Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Red Light Changer  (Read 5585 times)

03RR

• Stock sucks.
Red Light Changer
« on: August 25, 2003, 08:34:53 AM »
These work great if you do a lot of city driving where you hit red lights, especially at night.  As most of you know your bike won't trip signals that are made to change when a car drives over the sensors.  I've actually turned my bike off and put it on the side stand waiting for lights to change, and I've even run some red lights after getting sick of waiting.  

So, I bought this little gadget off e-bay and it works great...mounts nicely on the inside the lower cowl out of sight.  I even get the turn arrow sometimes.  I was out last night and went to lights I know never changed and they switched as soon as I crossed the sensor pad.

marcmcm

• FREAK Member
  • I'm kinder and gentler...you should be too
    • PA Sportbikes
Re:Red Light Changer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 09:20:08 AM »
I think all states should just do what Tennessee did.  TN actually changed their law for motorcyclists.  If the light doesn't change, motorcyclists are legally allowed to run the red light after making sure there is no traffic coming.

Christian

• FREAK Member
  • Let'r rip!
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 09:30:30 AM »
I agree. I heard there is something up in front of congress right now about that trying to put it into affect across the USA.
-Chris
2003 Red CBR600RR
NESBA #302
CCS #793
M4 full exhaust, GoodRidge SS brake lines, SBK-3 pads, Yoydyne frame sliders, swingarm sliders, MD Performance bodywork, CFM Rearsets and Clip-ons, GPR steering stabilizer, Vortex sprockets

03RR

• Stock sucks.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 11:37:10 AM »
I think that's good that TN did that...but, I can see it causing a lot of problems.  You're going to see people pulling out when they shouldn't, or Squids waiting 20 seconds and then just going any way.  Trust me, I hate waiting forever and a day for a light, or for another car to pull up to activate it.....but like I said, making it legal to run a red may be more of a headache.

No matter, this little device was well worth the $12 and I'm happy with it.

KWSplash

• FREAK Member
  • NOS is for Pussies, Go Diesel or Go Home !
    • www.kevin-welch.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 08:01:14 PM »
I was under the impression that signals were tripped based on weight, thus not working for bikes because they're too light.  How then does it work?
At 185 miles per hour, fear isn't being ignored, it just hasn't caught up yet.

03RR

• Stock sucks.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 09:48:09 PM »
The most common traffic signal sensor is the "inductance loop detector", which is simply a metal detector with the detection coil set into the road.  The coils are easily recognized by a square, diamond or circle cut in the road, this is where the coil is laid.  When a car drives over the area with it's large metal mass.....it trips the coils.  When we go over with out plastic bikes, it doesn't.

cpchillin

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 10:28:24 PM »
the red light changers are basically a electromagnet.

CycloneRy

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 11:32:09 PM »
i might be full of it, but if i'm waiting at the light, i'll move right on top of the coil cut marks in the pavement, let the clutch out enough to skootch up, then roll back.  this induces current in the coil.  it seems to work...
Rebuilt - Red Phoenix RR
2003 600RR Red/Black - Jardine RT-1 Aluminum Race - Clear Alternatives Integrator, Greggs Flushies, LP Speedscreen - Polished Lips

RIP- 8/25/05
2003 600RR Black - Jardine RT-1 Aluminum Race - LP Signals - Fender Eliminator - Pitbull SS Stand - Minus the stickers and hon

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 06:49:17 AM »
different people find different things that work.

I've managed to get them to trip by hitting the starter with the bike in neutral and clutch out.  It disrupts the electronics enough to cut the headlights and will sometimes "pulse" just right to where the light will trip...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

etamante

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 06:30:15 PM »
I myself bought the redlight changer, and it does work great.  I have not had to wait at a single light yet like I used to.  I get the green as if I were in my truck.  Its a good buy if you ask me.  

Nemesis

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 04:45:22 AM »
Where can I find these?  What's the name of the product?  Can someone post the site address, plz?

sixpak75

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 10:24:17 AM »
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=234&1=273&3=177

Here you go... it works great.  I drilled a hole in the middle and put a zip tie through it so it won't fall off.   Placed it on my kick stand and it works great...

Nemesis

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 09:34:20 PM »
Thanks, bro.  I love this shit--how we all help one another.  Gosh, this makes me wanna cry happy tears. :'(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 09:34:43 PM by Nemesis »

David Joor

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 10:40:41 AM »
Thanks for the link, that is the lowest price I have seen.

mabbottusmc

• US Marine
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 01:10:09 PM »
Buy some large magnets from radioshack and save yourself the money. Did that for my ninja 250. Works great.