Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: New member 05 600rr  (Read 1164 times)

luke_600rr

• FNG
New member 05 600rr
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just bought my first rr. Will looking through the threads for info on an oil change and what to do to winterized

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
Re: New member 05 600rr
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »
Winterize? WINTERIZE?! Fuck have I got you covered. I'm condemned to live in that shit day in and day out. Here ya go straight from the master:
1. Clean your chain with a soft bristle toothbrush and kerosene. DO NOT use steel brushes. After you clean your chain, bring it up to temperature (I recommend at least 100kmph (60mph) 3-4th gear for five minutes, should be warm after that) get it home, jack it back up, lube that shit. Don't worry about excess. You're going to clean it all off in the spring anyway.
2. Fuel stabilizer. For a roughly 18L (4gal) tank you want 90ml (3oz) MINIMUM. You can add more just not a lot more, it doesn't make it better, and it won't hurt the engine, it's just not needed. I usually throw in 100ml every year and have zero issues. I like 100ml because it's an even number. You need to add the stabilizer while the tank is half empty or less because you're going to go fill up a bit before you store it. Putting the new fuel in mixes everything around. Run the engine for 10 minutes or ride around for a bit to work the stabilizer into the entire fuel system.
3. Wash the bike if you can. Even if it's just a surface wipe down with some light duty cleaner and some micro fibre cloth. This is because you're going to cover the bike.
5. Place bike on wood NOT concrete or asphalt. If you have to park it on the street, slide some wood underneath the tires. The concrete will wick out the oil in the tire and cause flat spotting and/or cracking of the carcass.
6. Once everything else is done and you're all set to go, pull the battery.
7. Cover the bike.
8. Put your disc lock on.
9. Cry.

Now with the pulled battery store it inside the house in a dry place. Or if you have a heated garage there is fine. If you don't, a laundry/boiler room is fine. I personally have my battery inside hooked up to a solar powered trickle charger. I leave it connected to the charger all winter and it's ready to go in the spring. If you don't have a fancy setup like mine, it's ok, here's what you do. In the spring when you're ready to go, trickle charge the battery for 6 hours, you want less than a 2A charge, it should be fine after that. If you put high current in to the battery (depending on the quality of the battery or how old it is) you could adversely affect it's performance. 2A or less for 6 hours should be good depending on your charger. I use a Yuasa battery. It's the original battery that came with my bike in 2003. It's 2015... take care of your battery. This is why.

See you in the spring.
2003 CBR600RR - LCR Honda MotoGP racing body kit, Watsen Designs flush mount signals, Sunstar sprockets, D.I.D. X-Ring race chain, GPR GPE Titanium Carbon Fibre race pipe, Pazzo shorty gold levers, CustomLED Intergrated rear signal/brake light, Puig fender eliminator, PCV, K&N race air filter