Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Changing the oil  (Read 48649 times)

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
Re:Changing the oil
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 10:33:29 AM »

You Americans do talk funny English.  8) ;D

you know it...

My team-mate is Irish and he's moving back to Ireland.  Says he'll miss all the race talk because in the UK, nobody talks about racing, they just go do it! LOL...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

YELLOW RR

• FNG
Re: Changing the oil
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 12:56:49 PM »
no need to remove any fairing to do a change!

mi600rr

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 03:49:32 AM »
I have a question about the oil filter.  I know the torque spec is 20 lbf.ft but I wasn't able to fit either one of my 2 torque wrenches in the itght space.  The headers are the culprit.  I hand tightened and noticed I turned it 1 full rotation after the gasket touched the lip.  Is that enough?  Too much?  I know most cars I've worked on say turn 3/4 to 1 full turn after the oil filter touches the lip.  I didn't notice any oil leaking so I guess it's okay.  I'd like a torque wrench that would fit though.
2003 Honda CBR600RR (red/blk)
2001 Honda Shadow 750 (blk/chrome) - Sold
1994 Nissan 300ZX TT

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 08:24:52 AM »
I have a question about the oil filter. I know the torque spec is 20 lbf.ft but I wasn't able to fit either one of my 2 torque wrenches in the itght space. The headers are the culprit. I hand tightened and noticed I turned it 1 full rotation after the gasket touched the lip. Is that enough? Too much? I know most cars I've worked on say turn 3/4 to 1 full turn after the oil filter touches the lip. I didn't notice any oil leaking so I guess it's okay. I'd like a torque wrench that would fit though.

It's basically as tight as you can turn it with your hand
"There but for the grace of God go I"

JQrr

• FREAK Member
  • Do not disturb...
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 11:08:28 AM »
Just hand tight is tight enough for the filter...
You don't know what you don't know until you KNOW what you don't know............  WHAT??

mi600rr

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2005, 05:28:50 AM »
If that works for all of you, hand tight is good enough for me.  Thanks!
1994 Nissan 300ZX TT

NavyRob

• Newbies
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 09:20:54 PM »
Im having trouble with the lower right fairing. I took off the two obvious bolts on the top, and one less obvious bolt at the very bottom, center front (hope that makes sense) of the fairing. After removing those bolts the top is loose but it wont come off easily. I didnt want to force it off and cause damage. Have I removed all the necessary bolts?
Why dont you quit reading this forum and go ride!

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2005, 10:19:26 PM »
Im having trouble with the lower right fairing. I took off the two obvious bolts on the top, and one less obvious bolt at the very bottom, center front (hope that makes sense) of the fairing. After removing those bolts the top is loose but it wont come off easily. I didnt want to force it off and cause damage. Have I removed all the necessary bolts?

The lower has a hook on it (where it connects to the side fairing) and you have to lift it and then slide it off.

NavyRob

• Newbies
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2005, 02:51:04 PM »
Well I successfully changed the oil. Getting that dang coolant resevior back in place was a serious pita, but I dont think you can remove the filter without removing it. Also the lower fairing is pretty annoying to get back on...I felt like i was solving a huge version of those puzzle lock games. Anyways its all done now, and I saved myself a bunch of $$$ and time and I learned a lot. Thanks again for a great post!
Why dont you quit reading this forum and go ride!

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2005, 10:32:50 PM »
I felt like i was solving a huge version of those puzzle lock games

LOL, it's funny you wrote that, because when I changed my oil last Sunday, my youngest daughter said it was a motorcycle puzzle. Some people can change the oil without taking the fairings off, but I remove them...

JQrr

• FREAK Member
  • Do not disturb...
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
Some people can change the oil without taking the fairings off, but I remove them...

As much of a pain in the ass taking off the fairings seem like, it's much easier to remove them before changing the oil.
You don't know what you don't know until you KNOW what you don't know............  WHAT??

bboynicku

• FREAK Member
  • Need $$$ for Track :P
    • Q-Rev International
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 02:45:08 PM »
As much of a pain in the ass taking off the fairings seem like, it's much easier to remove them before changing the oil.

YEA!! +1
it takes a maximum of like a minute to take the lower fairing off...
it's really not a big deal
RED/BLACK '03 RR *** I LOVE RIDING ^_^ ***
Scotts Oil Filter
ZeroGravity Double Bubble
Acumen DigiGear

Ozjack

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2005, 03:43:19 AM »
The trick is not to try and put it ALL back on at once-put the side plastic first then "plug-in" the lower. First time I changed oil WITHOUT removing the fairings-took a lot of fiddling and frustration. Second time was my mates `05 which NEEDS the fairing removed(the filter wont fit between the headers as on the 04) and it was so much easier. Now I take the fairings off my 04 everytime too 8) :thumb:

theprocook131

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2005, 01:07:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the "spider" wrench; was looking for one today without much success but went to Auto Zone and it was there. Good info for everyone who reads the thread.
"Progress in civilization has been accompanied by progress in cookery. " Fannie Farmer

mi600rr

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »
(I scanned over all the threads and didn't find the answer to my question so...)
How often should one change the oil if using synthetic?  3k mi OR 3 months?  Is it always a set mileage OR a given time period, which ever comes first?  Using synthetic oil, how often should I change it?  I've only used my bike about 1800 mi since October 05. Thanks!
1994 Nissan 300ZX TT