Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Changing the oil  (Read 49336 times)

600DubRizzle

Changing the oil
« on: May 31, 2004, 09:10:37 AM »
In order to do this, it is recommended you remove the lower fairings and the right midde fairing.  If you don't know how to do this, or are uncomfortable in doing this, take the bike to a dealer and have them change the oil.

First, remove the oil fill cap.  This helps the old oil drain out of the oil pan.  Next, unbolt the drain plug in the oil pan. The oil pan drain plug is a bolt on the bottom of the oil pan, and the exhaust pipes go around it.  If you have any amount of trouble finding this part, stop what you're doing and take the bike to your dealer and have them do it.  Remove the bolt and drain the oil.  Inspect the washer on the plug to make sure it isn't too fugged up.  If it is fugged up, replace it.  Once the oil is done draining (a slow drip is drained enough) reinstall the drain plug.  If you care, the torque spec is 22lbft or 29Nm.

Next step is to remove the old oil filter, which is right next to the coolant reservoir.  Remove the reservoir by removing the retaining bolt.  Why?  If you're even bothering to read this, you need all the help you can get, and removing the reservoir will make removing the oil filter easier.  Use the proper size oil filter wrench (or in my case a big ass pair of channel lock pliers), to remove the old filter.  Just to let you know, the filter installed at the factory is on there REALLY tight.  DON'T THROW THE FILTER IN THE TRASH ONCE YOU'VE REMOVED IT!!!  Put it in with the old oil for recycling.  Check the filter mounting surface for dirt and to make sure the old filter o-ring isn't still on there.  Apply a light coat of oil to the o-ring of the new filter and install it.  Putting the filter on hand-tight as tight as you can is normally good enough, but here's the torque spec for installing, 20lbft, or 26Nm.  Clean up any old oil that may have dripped onto the exhaust.  If you don't, you're in for a smokey, smelly ride.

Reinstall the reservoir and the fairings.  Add new oil through the oil cap (ride side of bike).  After the oil change, the engine will take 3.1 quarts (2.9L).  Once full, reinstall the oil cap and start the engine.  Make sure the oil light goes out, and then stop the engine.  Put the bike on a stand or have someone hold up the bike level and check the oil level.  The sightglass can be seen through the right lower fairing, and the oil should be between the two lines cast into the aluminum around the sightglass.

Test ride and then check for leaks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 11:55:17 AM by 600DubRizzle »

bboynicku

• FREAK Member
  • Need $$$ for Track :P
    • Q-Rev International
Re:Changing the oil
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:38:19 AM »
yea i do all my oil changes myself. Just had a question tho...how important are the torque values given in the manual???
RED/BLACK '03 RR *** I LOVE RIDING ^_^ ***
Scotts Oil Filter
ZeroGravity Double Bubble
Acumen DigiGear

600DubRizzle

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 07:16:13 AM »
yea i do all my oil changes myself. Just had a question tho...how important are the torque values given in the manual???

If you are confident in your feel of how tight the drain plug and oil filter are, you don't need to use the torque specs.  If you're not confident, get a torque wrench.

2ndtime

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »
What are the views on filling the filter with oil also before installing it.....  I have heard before that this is the correct thing to do as i always do it on my trucks.

600DubRizzle

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 09:42:16 AM »
What are the views on filling the filter with oil also before installing it.....  I have heard before that this is the correct thing to do as i always do it on my trucks.

If possible, it's always a good idea to fill the oil filter with oil because it helps build up oil pressure faster.  The filter on this bike goes on sideways though, so keeping the oil in it would be difficult.  

2ndtime

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 09:52:40 AM »
Yes I thought of that myself.  I know the filter sits sideways but even if you get some oil in there it's better than being empty.....

My friend who races and works on bikes for a living did my first two oil changes but i am going to do them now on.......  seems easy enough......

rjh200

• FREAK Member
  • I'm Addicted
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 10:08:19 AM »
I pour a little oil into the filter swish it around and then poor most of it out before installing the filter.  This prevents spills but also leaves a coat of oil around the filter.  
Bring on the squids, I need part for my bike.

600DubRizzle

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 10:12:25 AM »
I pour a little oil into the filter swish it around and then poor most of it out before installing the filter.  This prevents spills but also leaves a coat of oil around the filter.  

Do that if you want, but just having a coating of oil in the filter serves no purpose.  Filling the filter with oil is about having a full amount of oil ready for when you first start the engine.

rjh200

• FREAK Member
  • I'm Addicted
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 10:23:42 AM »
Sorry I should have explained better, I am leaving the filter filled about a quarter of the way.  Just enough that I can get it on without spilling it all over the place.  It might not even do any good but its for peace of mind.   8)
Bring on the squids, I need part for my bike.

ceptor600rr

• I am an old racer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 10:34:23 PM »
I like filling the filter with oil..as much as possible with out spilling oil all over the place :)
 then I crank the engine (not constant in short bursts)  till I see oil pressure or the light goes out  on cars I ground the coil on bikes I hit the kill switch..oh does this bike have one?? have not done the oil change myself yet.. will do the next and all the rest though
YELLOW 600RR

laubin

• FREAK Member
  • MSF SITH LORD
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 07:06:57 PM »
my 2 cents on this.. to speed up things remove the oold oil filter with a Spider fliter wrench...It attaches to your socket wrench via a 6 inch extension...its availiable at auto zone.. about 4 bucks.. its got protrudung fingers that tighten on the filter as you loosen the wrench...very effective .. and btw you really don't need to take the fairings off either ..well I don't.. wrench is used to take off filter only...works great on the cars too... 8)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 07:10:41 PM by laubinero »
The force is strong with you Young Skywalker, ...but you are not yet a Jedi...

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 03:36:27 PM »
Does it adjust for different sizes?
Never seen, Always heard

600DubRizzle

• FREAK Member
  • Mmmm....beer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 07:51:03 PM »
Does it adjust for different sizes?

When you put it on the filter and twist the ratchet wrench you have that attached to, it conforms to the size of the filter.  The more you twist, the tighter it gets.  I have one that looks different, but works the same way.
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 10:56:22 PM »
Ahh, I see. Looks like a handy tool.
Never seen, Always heard

Racer_downunder

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 07:17:48 PM »
You guys know how to take off the plastic clip located at the top of each side fairing near the tank? It looks so delicate that I dont want to break it.
*RIDING HARDOUT IN NEW ZEALAND SINCE 1994*