Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Changing the oil  (Read 46258 times)

alpinestaRR

Re:Changing the oil
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 07:30:41 PM »
You guys know how to take off the plastic clip located at the top of each side fairing near the tank? It looks so delicate that I dont want to break it.

why would you need that off to change the oil? i just take off the lowers...

about that clip, i just broke them off  :)

Racer_downunder

• FREAK Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 01:59:21 AM »
I want to do more than just change oil... lol

Did you have to buy new clips after breaking it? Anyone know how to remove it without breaking the plastic clips?
*RIDING HARDOUT IN NEW ZEALAND SINCE 1994*

600DubRizzle

• FREAK Member
  • Mmmm....beer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 07:07:22 AM »
I want to do more than just change oil... lol

Did you have to buy new clips after breaking it? Anyone know how to remove it without breaking the plastic clips?

You push in on the middle part of the clip to unlock it.  Then pull it out.
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Racer_downunder

• FREAK Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 11:35:10 PM »
Thanks Rizzle, will give it a go tommorrow. 8)

alpinestaRR

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 12:48:42 PM »
Did you have to buy new clips after breaking it?

no

laubin

• FREAK Member
  • MSF SITH LORD
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 05:59:16 PM »
my 2 cents on this.. to speed up things remove the oold oil filter with a Spider fliter wrench...It attaches to your socket wrench via a 6 inch extension...its availiable at auto zone.. about 4 bucks.. its got protrudung fingers that tighten on the filter as you loosen the wrench...very effective .. and btw you really don't need to take the fairings off either ..well I don't.. wrench is used to take off filter only...works great on the cars too... 8)

leave lowers on...reach through the hole next to the coolant reservoir...with my handy tool in hand...hold on oil filter...now with other hand ( turn wheel to right) reach through headers with extension and slip into spider wrench...hold against filter while pulling other habd back out hole...stick the ratchet on the end of the extension and have at it... the trick is to make sure the spider arms are gripping the filter when you start so keep your hand on it when you start... this wrench fits alot of filters and its availiable in different names and colors etc...its been around quite awhile... I had to originally get it to change the filter on my (then new) 1988 Fiero Gt! 8)
The force is strong with you Young Skywalker, ...but you are not yet a Jedi...

frankie

• FREAK Member
  • I won raffle #2!
    • Look at me
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 08:36:06 PM »
leave lowers on...reach through the hole next to the coolant reservoir...with my handy tool in hand...hold on oil filter...now with other hand ( turn wheel to right) reach through headers with extension and slip into spider wrench...hold against filter while pulling other habd back out hole...stick the ratchet on the end of the extension and have at it... the trick is to make sure the spider arms are gripping the filter when you start so keep your hand on it when you start... this wrench fits alot of filters and its availiable in different names and colors etc...its been around quite awhile... I had to originally get it to change the filter on my (then new) 1988 Fiero Gt! 8)

i use the same method but with a different filter wrench, its black and looks like the bottom of a filter.  Just fits around perfect.  Cost three dollars from the auto parts store.

nolimits

• Newbies
  • What times first practise?
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 05:26:13 AM »
A cheaper way, using parts already purchased for track racing......
Tighten the jubilee clip around the filter (the one you use to lock wire the thing on. Tap (and I mean tap NOT hit) the clip using a screwdriver and mallet, in the undo direction.
Spin off the old filter.
Spin on the new one. Tighten by hand. Then use the clip and tap the  filter in the tighten direction. About 1/8th turn should do it. Put the oil in and test for leaks. Then lockwire the filter in place.
Cost $0

Runaway5000

• FNG
Re: Changing the oil
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2004, 04:27:33 PM »
I have a few quick questions. What is the best type of oil i should use for street use, and should i get a different oil if i want to take it to the track every now and then?

Also do places like Jiffy Lube or other oil change shops change motorcycle oil, because the only motorcycle shop within 60 miles wants to charge 65$ to do it. Also, how often should you change oil? Thanks guys!

PaikyPoo

• FREAK Member
  • WoO HoO
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2004, 04:47:23 PM »
I have a few quick questions. What is the best type of oil i should use for street use, and should i get a different oil if i want to take it to the track every now and then?

Also do places like Jiffy Lube or other oil change shops change motorcycle oil, because the only motorcycle shop within 60 miles wants to charge 65$ to do it. Also, how often should you change oil? Thanks guys!

some guys run synthetic, some don't... user preference and how u use your bike.  i'll defer to other ppl about that.

$65 is pretty cheap if that includes the oil and filter.  around chicago they charge about $100.  i do my own.  it's very simple as long as u don't mind gettin a tad oily.

the manual states every 4k miles.  some guys change every 2k, some change around 5k, some change every track day.

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 08:51:24 PM »
A cheaper way, using parts already purchased for track racing......
Tighten the jubilee clip around the filter (the one you use to lock wire the thing on.

No limits...  Are you Irish?

My team-mate (who sadly goes back to Ireland in Dec) was the only other person I've ever heard use the terms Jubilee clip & lock wire...  To us Americans they're hose clamps & safety wire...   ;D
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

nolimits

• Newbies
  • What times first practise?
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 10:42:08 PM »
I'm about as Irish as you are Canadian  ;-) :P  :P  :P

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2004, 06:30:59 AM »
LOL....  Austrailian I guess eh?
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

NewRedRider

• FREAK Member
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2004, 10:23:26 AM »

i use the same method but with a different filter wrench, its black and looks like the bottom of a filter. Just fits around perfect. Cost three dollars from the auto parts store.

I agree with Frankie. The first time I changed my oil (600m) I took the plastics off just like the manual. Total time = 3hrs!!
:-X
The next time I found my own way to change it without taken ANY plastics off! Use the filter socket wrench that Frankie is talking about. I got the one from discount auto parts and used my socket drive. Reach through the lower vent (Bigger hands go through the bottom) and put the socket wrench on the filter. Loosen the filter and drain. Drop it down between the headers and out the bottom. Replace with the new filter in reverse. I use 3 liters of Repsol 10W-40 Synthetic Oil. Fills it perfectly to the top line! Total Time = 30 minutes!!  8)

PS If you don't have a rear stand run the back tire up on a board enough to get your drain pan underneath.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:25:11 AM by NewRedRider »
**I'm not a post whore! I just have a lot of opinions**

Racer_downunder

• FREAK Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 09:32:40 PM »
the only other person I've ever heard use the terms Jubilee clip & lock wire...  To us Americans they're hose clamps & safety wire...   ;D

You Americans do talk funny English.  8) ;D