Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Project: 1972 CB100 Rebuild  (Read 16068 times)

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
Project: 1972 CB100 Rebuild
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:00:43 AM »
I guess this can go in here, it's likely going to be more rambling and complaining than pics, but there's still plenty of pics, lol.

Long story short, I bought this bike a few weeks ago wanting a commuter bike so I could leave my 600RR set up for the track all summer, and not have to worry about speeding and piling on the miles. I rode it for a few days but couldn't help myself...I'm just not capable of owning a junker bike! It leaked way too much oil to be safe anyways, so apart it has come...The goal is to invest less than $500 in restoring it to better-than-new condition, using the paint booth at work and my previous experience with rebuilding bikes. So far it's all torn down, some basic cleaning, and am gradually schlepping parts to and from work to be sand blasted and painted, polished, etc. I have also disassembled the wheels a bit and cleaned up the absolutely filthy drum brakes, shined up several bare steel parts, and put together an extensive shopping list of all the Honda parts I need to order. It will be a very different bike when I'm done, but not a cafe racer, and nothing irreversibly changed. Frame will be powder coated, electrics all converted from 6v to 12v, all lights replaced with LEDs, less dorky bars, a proper throttle installed, engine fully re-gasketed/sealed and  painted, most of the chrome done away with and painted (having things re-chromed is exceedingly expensive in California, and it's not really my thing anyways), wheels stripped and painted (stock chrome is far too damaged to save it), new brake shoes, new cables, custom taillight/LP setup, steel tank and plastic side covers stripped/repaired/sanded/painted, most all fasteners replaced with proper bolts and no more stupid effing philips head screws!! The exhaust will likely remain stock, as the Cone Engineering muffler I want is out of my budget, at $157+welding labor, so it will simply be painted.

Which brings me to my main hurdle...being a 43 year old bike, a lot of OEM parts are very hard to find at a reasonable price, if at all, so unfortunately I'll have to go aftermarket for some things, and pay through the nose for others when there is no aftermarket part available. Nextly on the list of frustrations is all the fasteners...The motor is almost entirely built with JIS philips head screws, and they're totally seized, over torqued, painted over, and some stripped. I can't even get at the stator, which is getting replaced, until I open the motor, let alone the clutch and transmission. I'm going to buy a hand impact screwdriver and hopefully that helps me free the motor of all those wretched screws!

Here are some random pics for now...When it finally comes time for re-assembly, maybe in a month or so, I'll start taking more documentary type photos. Feel free to follow along while I pour hundreds of hours into a 43 year old, 100cc bike, lol! Also feel free to send me money 8)
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
Re: Project: 1972 CB100 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:14:13 AM »
When I first bought it...

Currently, lol!

I've been really impressed by what you can get done with just Scotch Brite pads and a wire wheel...These springs, nuts, and bolts were all totally rusted and oily when they came off the bike, and I've been able to get them to shine up rather well already.

1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »
You... yoouu... you have sunshine?!  :( I can't think of a better person for the bike to get some love. My friends all think I have OCD because my bike is spotless. Yet I am nowhere near your level. Keep us posted!  :pop:
2003 CBR600RR - LCR Honda MotoGP racing body kit, Watsen Designs flush mount signals, Sunstar sprockets, D.I.D. X-Ring race chain, GPR GPE Titanium Carbon Fibre race pipe, Pazzo shorty gold levers, CustomLED Intergrated rear signal/brake light, Puig fender eliminator, PCV, K&N race air filter

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:05:01 AM »
You... yoouu... you have sunshine?!  :( I can't think of a better person for the bike to get some love. My friends all think I have OCD because my bike is spotless. Yet I am nowhere near your level. Keep us posted!  :pop:

Lol! Thanks dude, I'm pretty stoked to give it the TLC I know only a crazy like me can give it, haha. It'll take much longer for me to do this bike up than my RR, since I have a full time job these days, but I'm hopeful it'll be done before summer. The stupid JIS cross-head screws holding the motor closed up tight are fighting me at every corner, so until I can get those out, I'm at a bit of a standstill...I have been looking around for the right drivers for my hand-impact screwdriver, so wish me luck there...LOTS of online shopping to come soon, which is actually kinda cool, since I never really let myself buy anything for the RR, and now I get to go hog wild buying OEM parts for this lil bike...I think my Partzilla.com shopping cart has like 42 different parts in it now... :P

