBeachBum

• FREAK Member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2005, 10:13:40 PM »
I think you're drunk again! ;D

frankie

• FREAK Member
  • I won raffle #2!
    • Look at me
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »
no, im serious, its stupid, but its in the right place :thumb:

wont the timing be slightly off? and thats why they tell you in ownersmanuel to not use higher octane.

catch2otwo

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2005, 11:22:37 PM »
street vehicles such as your daily driven cars dont need 93 or hi octane gas.  Like 600dubb said its the flash point of the gas.  The higher the octane rating the higher the temp it needs to ignite.  Now lets say u have a 60s muscle car no technology in the ignition system but you have a modded engine.  You will want to use high octaine becuase your gas has such a long way to travel before it gets to the igntion chamber(carb, intake runners, ignition chamber).  And since the engine is modded your motor is running hotter.  In this case you do not want your gas "pre igniting" before it gets to the compression stroke which is called knock.  This is bad.  But since on your bikes and daily driver cars, your efi and computer prevent this from happening.  If your computer senses high temps or something that might cuase knock it will do things to prevent it such as retard timing etc.  So running 93 in your toyota camary wont make it last any longer and your just wasting your hard earned money.  The only time i would consider running high octane would be if your ride is modded where your fuel map/timing is custom, or you have a moderatly to highly modded carburated application.  Other then that save your money for mods.  hope that clears things up!  :thumb:

cedric

Meddiepie954rr

• FREAK Member
  • Dude! Do a wheelie!
Re:Stupid, Stupid, Stupid . . . damn diesel gas
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2005, 04:43:09 AM »
In Cali Diesel has a green color as well Fret... that way I could tell the difference..

Yeah, because we all know hell would brake loose if you had to read :P ::)
"We all take a modicum of risk every time we thumb the starter - it's just inherent to the sport." - SportRider

...and my dad can beat up your dad...

ASMA/CCS SW AM #36

Zero Gravity
Monster Energy
Utopia Optics

honiton

Re:Stupid, Stupid, Stupid . . . damn diesel gas
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2005, 05:34:54 AM »
Yeah, because we all know hell would brake loose if you had to read :P ::)

;) ;) ;)

krom

• Newbies
  • spring and fall suck
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2005, 01:05:44 PM »
street vehicles such as your daily driven cars dont need 93 or hi octane gas.  Like 600dubb said its the flash point of the gas.  The higher the octane rating the higher the temp it needs to ignite.  Now lets say u have a 60s muscle car no technology in the ignition system but you have a modded engine.  You will want to use high octaine becuase your gas has such a long way to travel before it gets to the igntion chamber(carb, intake runners, ignition chamber).  And since the engine is modded your motor is running hotter.  In this case you do not want your gas "pre igniting" before it gets to the compression stroke which is called knock.  This is bad.  But since on your bikes and daily driver cars, your efi and computer prevent this from happening.  If your computer senses high temps or something that might cuase knock it will do things to prevent it such as retard timing etc.  So running 93 in your toyota camary wont make it last any longer and your just wasting your hard earned money.  The only time i would consider running high octane would be if your ride is modded where your fuel map/timing is custom, or you have a moderatly to highly modded carburated application.  Other then that save your money for mods.  hope that clears things up!  :thumb:

cedric

somewhere in all that wrong info there is a little piece of fact.....

I still cant figure out why so many people have such a hard time understanding what the octain rating is,   Octaine is resistance to detination, nothing more nothing less, the number you see at the pump is the average of the research and motor, rating for the fuel you are getting.  Research rating is determined with some math and some one in a lab coat, motor rating is actually determined in a running engine with a moveable cylinder, that is moved closer to the crank untill detonation is sensed.  By moving the cylinder closer to the crankshaft, the compression ratio is increased. 
  There are 2 major factors that determine how much octain you need, compression and timing, the higher compression, or more timing advance you have the more octaine you need to prevent deto (and the more power you should be able to make).
   Of your engine is set up to be safe on 86, you wont gain anything but an lighter wallet by running higher, and many engines make less power on fuel with too high of a rating.
  UNLESS it is an efi knock sensor equiped engine with agressive programming, that always runs on the edge of deto.

as for the muscle car argument, A normal all cast iron V-8 can only run about 9:1 compression on todays pump gas,(aluminum heads knock sensors and efi have allowed this to be pushed to about 10:1)  but back in the 60's you could buy a car running 11:1, and have no problems, because of the high octaine, leaded fuel that was for sale at every corner. 

jrz1rr

• FNG
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2005, 02:07:51 AM »
i've seen alot of people run diesel thru a gas engine and after removing all of the fuel from the tank and filling with some good old unleaded they were just fine.  now if you own a diesel and run gas thru it,  cha ching

Murf99

• (Trackday) Headcase
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »
Don't feel too bad - none other than Monty Lutz of Sportbike Track Time had a similar encounter that he told us about at Road America last year...

He (on an Aprilia) was riding through Kentucky with some buddies from Europe - on 2 Ducatis and a Bimota.  They stopped to fill up.  Monte put all thier gas on his card.

They went into the gas station to get some Gatorade...

"Them thar must be some fancy Eur-o-pean Motor Bikes." says the, erm, inbred looking lady at the, erm, back-woods fuel station.

"Why, yes... how did you know that?" - Monte

"'cause them's the first motor bikes I've seen that take Diesel!"

"DAMN..."
Todd Murray
NESBA 911 Advanced
'05 Honda CBR 600RR
'03 Aprilia Mille RSV-R

vicksrr

• FREAK Member
  • Keeps me UP at night!!
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2005, 11:43:59 PM »
Don't feel too bad - none other than Monty Lutz of Sportbike Track Time had a similar encounter that he told us about at Road America last year...

He (on an Aprilia) was riding through Kentucky with some buddies from Europe - on 2 Ducatis and a Bimota.  They stopped to fill up.  Monte put all thier gas on his card.

They went into the gas station to get some Gatorade...

"Them thar must be some fancy Eur-o-pean Motor Bikes." says the, erm, inbred looking lady at the, erm, back-woods fuel station.

"Why, yes... how did you know that?" - Monte

"'cause them's the first motor bikes I've seen that take Diesel!"

"DAMN..."
lol
It really does!!