Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Manual Tire Changing  (Read 12305 times)

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
Re: Manual Tire Changing
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2005, 12:09:52 PM »
That's goofy...  you've removed the nut, and the axle is not coming out?

I'd try spinning the axle with a socket/ratchet/impact wrench.

From there, I dunno what to tell you...  I believe the axle is hollow.  You could try packing it with crushed ice for 20 mins or so to try and contract the metal a teeny tiny bit, then beat it out with a hammer & block of wood.

Does the wheel spin freely?  Is the rear end on a stand?
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

kwamerussell

• FNG
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2005, 12:16:14 PM »
the wheel spins freely and the rear is on a stand!!.....the axel is hallow....i've tried a 20lb Mall hammer, I've tried a come along....i've tried Jesus!!!....kiddin....really though i'll try the ice method to contract it a bit.....

like i said it moves like an inch to an half of inch or so then it stops moving. i can use a ratchet on it and it moves freely the tire spins freely.... i can ride it but the tire is so worn.....i can see the threads man!!....

would there be a specific way of takin it off??.... i have a 1997 CBR600 also and i can change that tire with both hands tied in record time!!.... please help me this weekend is beautiful for riding.....

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2005, 04:17:57 PM »
Something is wrong...  Does it slide freely for that first 1 to 1.5 inches?  if so, have one person wiggling the axle back/forth in/out and have someone else wobble the tire side to side to see if you can get it out.

Don't use a come-along or you'll bend the swingarm.  Dang.  I wish I was there to help....  this sounds interesting.

Meddiepie954rr

• FREAK Member
  • Dude! Do a wheelie!
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2005, 07:07:41 PM »
I've gotten mine stuck like that on the RR, just gotta wiggle the wheel around and twist it out a little bit to get it moving freely again
"We all take a modicum of risk every time we thumb the starter - it's just inherent to the sport." - SportRider

...and my dad can beat up your dad...

ASMA/CCS SW AM #36

Zero Gravity
Monster Energy
Utopia Optics

cpchillin

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2005, 07:25:19 PM »
Two words!! PLASMA TORCH!! I guarantee you that I'd have it out! Of course you would at the very least need a new wheel but hell the axle would be out!

kwamerussell

• FNG
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
I'm sorry i didnt reply sooner!....I'm an Air Traffic Controller down here and i was called into work for 2pm yesterday however i'm off today!!!......

lol....the plasma torch idea is pretty cool but lets remember i live in the Bahamas and bike parts (well the prices!!) are hiked up to the moon... So its better i do the wiggle thing i guess!!...

Let me paint a better picture.....

The axle moves in and out or back and forth (with a hammer and a piece of wood) for 0.5 to 1 inch. The tire moves freely around and around (the axle) regardless if the axle is all the way in or 1 inch out.

You can hear when you get to that point (an inch out) it gets a hell of alot tougher and it appears to have that metal on metal ring when i attempt to hammer it. Would there be a techinal way to take that off seeing that its a 2003???.... does the spacers on each side have to be at a certain point for the axle to be removed??

Man the weather here is sooo beautiful..... it was 84 yesterday clear skies light winds!!....you guys would love it here!!.......anyway i'm off the whole day can someone deliver me from the unheard of evil!!!.....lol

i have msn messenger: kwamerussell@hotmail.com...... someone help please.... if i take it to a bike shop i better be prepared to take out a mortguage to cover the cost as well!!...

thanks,

Kwame
Renagade Group
Nassau. Bahamas

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2005, 02:16:52 PM »
if it wasn't so tight in there, I'd recommend taking a hacksaw to the threaded end, but I'm about out of suggestions...  Take it in...  ???

kwamerussell

• FNG
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2005, 06:39:19 AM »
Jeff you're the best...

I tried the crush ice method and it came out within an hour or so. The axle had water marks on it and some small signs of rust powder. I greased it down and replaced the tire...

Thanks again.

P.S. I got dumped yesterday on some tar... Did a wheelie in an open part area away from any cars or pedestrians. landed bad at about 60mph.... bike lost control due to me landing with the handle a bit turned. I know better but shit happens. Bike is fine.... I'm not!!!.... is there a Doc in the house??...lol... I had on the gear....

I know you guys dont entertain foolish accidents but i figured i'd share my Bahamian experience with you all. I just wanted to do a once and a life time wheelie away from people. just couldnt resist... enjoy the day!!

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2005, 10:28:37 AM »
P.S. I got dumped yesterday on some tar... Did a wheelie in an open part area away from any cars or pedestrians. landed bad at about 60mph.... bike lost control due to me landing with the handle a bit turned. I know better but shit happens. Bike is fine.... I'm not!!!.... is there a Doc in the house??...lol... I had on the gear....

I know you guys dont entertain foolish accidents but i figured i'd share my Bahamian experience with you all. I just wanted to do a once and a life time wheelie away from people. just couldnt resist... enjoy the day!!

Damn, that sucks...fix the bike up just to bust it up  ???

At least you're being a man about it and owning up to it ;D
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2005, 12:16:02 PM »
Glad the axle came out...  you might want to take it out and sand it with some 400 grit metal sandpaper to make sure there's no burrs on it or anything.  And yep, grease will help you out.  Your climate will eat the piss out of those axles as they are steel.

Glad you made it through your bad wheelie without any permanent damage.  Be careful out there, and yes, if you're gonna do stupid shit, do it away from others and with good gear on..  LOL... :pop:

kwamerussell

• FNG
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2005, 09:54:38 AM »
Thanks Jeff.... and everyone else who offered advice!!!.....