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
cyclepartsnation.com ?
2003 CBR600RR - LCR Honda MotoGP racing body kit, Watsen Designs flush mount signals, Sunstar sprockets, D.I.D. X-Ring race chain, GPR GPE Titanium Carbon Fibre race pipe, Pazzo shorty gold levers, CustomLED Intergrated rear signal/brake light, Puig fender eliminator, PCV, K&N race air filter

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »
cyclepartsnation.com ?

Their parts fiche only goes back to 1977, my bike is a 72. Thanks though, dude!

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
Epic Fail  :(  :banghead:

doctornige

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
What a great project
2006 Honda CBR600RR Movistar edition. Blue double bubble, single seat conversion, sprinkling of sexually attractive carbon fibre, annoying Datatool alarm, useless rider.

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 12:04:05 AM »
Got the tires off the rims today, and will unlace them tomorrow morning. Conquered all the external seized fasteners, as well as a few on the oil filter rotor. Pulled the stator out and test-fitted the CB350 stator I bought on eBay...looks like it's a good fit, just need to do a continuity test on it tomorrow to ensure that it's good to use. The hand impact driver with the correct bit in it was a life-saver today! All of the screws had been hit with PB Blaster, but weren't going to budge without a few good whacks from the impact. I also used it on the rotor bolt and it barely took any effort to get that backed out, thankfully! I am going to pull the rotor tomorrow, and would love to split the cases, but the oil slinger/clutch drum tool I ordered has still not arrived, so it will have to wait, unfortunately. I should still be able to put in a good amount of time cleaning up the head tomorrow, and inspecting the piston, which I really really hope is in good shape. The exhaust port on the head looks very sooty and black, but dry, so I'm hopeful.

I ported and polished the head for my CH150 and noticed marked improvements in throttle response and acceleration, so I'd like to do the same to the head for this CB. Nothing major, just knocking down casting flash and evening out the surface a little. I wish we had a vapor blaster in the area, but it looks like I'll just be blasting the head and cases with aluminum oxide, unless I can find a local shop that has walnut shell media and will blast it all for me. Really stoked to see that the internals of the engine so far are relatively clean and almost entirely rust free, a big relief for me!

Very much looking forward to getting the motor all shiny and clean inside and out, and ready for paint. I haven't decided on a color scheme for it yet, but I'm leaning towards black for the crank case, and dark silver for the side covers to match the tank, air cleaner covers, and fork tubes. I also love the two-tone effect of sanding off the edges of all the fins on the cylinder and head, or maybe just taking a silver Sharpie to them after the parts are painted.

The frame is completely stripped of parts now, and is ready to go to the powder coater. I was quoted $120 for them to do all requisite cleaning, blasting, masking, and plugging, and a semi-gloss black powder coat, which I feel is a little steep considering how small the frame is, but I'm hoping I can convince them to also include a few brackets and the swingarm for that price, considering the swingarm and brackets will already be blasted and ready for PC. I would love to also PC the rims, but their color options are not to my liking, and they want too much $$ to do the rims, I suspect because blasting off the original chrome would be very difficult.

Speaking of chrome, I received some parts today that were very hard to find...there is a chrome retainer sleeve that fits atop the fork lower and holds the external fork spring in place. I had to ruin one of mine in order to get it off the fork lower, which bums me out a lot because it cost me $65 just to buy a NOS set of them. The chrome is in great shape on the new ones though, so that's neat. I'm going to see if I can sell my spare used one now to recoup some of the cost of the NOS set I bought. I can only find one other set for sale online...so crazy, it used to be a 9 dollar part

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »
I'm always partial to red black gold and white or some combination thereof. The black and silver will go good together. Though I would like to point out something from my useless art degree: grey/silver makes all other colours appear richer, so consider adding something other than just black to really make things pop. Other than that it sounds like you're on top of things as per usual. Keep us posted!  :pop:

