Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Experience needed for track days?  (Read 3141 times)

C18ANT

• Newbies
  • Instagram: @ant_6rr
    • RAZORBACK_69's YouTube Channel for gamers
Experience needed for track days?
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:03:51 AM »
I'm looking at doing some trackdays with my friends, I'll be getting Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa 2ct for the knowledge that I'll be stuck to the ground round corners. The thing I'm worried about is I've only been riding for a year and only for one month on a "big bike" as my last bike was a 1992 VFR400. Should I get more road riding experience first, or should I buy some spare fairings and do a track day? Spare fairings as I don't want to risk binning it on my mint Leyla fairings and they aren't as common as other OEM fairing kits.
"Mathematically speaking, if you are doing twice the speed limit, you'll be on the road for half the time, therefore reducing the chance of having a crash by 50%"

'92 Honda VFR400 R3N NC30 - SOLD
'12 Honda CBR600RR-A Leyla Ltd Edition: Yoshimura race headers + Racefit Growler (1 of 3 worldwide)/PCV/PiperX filter/Zero Grav DB screen/Yoshimura mirror blanks/Ten Kate Racing fuel cap/Diamond rearsets/TST integrated tail lights and flushmount front signals (both smoked lens)/Carbon fibre: fuel tank in-fills, undertail, rear hugger, front mudguard, chain guard, yoke protector, clock surround/Titax pre-load adjusters/Renthal grips/ASV levers/Single seat cowl/pillion pegs removed/numerous titanium bolts.

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
Re: Experience needed for track days?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
Definitely don't do it in the Leyla kit!! The rock chips alone will break your heart, haha.

Find some beat up spares if you can...far less costly than trying to source replacement Leyla stuff! As for the experience, as long as you feel mechanically comfortable on the bike, and know what all the controls do, not joking, then you should be ok with a year and a half on a sport bike, IMO. You can start in C group with the beginners, and always ask to move to Intermediate if you feel like you want to go faster. 
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
messing up fairings hurt, but just remember that in a track crash, or any crash, you could do more damage than just your fairings. Make sure you have some frame sliders, at the very least.
Take your time on the track. I've seen so many new guys think that they're automatic track superstars by the end of their first day on the track that they lose focus and blow straight off the track because they forgot to turn (seriously... that kind of shit happens). Remember to be smooth on your throttle, and to respect your brakes. Trail braking will be your best friend- especially if you get into a situation when you feel like you are carrying too much speed in a corner.
Commit to your corners, and keep your head up, and your eyes pointed to where you want to go. Someone crashes in front of you, look around them- not at them, or you'll follow suit.
Have fun! Track days are addictive as fuck.
#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
To add to what NN & C-dub wrote.
- Don't get cocky with street tires, yes they warm up quicker than a race tire... but they still start off cold... and still suck in the rain.
- If you start doing track days and get hooked, but still want to ride on the street, find case covers too in addition to frame sliders & bodywork for track duty.  but if you fins you no longer have a need for a street bike or want to get a track only bike.  find one that's prepped already and has had the suspension done and all the other race/trackday bits.  It will be way cheaper than doing it to yours...
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

C18ANT

• Newbies
  • Instagram: @ant_6rr
    • RAZORBACK_69's YouTube Channel for gamers
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:14:16 AM »
messing up fairings hurt, but just remember that in a track crash, or any crash, you could do more damage than just your fairings. Make sure you have some frame sliders, at the very least.
Take your time on the track. I've seen so many new guys think that they're automatic track superstars by the end of their first day on the track that they lose focus and blow straight off the track because they forgot to turn (seriously... that kind of shit happens). Remember to be smooth on your throttle, and to respect your brakes. Trail braking will be your best friend- especially if you get into a situation when you feel like you are carrying too much speed in a corner.
Commit to your corners, and keep your head up, and your eyes pointed to where you want to go. Someone crashes in front of you, look around them- not at them, or you'll follow suit.
Have fun! Track days are addictive as fuck.
Now, here's where I may sound like a noob. haha What's trail braking? Lightly using the rear brake while cornering?

