Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Bank-Angle Sensor  (Read 39550 times)

Marsh

• Newbies
  • Sydney
Re:Bank-Angle Sensor
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 07:47:49 PM »
For everyone who is using their bike for the street only DO NOT DO THIS!! As Jeff has said he only needs to do this for racing. If you are on the street doing this you are risking serious injury. It is there to keep the bike from doing many things when it goes down including catching fire and exploding. There is no true need for our Honda to need this done. A gixxer that's a different story because they were having problems with the design of their tip-over switch but not our bikes.
Thats why i posted this in the racing section as i knew that some of you would find the urge to get it off your bike without needing to.

Jeff can you confirm this as i dont want to go crossing stuff over and cause damage to the ecu or anything

option 2: just talked to the honda race team here in Australia and they recomend i still use it but that i fill te chamber up with some Automotive gear oil or something that will restrict the movement of the mechanism inside this thing,
using the oil if it does tip over it will take about 5 seconds before it is cut off.

I still need a temp fix for it as this will take some looking into

Thanks for all the help :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 07:49:18 PM by Marsh »
Marsh

Marsh

• Newbies
  • Sydney
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2003, 03:18:03 AM »
sure thing its the two outside wires (on the bank angle sensor plug) like jeff said....

Bikes running! ;)

cheers
Marsh

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2003, 08:20:17 AM »
If you bust the switch open, you will find that it's already oil damped.  With that, I still managed to trip it numerous times under what I would call "normal racing" conditions.

If you're racing, pull it...  Don't mess around, just pull it...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

Marsh

• Newbies
  • Sydney
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 09:12:23 AM »
yeah just turfing the thing

I think what they meant by using gear oil was to drain that oil out and use a heavier oil

while i got you jeff......

Does the raceglass need any heat shielding (thermotec mat) near the xhaust on the lower section?

a few other things im not sure about?

do you fiberglass the seuz fasteners in (anchor side)?

did you use rubber gromets under the tank section on the front and rear bolts?

have you lowered the front end at all ive been told its one of the first mods the racers are doing?

thanks in advance

Marsh

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2003, 11:03:38 AM »
Does the raceglass need any heat shielding (thermotec mat) near the xhaust on the lower section?
Yes.  I used the metallic stuff from LP USA, but it doesn't stay on real well.  Then I thermo-tec wrapped the headers on the right side, but it's still getting VERY hot...  Such is life...

do you fiberglass the seuz fasteners in (anchor side)?
? huh ? I use the stock large fastner on each side, and then one bolt for the fairing stay (on each side).  That's it for the upper...  I then have 3 dzuzs on each side to hold the lower on.

did you use rubber gromets under the tank section on the front and rear bolts?
No.  In fact, I don't bolt down the rear section.  I just zip-tie the rear of the tank shell to the tail section.  It's quicker to get off that way.

have you lowered the front end at all ive been told its one of the first mods the racers are doing?

No.  This is such a stupid myth...  Don't listen to what everyone is telling you...

Pay for your advice, because the free stuff is not worth much...  My suspension tuner would beat you with a fork leg for such a suggestion...

Texan32

• Doing my part...USAF
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 06:55:17 AM »
i have been reading through this thread.  It got me thinking.  Have any of you thought about a lanyard?  Like on a jetski?  I MX a 400ex.  ATVA regulations require us to run one....plus they only make sence.  The lanyard is a simple 2 wire switch that has a clip that can be removed causing loop closure.  The clip is attached to your body via a tether line.  If you fall off the machine, the clip is pulled and causes the ignition to be grounded (thats how my 400 and most jetski's work).  I don't know the wiring of the RR, but there has go to be a way that one of these could be utilized.  This would give you the best of both worlds.  No tip sensor AND a kill switch for when you feel like hopping off the bike coming out of a turn ::)

I have a few pictures of a common kill switch, but i don't know how to attach pictures here.

snow

• FREAK Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2003, 11:38:08 AM »
My suspension tuner would beat you with a fork leg for such a suggestion...

lol

MD-11

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2003, 05:36:40 PM »
I race mine but still am hesitant to just remove the switch for the oil starvation thing, but after this next race i'm thinking of putting a relay in instead of the switch tied in to the oil pressure sending unit.

Anyone have any thoughts if  this would be a bad idea?

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 09:13:47 PM »
Looking back, I'll bet I never did have a problem with my bank angle sensor.  I'm thinking all along it was my power commander.  However, since it's out, I'll leave it out.

I don't think I'd put in any other type of switch.  If I go down, either I will shut the bike off or the corner worker will within a few seconds.

hondatech

• Throbbing member
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride and Smile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 11:56:53 AM »
L O fucking L.

Thats all I have to say.
Justin
If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

MD-11

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2003, 12:32:33 PM »
Hondatech,

Any thoughts on the oil pressure cut out good idea or bad?

hondatech

• Throbbing member
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride and Smile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2003, 04:05:15 PM »
I dunno. Now that we've found the tip over switch isn't faulty, I'd just use it and not complicate the woring any more. But on the other hand, I'd never tell a guy not to tinker. I think if it was me, I'd leave it.
Justin

FOX

• it ain't over till the fat man eats your cookies
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2004, 09:23:31 PM »
if you did not have to turn the igntion key to off and back to on then you did not trip the bank angle sensor. if the key stays in on and you can re-fire the bike you have a different problem. also, centripital (sp?) force will hold the sensor in the up position no matter what the lean angle you experence is. (at least in theory) most problems with this are a result of poor mounting of the sensor.

muaythai_folife

• FREAK Member
  • "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness."
    • jveeroom112
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2004, 09:37:39 PM »
centripital (sp?) .
centrifugal? im pretty sure
FREEZE MUTHERBEEETCHES!!!!!!!!!!

"a champion is someone who sweats to exhaustion, even when no one else is watching" -Bas Rutten

http://www.myspace.com/jveeroom112

hondatech

• Throbbing member
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride and Smile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2004, 10:18:49 PM »
centrifugal? im pretty sure

2 different words. Often confused with each other.
Justin