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
I'm always partial to red black gold and white or some combination thereof. The black and silver will go good together. Though I would like to point out something from my useless art degree: grey/silver makes all other colours appear richer, so consider adding something other than just black to really make things pop. Other than that it sounds like you're on top of things as per usual. Keep us posted!  :pop:

Thanks dude! I struggle to be right brained at all so those kinds of design tips are much appreciated. All my past bikes, and my wardrobe, seem to suggest that I'll be going with a psuedo monochromatic scheme...black for the frame, crank case, cylinder, and head, with the edges of the fins in silver, dark silver for the case covers, dark metallic silver/gray for the tank, forks, and side plastics, but with a black and white detail on the sides of the tank to pay homage to the original design. Still undecided about the wheels/hubs/spokes though. I feel like black rims look washed out and tend to blend into the tire too much...missed opportunity for good contrast, but I don't want white. Chrome would be ideal, but it's way too expensive for me. I'm going to test out some metallic paint and see what I can do with that. Black hubs, probably silver spokes, though white would look pretty cool. I wish I were good at mockups in photoshop, haha.

Color choices aside, I had a crap day until I got home and spent a therapeutic 4 hours working on the motor...My 24mm oil rotor/clutch spanner socket from Motion Pro arrived, and after 20 minutes with my hand impact driver and a big ass wrench, I finally got the oil rotor off the crank! I had to check the manual to make sure it wasn't a LH thread, it was on the crazy tight!! Pulled the clutch, too, which was super crazy easy. Also pulled the shift drum and shift linkage, so I'm going to finally ready to split the cases on Wednesday! ;D

I will have to post a pic, but the centrifugal spark advance mechanism that slides onto the end of the tiny camshaft was damaged by a PO. Looks like someone hammered on it in a bad way to try and get it off the shaft end. The index hole in the camshaft into which fits a very small alignment pin, was wallowed out badly, and actually caused the underside of the spark advance part to sheer. I cleaned it very well and attempted repair with JB Weld today, so we'll see what it looks like tomorrow after I sand the JB Weld back to the intended shape of the part and test fit it onto the repaired camshaft end.

I re-terminated a few leads for the turn signal sub-harness...A few were missing their male terminals, so a coworker helped me solder on some fancy ones to repair them. Also used some color matched heat shrink on the wire coming from the points mechanism. I can't wait to shrink wrap the whole harness and be done with all the nasty electrical tape that's on there now, yuck.

I know I'm putting way too much work into this little bike, but I've been deburring, sanding off casting flash, and polishing all kinds of things in this motor...the faster oil can run off of a lot of these internal parts, the faster it returns to the pan to be scavenged and recirculated. It's going to be rather pretty when it all goes back together and has some quality oil run though all its freshly cleaned and polished guts!a

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
Thanks dude! I struggle to be right brained at all so those kinds of design tips are much appreciated. All my past bikes, and my wardrobe, seem to suggest that I'll be going with a psuedo monochromatic scheme...black for the frame, crank case, cylinder, and head, with the edges of the fins in silver, dark silver for the case covers, dark metallic silver/gray for the tank, forks, and side plastics, but with a black and white detail on the sides of the tank to pay homage to the original design. Still undecided about the wheels/hubs/spokes though. I feel like black rims look washed out and tend to blend into the tire too much...missed opportunity for good contrast, but I don't want white. Chrome would be ideal, but it's way too expensive for me. I'm going to test out some metallic paint and see what I can do with that. Black hubs, probably silver spokes, though white would look pretty cool. I wish I were good at mockups in photoshop, haha.
Have you considered Rossi Yellow for the wheels?  ??? 8)

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »
Have you considered Rossi Yellow for the wheels?  ??? 8)

Lol! Not for me. I need to keep resale value in mind, so nothing too wild.

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »
Lol! Not for me. I need to keep resale value in mind, so nothing too wild.
Are you Sir insinuating that Rossi Yellow would decrease its value? Heresy! :spank: