Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Omega's track build  (Read 3240 times)

Omega2004

• FNG
Omega's track build
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:41:44 AM »
Not sure if I am allowed to start a track build here, but please let me know if i must move it.

So I bought the bike as a accident damaged bike mid April. Frame is still straight and all major components seems in working condition. Items that needs replacement from what we can see is the following:
Radiator
Gauge cluster
Upper fairing bracket

I dropped the bike off at a good friend of mine and he has been wrenching on my bikes for the last 18 years, so i trust him to double check and ensure all is safe and in good order, he is doing the following on the bike:
Oil service
Oil filter
Spark plugs
Air filter
Fork seals
Fork oil
Brake pads front and rear
5.1 brake fluid and he also fixed the master cylinder as the banjo was leaking.
Race prepping the bike for our track rules, includes safety wiring and replacing radiator coolant with MoCool.

Everything currently is on hold as I am awaiting delivery of the replacement radiator from ebay and delivery anthing between the 18th and the 28th. So will post once that is delivered.

I ordered my track fairing and started painting so long and these are the results, i am still a newby at the spray thing so please don't be to harsh with the comments :), matte black and matte white, i was spraying blind as i could not fit the fairings to get the stripes lined up, i am eagerly awaiting the bike to fit them and see what it looks like on the bike

We have a track day booked for the 16th june so hopefully it will be done by then.

Things still needed:
Gauges/cluster but not a major train smash, i can always fit after market temp gauge ect
Might have a few of the air duct pieces missing but will se when bike comes together
And any other issue that might arrise, hopefully none

Will keep you peeps up to date.

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
Re: Omega's track build
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
Maybe the first track build thread I've seen on here in my time, ha. That's awesome! Good to see it's coming along, eager to see the finished bike!
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

Omega2004

• FNG
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:16:36 AM »
Well finaly some good news for me.

Bike is back at home and all looking good and in working condition.

New Motul 5100 oil
New spark plugs
New Brake pads front and rear
New radiator fitted
New fork seals and Oil

When working on the bike we found out it had a BMC fitted, which was a score for me as now I don't need te replace but only clean the filter

This weekend try and finish it up, proper clean, safety wiring, bar ends, track fairing fitting and all the small things I pick up while cleaning.

This is what she is looking like as is, will update again after the weekend.

Omega2004

• FNG
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
Just a quick update:

Few Questions, hopefully someone can help me.
What clipons would you peeps suggest and what size should I be looking for?
What brake master cylinder would you suggest I look for the front brakes, preferably second hand and something not going to break the bank?

Bike is basically ready but it looks like I might have a small leak on the front brake cylinder and I cannot see where it might be leaking from. I also have no confidence in the reliability of the bike at this moment but I am sure that would change the first day on the track and hopefully for the better

Worked most of the weekend on the bike to get it cleaned up and get the fairing fitted. so here is a pic

ABE75

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
Good job there  :thumb:

Clip-on size is 45mm . As for which brand , I think they're all much of a muchness . A fairly common solution I've seen here in the UK is to cut off the nipple that locates in the the underside of the top yoke , thus giving more adjustment with the stock clip-ons .
"How fast is it mate?"

Goldie

• FNG
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Looks good!

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
If it's going to become a true track bike then...
Clip-ons = Woodcraft, and while you're at it - rear sets, frame sliders and case covers from them too... 
MC = Brembo 18x19 works great, or a Brembo RSC.   if you're really on a budget look for a Yamaha R6 Brembo radial master cylinder used, it's very similar to the 18x19 but not as high quality built spec.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
Nice work!!  I second Jason's recommendations for the Woodcraft clip ons. Top notch stuff, all of their products, as well as their customer support. Brakes wise, I had a Brembo 19RCS and loved it, but for most people you'll never use the adjuster for the ratio. Decide whether you want maximum braking effort and less fine modulation, or if you prefer slightly less (but still heaps) of leverage, and more "feel."  Then go with whatever provides that. Brembo stuff can very often be had used, and in great shape, so look at the FS section on boards, or even on Amazon!!
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)