I know about the tyres, but the Supercorsas are the best road tyres I can get that are road legal and still good for track use (I've been told). Do trackdays really have that effect on you? Make you want to stop road riding? Because most of my bike friends only ride on the road! haha
"Mathematically speaking, if you are doing twice the speed limit, you'll be on the road for half the time, therefore reducing the chance of having a crash by 50%"

'92 Honda VFR400 R3N NC30 - SOLD
'12 Honda CBR600RR-A Leyla Ltd Edition: Yoshimura race headers + Racefit Growler (1 of 3 worldwide)/PCV/PiperX filter/Zero Grav DB screen/Yoshimura mirror blanks/Ten Kate Racing fuel cap/Diamond rearsets/TST integrated tail lights and flushmount front signals (both smoked lens)/Carbon fibre: fuel tank in-fills, undertail, rear hugger, front mudguard, chain guard, yoke protector, clock surround/Titax pre-load adjusters/Renthal grips/ASV levers/Single seat cowl/pillion pegs removed/numerous titanium bolts.

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:11:00 AM »
trail braking is using the brakes during cornering, with less intensity as you approach the apex. though that's what i learned about cars, i'm pretty sure it applies to bikes as well. it has nothing to do with rear braking, in fact, you'd better not use the rear brake in cornering ;)
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

vfrbh1

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »
I would suggest a track school first, but I am an old guy.
for real change support the fairtax act: fairtax.org

jag75

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Oh man your fixin to get the trackitus. Your gonna love the track. Just like was said before take it easy and get the feel. I love what the guy at Buttonwillow says at the meeting. In all his years of working there he has never seen a factory team come in and sign somebody at a track day. Don't be that guy who wipes out in the first session and ruins his day. I use Dunlop Q2 and love them. Now they have Q3 and the ones who use them are hooked. Those are great for street and track . I was advised by the parelli tire guy that the Q3 are great track tires except in real hot conditions. He said the oils seep out and cause some sliding. I plan on getting an extra set of wheels so I can have a pair of slicks for the hotter track days. Have fun at the track and keep us posted.

doctornige

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
I am doing a track school at Donington Park before I risk slinging the Movistar down the track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Honda CBR600RR Movistar edition. Blue double bubble, single seat conversion, sprinkling of sexually attractive carbon fibre, annoying Datatool alarm, useless rider.

doctornige

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
I am off for a track day, but I am playing it VERY safe at the Ron Haslam Race School at Donington. It's on their 600RR and in their leathers!

N.

2006 Honda CBR600RR Movistar edition. Blue double bubble, single seat conversion, sprinkling of sexually attractive carbon fibre, annoying Datatool alarm, useless rider.

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
Good Choice - I have a few friends that have done Ron's school and have always report it to be a great experience.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

doctornige

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
It's tomorrow morning! I went out on La Movistar for a burn round the Peak practicing some weight shifts. I felt good. Now I just have to see if I can replicate it at 100mph through the Craner Curves. Quite excited.

And no, I am not taking the CBR to the track. I am driving it in a sedate automatic Range Rover because I know what can happen getting off a track and on your own bike. It is exactly the same thing that happens when driving home from the screening of the latest James Bond film.

Nige.

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
It's tomorrow morning! I went out on La Movistar for a burn round the Peak practicing some weight shifts. I felt good. Now I just have to see if I can replicate it at 100mph through the Craner Curves. Quite excited.

And no, I am not taking the CBR to the track. I am driving it in a sedate automatic Range Rover because I know what can happen getting off a track and on your own bike. It is exactly the same thing that happens when driving home from the screening of the latest James Bond film.

Nige.

Have fun, be safe! Riding to the track is a bad idea for many other reasons too...You can't bring sufficient supplies or equipment.
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

doctornige

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
Man, that was great fun. I was far from quick, but had a great time hanging off! Knowing the 600RR a bit helped - the bike felt like home.

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »
Man, that was great fun. I was far from quick, but had a great time hanging off! Knowing the 600RR a bit helped - the bike felt like home.

Good to hear!!