Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: takeoffs- d208gps or any brand slick  (Read 2079 times)

600RRpilot

• FREAK Member
takeoffs- d208gps or any brand slick
« on: August 19, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
they must have at least 2 track days left on em.  let me know asap!  thanks!  stock size please
05 Sponsors:
Suomy
Galfer USA
Rk Chains
EliteWears
Motul Lubricants
GPR dampers
Zero Gravity
Vortex racing components

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
Re:takeoffs- d208gps or any brand slick
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 04:25:44 PM »
how fast are you?

I have a set of slicks which the front is still real good (like 3-4 track days good), but the rear is shot for me.  

An amateur racer could likely get an okay day out of the rear.  A street rider could get a feel for it for a day, but the rear would likely start sliding around late in the day, and it would be shot by the end of the day.

I don't need much of anything for the set, say like shipping +$25?

I just had a set of 208 take-off's which I sold on ebay  :-\  Wish I'd have known your need...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

600RRpilot

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 10:13:44 PM »
thanks jeff.  im not "that" fast and i just want a set to try out to compare.  what brand/sizes are they?  and is the rear in good enough shape to pass tech?  they "say" they want 85% life left.  but i dont know.
how do you like em?  ive been told they are a bitch to heat up.  like that you MUST have warmers to use em.  but i dont know so fill me in with your thoughts.....if you could post pics for that price i'll take em.  just try and get a couple pics posted and weve got a deal.
05 Sponsors:
Suomy
Galfer USA
Rk Chains
EliteWears
Motul Lubricants
GPR dampers
Zero Gravity
Vortex racing components

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 01:41:54 PM »
It depends on how stringent your tech inspection is...  I would pass them.  There's 85% left on them, but not on the far edges :-)

They are a Dunlop soft slick.  The size is a 180-55 rear, and 120-80 front.  Yes, this is about 4mm taller than your stock tire on the front, but that is the sizing for slicks.

They're not that hard to heat up.  Warmers are nice, and I use warmers *always* whether dots or slicks and regardless of the temp.  Like any other tire, without warmers, give them 2-3 laps to come in.

I'll pull them out of the trailer and shoot some pics in the next few days.

I loved slicks on my F4, but didn't realize why.  When I woke up and discovered that I liked them because of the stability of the whole bike, which we realized/discovered that it was because of the geometry change that the slicks brought on.

I have the RR set up perfectly for DOTs, and when I ran this set of slicks on them last race weekend, they felt terrible because of the difference in geometry they create.

On a bone stock bike, you likely won't notice a large difference, and it might even make the bike more stable/comfortable on the track for you...

Again, the tires aren't anything great but they would keep you from spending $300 on new tires or $150 on decent used ones :-)
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

600RRpilot

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 02:04:34 PM »
awesome.....good advice....i was wondering about the geometry...should i take front down a couple millimeters?  or just try it out first?  
anyway, snap some shots om them....as long as it looks like they'll pass tech, i'll buy em from you asap.  
if i do wind up likin slicks, is there a place where i can buy them from? like online?
thanks
05 Sponsors:
Suomy
Galfer USA
Rk Chains
EliteWears
Motul Lubricants
GPR dampers
Zero Gravity
Vortex racing components