Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: First Gear Acceleration  (Read 7476 times)

cornerworker

• FREAK Member
  • meep-meep...just a reminder
Re:First Gear Acceleration
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 06:04:50 AM »
I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but I have taken the MSF course, and I was not doing 10,000 rpms in residential areas.
I did hard acceleration in the country on straight stretches  not for logn periods of time or anything, just being curious I wanted to dee how it felt I had been keeping the revs around 5-7000 and turned it  up a bit. I was not being stupid when this accident occurred, and I was happy i made the decision to get the girl to move for safety reasons if something did happen to go wrong. just like murphys law.......
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I dont drive like an idiot on long straight stretches i turn it up a bit, and practice shifting decelerating and decelerate extra early for turns i dont even lean the bike into the corners especially since the tires are  new and the roads arent the greatest in some place. i apologize again for the misunderstanding thats what i get, for writing a horrible story like that i can understand the confusion.

My bad then.  A couple of things to consider.  One, the clutch lever is adjustable (I think-its early).  Set it up so that its easily within reach.  You don't want to have to do anything other the move a finger or two to operate the clutch lever.  Actually, varying the revs and oopening it up a bit during break-in is good for the bike.  It will get everything to seat properly just don't stay at any 1 prm for any extended period of time.  If you have already taken the MSF, great.  Go out and practice the shit they taught you, preferably in an empty lot.  I'm not kidding about this.  I still do it all the time.  I have a lot near my house that is empty for a couple of hours each day right after and right before its locked.  I'll go there to practice emergency braking, cornering, etc.  It definately helps.  Good call on getting out of the way of the girl.  Sorry if I came down to hard.  Anyway, welcome to the forum.  What you're going through here, everyone goes through.  Its sorta like some stupid fucking right of passage.  Stick around.  You'll enjoy it here.   8)  
I RIDE
Because every morning feels
like a weekend,
rush hour is a total rush
and this bike makes going to
work almost worth it.
RED

Endless

• Endless's very own group
  • Cold Chillin'
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 08:23:08 AM »
No, you should not have a problem with shifting.  Now, please come back, Cornerworker didn't mean it. :)

There goes another rider....
Machines own the straights.  Riders own the corners.

cpchillin

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2004, 09:14:17 AM »
Me I ALWAYS keep the brake covered. If I were in the class I would've told him that I'm not a spaz like he is and that I can cover the brake without panic-pulling. Of course I rarely cover the clutch though.

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 09:20:17 AM »
Me I ALWAYS keep the brake covered. If I were in the class I would've told him that I'm not a spaz like he is and that I can cover the brake without panic-pulling. Of course I rarely cover the clutch though.

Yeah, i rarely cover the clutch also.  As for the brakes, i'll have 2 fingers covering it while riding around town.  The rear brake, eh, i hardly use it now, only when coming up on a stoplight and the bike is in neutral.  

Question.  Is it bad to put the bike in neutral while coming to a stop?  I mean, sometimes i engine brake, but i've also heard of other's just keeping it in gear just in case of an emergency situation where you would have to speed up to avoid something.  Anyone else do this?

cornerworker

• FREAK Member
  • meep-meep...just a reminder
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
No, you should not have a problem with shifting.  Now, please come back, Cornerworker didn't mean it. :)

There goes another rider....

Get the fuck outta here!!! :( :-[ :o :)  From the sound of his first post everything I said was warranted.  I said it because I'm trying to keep another rider alive and riding.  In the grand scheme of things I don't give a flying fucking moose cock if folks stick around here or not.  I do care about keeping them safe and long for this sport.  If I ever sound harsh about the way people ride and the stupid shit they post about pushing limits on the street its only because I won't them to stick around.  I want our sport to grow and thrive and to become a safer and better place for all of us.
I RIDE
Because every morning feels
like a weekend,
rush hour is a total rush
and this bike makes going to
work almost worth it.
RED

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 10:23:13 AM »
Get the fuck outta here!!! :( :-[ :o :)  From the sound of his first post everything I said was warranted.  I said it because I'm trying to keep another rider alive and riding.  In the grand scheme of things I don't give a flying fucking moose cock if folks stick around here or not.  I do care about keeping them safe and long for this sport.  If I ever sound harsh about the way people ride and the stupid shit they post about pushing limits on the street its only because I won't them to stick around.  I want our sport to grow and thrive and to become a safer and better place for all of us.

8)  Couldn't agree with you more....BUT, you did seem a bit harsh with your reply.  He wasn't going crazy on the street, just not paying enough attention.

bboynicku

• FREAK Member
  • Need $$$ for Track :P
    • Q-Rev International
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 04:15:17 PM »
wtf man u say this shit, and u probably do the same thing on a straight stretch big deal no hamr done i didnt lose control or anything i know how to shift just was amazed how tricky it was to  grab for the clutch. BUT that's ok keep giving me shit for asking a fucking simple question I didn thave to tell you/ I crashed  I did cuz I figured thats what u people do tell of your experiences I wasnt even going fast.  If you cant come here without being  intimidated to ask a question or  share an experience, then that's just not right, I thought you people were friendly from reading posts, but obviously there are a few people who woudl rather say crap than answer a question, if you dont want to answert my question, dont bother replying.
You act like I came here saying I dont know how to shift  or I bought a bike, now where is the clutch? geezus forget this, Im not here to cause trouble Im a very friendly person, but I will justdelete my account and save myself the headache. thanks for this short lived expeience on your forum, and drive safe. bye

HEY MAN, u need to treat this site like a supermarket!! u never go to a supermarket and buy everythin u see!!!...look at everything on the site, but don't take things too seriously when u get flamed for something...
i've learnt a lot from this site, and it has helped me tremendously...don't leave because of what a few people say...

ok, to answer ur question, if ur shifting at such high rpms and speed, u should probably be doin clutchless upshifting...search for the thread on it...it's really easy to learn...and a lot more efficient...it also doesn't harm the bike so it's all GOOD :) (put upward pressure on the shifter, roll off the throttle about 1/4 and then roll back on...it should easily shift into the next gear..)

as for the people on the site...some of u guys need to chill!!! everyone makes mistakes, and u don't have to blow up at them. seriously guys, it's not really helping.  just people gettin pissed...
i think it also gives the site a bad name...just my .02cents
RED/BLACK '03 RR *** I LOVE RIDING ^_^ ***
Scotts Oil Filter
ZeroGravity Double Bubble
Acumen DigiGear