Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 600RR long distance touring  (Read 15543 times)

Austin007

600RR long distance touring
« on: February 15, 2004, 11:18:21 PM »
I really hope this hasn't been posted too many times, it's my first post cause I'm thinking of getting either an RR or an 02 F4i.  Please post a link to the thread if this has been answered before.

How's the comfort level on the RR after 2 or 3 days of long riding?  How does the RR compare to the F4i for comfort/touring benefits?

Both bikes are slightly used, the RR being an 03 and the F4i an 02.
Thanks for any info.

laubin

• FREAK Member
  • MSF SITH LORD
Re:600RR long distance touring
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 11:35:04 PM »
I have a friend with an f4i and we both go for about 500 miles in a sitting before the arses are too sore...seems to be about the same...really... the bars are higher on the f4i...and it feels slightly more meaty in the midrange...but from there on the RR ripps thef4i's lungs out....this years f4i has the dumpy euro seat on it...its probably nice and squishy....takes your ass about 2000 to break in on the RR...just pop asprins and you'll be fine....oh yeahmuuu ah aha ah
The force is strong with you Young Skywalker, ...but you are not yet a Jedi...

Marsh

• Newbies
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 11:40:12 PM »
If you want a tourer get a BMW :P
out of the 2 you have posted id take the rr (i have had both) as it seems to be a few steps up on the F4i in every aspect (not too far behind it in the comfort)

they both have hardish seats and unless you are doing 200k's plus a day on it it wont bother you.
Marsh

Black600ee

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 11:56:44 PM »
comparing f4i and the 600rr is like apples and oranges.

The F4i wins the comfort contest with out a doubt.  The Bike it self is made to be more streetable  its sits in a more upright position with a nicer seat. Also the bike has a good amount of midrange so you dont have to be up in the powerband to make a decent amount of power.

The 600rr is.... Well just sit on one... Needless to say no one here bought one for comfort
Cbr600rr: Afam Sprockets DID chain Ohlins Rear shock Ohlins steering dampner

rjh200

• FREAK Member
  • I'm Addicted
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:36:02 AM »
F4i will be better for mostly touring type riding.  
Bring on the squids, I need part for my bike.

cpchillin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 10:54:42 AM »
I guarantee you that not a single owner of the RR has even had a sliver of a thought of touring with it!! There is no way in hell that someone could make it more than 200miles in a straight line on the RR. Yeah we might lie to ourselves and say that the seat is comfortable enough but we all know the seat SUCKS! Forget the RR and the F4i both of them aren't good for touring. Now the best Honda for touring and being able to rock through the twisties is the Interceptor. Comfort is great and you can get hard saddlebags for it, but they are expensive around $1000. I myself almost got the Interceptor instead of the RR. Have fun with whatever you get.

1FSTOLDGUY

• FREAK Member
  • '03 Duc 749. I will not bump my knee, I will not.
    • Cebrian's Home on the Web
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 12:17:21 PM »
If you really want something that is comfortable but still fun on a occasional twisty day. Look for a clean used Yamaha YZF600 (not the R6) or an  Kawi ZX-6E(new ZZR-600) both are very good street bikes tuned for midrange and are significantly less expensive than the Hondas.  Between the two you mentioned the guys are right. F4i for street comfort, RR for pure performance.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ".....Holy shit......what a ride!"
'03 Ducati 749 Bipoto "Rosa"
'93 Katana 600 "Rat Kat"

Austin007

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 12:19:19 PM »
They're really that different?   I do like the tricked out features of the RR though.  The VFR was on my short list but not sure yet if I want one.  Nice ones are a little pricey too right now. Thanks alot for the replies.

DaBeachBum

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 01:57:29 PM »
After 300 miles your ass will be screamin!! ;D That's my max for one day, seriously. All I can think of is being uncomfortable and getting home.

desertcbr

• FREAK Member
  • Nothing but sun!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 06:10:04 PM »
I don't agree with not thinking about taking a long trip, I have but I do know that after 40 miles of hwy driving I am numb! Reality is this bike was not designed to be comfortable, so if you are looking for that I would look elsewhere, unless you are a masochist.

I would like a bike to tour with someday, but this bike is not the one for so many reasons. Someday when I can afford it I will probably get sport tourer, something like a Honda ST1300.

My $.02

D
Desertcbr now with wings! -   "Fear is the mind-killer"  D=Dan

grendelkhan

• FNG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 07:42:28 PM »
First off the F4i is the better touring bike. That said it is a couch compared to the RR but I've done over 2000kms in less than 24 hours and didn't feel any more cramped on it than any other supersport model fo this type. While the F4i is more comfortable initally it will still get sore eventually. I would determine which bike I would buy, by how many touring miles i'm going to rack up compared to just some Sunday rides and trackdays. I'm doing a 1000 mile in 24 hour iron utt run this summer on it. I'll be sore after, for sure but I wouldn't want another bike in the twisties.

alby

• FREAK Member
  • Yellow 2003 Honda CBR600RR
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 08:39:16 PM »
I guarantee you that not a single owner of the RR has even had a sliver of a thought of touring with it!! There is no way in hell that someone could make it more than 200miles in a straight line on the RR. Yeah we might lie to ourselves and say that the seat is comfortable enough but we all know the seat SUCKS! Forget the RR and the F4i both of them aren't good for touring. Now the best Honda for touring and being able to rock through the twisties is the Interceptor. Comfort is great and you can get hard saddlebags for it, but they are expensive around $1000. I myself almost got the Interceptor instead of the RR. Have fun with whatever you get.

The most I've done was about 160 miles and that was draining.
If I was gonna do a long ride, I'd need a new seat and something that allows
me to relax my legs and stretch while I'm riding.
Yellow Banana Rider

hondatech

• Throbbing member
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride and Smile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 09:17:50 PM »
They're both good bikes, and damn near the same as far as performance goes. If you're track riding, the RR is better, but the F4i is a better street bike, hands down. If you plan on doing mostly touring, the VFR would be a way better choice.
Justin
If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

Austin007

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 10:15:58 PM »
Hey thanks for all the input!  I bought 2 new bikes last year cause I wasn't happy with them and I don't want to do it again.
I didn't really want to go for a VFR right now mostly  because I think I can still fool myself into thinking I'm young enough (29) to ride a sportier bike full time.  I probably wouldn't do many track days with it tho.
Can you believe the dealer here is giving me a cash price of $9500 for a 2003 600RR with 2200km on it!?  And he KNOWS Honda is selling new leftover 03 RRs for $9999.  I still have to get a trade in price for my 919 from him before I start haggling.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:18:42 PM by Austin007 »

Tufelhunden

• FREAK Member
    • Tufelhundens Website
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 11:11:56 PM »
Man no one mentioned the ultimate sporttourer.  CBR1100XX.

Smooth as silk and fast as hell with all day comfort, with only a handle bar mod.  Just a thought.  Also, as you seem to be in Canada it appears that you can get a brand new 2004.
Always remember this, Marines die.  That's what we're here for, but the Marine Corps lives forever.  And that means you live forever!