Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Aquarium hobby just left a sour taste in my mouth  (Read 3108 times)

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
Aquarium hobby just left a sour taste in my mouth
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
I'm so very unhappy right now with the hobby. I met my first slimeball scumbag just getting some money however he wishes. Didn't even know it when I met him and picked up his tank, stand, canopy, and all that jazz for $500 5 months ago.

Didn't think of anything back then. Looked great, was solid, obviously was just up and running with excess substrate (he had crushed coral and sand for african cichlids) all over the place, water in the filters and all that. Got it home, did a thorough clean. Looked like some excess substrate had made it's way onto the edges of the stand/aquarium and basically everywhere after he tore it down. So I expected it to leak out a little for maybe a week or two. Just because of humidity and the cracks and crevices in a stand/canopy.

Same sand stuff kept leaking out....for 5 months and with the cooling weather got worse. And then there's a bunch of little drilled holes in it that weren't there before when I picked it up and have had it in my garage the entire time. Yep. Termites and the guy had to have known about it and probably why he was selling it at his old place, literally across the street, with only that tank/stand/canopy and equipment in the place. Not where his 180, 220, 40, and 125 gallon tanks were already. And obviously there for quite some time as well as his 4 dogs.

So, after seeing that, knowing there's at a bare minimum of 5 months termite damage there's no way that I'd trust a 120 gallon full of water gravel decorations canopy and all that on it. And thankfully I kept it in my rather hot florida garage. Not where it was going on my wood floor in cool weather where I 100% know that I would've had a major major problem. Because I have yet to find any evidence and I've torn into everything in my garage where I have about 2000lbs of wood in there. 6 inches away and 2 feet away I have yet to see anything anywhere else. But of course I'm no pro and need a service. But maybe the heat kept them solely in that stand and canopy, though a dresser was 6 inches away I've seen nothing on it at all.

Ironically. After setting it on the curb and taking a huge sharpie writing TERMITES on it. Someone took it. Don't even have to wish something bad on them when people do it to themselves.

That being said, anyone buying somethin from a "Elliot Randon" in Brandon florida, beware. He also said in the email that the tank never leaked but I never leak tested it and it looks like it needs a reseal Glad I didn't even bother and I was going to use the other 120 that I had already leak tested and felt confident with.
:thumb: temper pedic mattresses don't have shit on cinderblocks and cardboard

" To reach manhood, we are all cast into the fire and are purified by pain."

cosmo

• FREAK Member
Re: Aquarium hobby just left a sour taste in my mouth
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
can't say much, since we don't have termites around here, so no ideea how bad the infestation may be, but i doubt they can eat through glass. couldn't you have replaced the wood and perhaps silicon(if they eat that too). or just treat the wood with pesticide (ofc, not getting it -inside- the aquarium)?

also, i do agree with you about the guy that took it after the warning. i always think we really need to let natural selection work it's way a bit more, we protect retarted ppl way too much. let them breed, and you're left with shows like jackass all over the place.
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:00:54 AM »
The entire thing needs to be replaced. Even one termite in 1 piece of wood is no good obviously. Treating it? Well, yes I could easily tent the whole thing myself and treat it no problem. But, a 120 gallon aquarium full of water, gravel, fish, decorations, canopy, light ontop of that stand is well over 1200 pounds. Not going to trust it in my home, or try and treat it and sell it.

Glass tank and some of the equipment is obviously still good as they can't get through glass/plastic. But how professional is that....aquarium with a filter, lights, water, fish, etc just on my floor lol.

I honestly don't know about the termites and how bad it is, or could be. But I know that if I do end up having them it's 5 months of them going to town as I have yearly (ironically just weeks before I purchased this aquarium setup) inspections and I've been termite free since owning this home a little over 5 years ago. So I can't imagine that it's all that bad. But I've been surprised in the past all the same.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:02:27 AM by blindkiller »

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:22:47 AM »
i was thinking of replacing (all of) the infested wood with a new cabinet made from treated wood. at least the glass would be salvageable from the "bad" aquarium  :huh:

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
No need to do anything with the aquarium itself. It's not affected what so ever.

When it comes to replacing wood, it's building it new from scratch. Being all interconnected pieces for the stand means that they probably have tunnels in and out of this tank long before I actually realized that they were there and it wasn't said "substrate" looking stuff coming out of it.

Sadly, my 60-70 hour work week inhibits my care to build it. I'd rather save for another couple of months to buy one again.....Not from scumbag obviously.

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
Quit my job a few weeks ago, so I started building my own. Will have to upload pictures in a little bit.

Little bit on the structure: I went overboard just a smidge which is apparent by the framing that I will show in the pics. Footprint for the aquarium is 48x24 and the stand is 33 3/4 inches tall. I used 96 feet of white pine 2x4's, ~140 9 guage 2 1/2 inch screws. 2 box frames for the ground and aquarium, 2 inner 2x4's at 33 inches tall, and inbetween the boxes are two 26" 2x4's. Decking for the aquarium to sit on is 3/4" ply and the same for the bottom deck for the filter to sit on. After that, wrapped it in sanded 1/2" ply, select sanded 1x4 pine for trim.

Canopy was quite a bit easier as it only has to hold the weight of itself. Total is 14" tall, but only rises 12" above the aquarium to hide the rims on the aquarium itself. Same sanded 1/2" sanded ply, 1x2 box frame, no vertical support. Just 1x2 for attaching the ply to make a box. The flip for it is going to use a 48" piano hinge to hide the gap for light escaping and is 6 inches deep into the aquarium.

All the trim was attached using woodglue and 18 guage finish nails. Tapped in to wood putty over for a clean smooth look.

Now it's time for staining and clear coating.

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
The overboard framing, and yes those are the aquarium doors on the bottom there. I'm not putting any hardware on until it's stained and glossed.

Front of the stand and doors again.

Showing the cut for where the piano hinge will go giving me access to the tank.

Framing inside of canopy

Front of the canopy/tank/top of the stand.

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »
damn, that's a huge top, man! what do you plan to hide in there, the sun? :-P i think you could safely lower its height by half and still fit any neon light you want.

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Haha neon lights....Its not a strip club up there.

Reason I wanted it that high was because I don't plan on putting glass tops on it. So that means any splashing from fish, aeration and myself does not need to touch that light. 12 inches from the rim to the bottom of the canopy. The other aspect is that I knew going into this that I didn't want to have to buy 3 pieces of plywood and only use a little over 2 with a lot of scrap. So that left the 6 inches of room to flip the front face backwards giving me access to the tank for cleaning. My right elbow still doesn't move from a 90 degree angle so it's tricky and I need all the room I can get. Should probably take another picture of the full thing so it's not separate. It looks better when you see all of it.

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
eh, i didn't mean colored neon, but that stripclub might be a nice ideea actually :P
over here we call the white office lights as neon. can't remember what else to call them.. fluorescent lights?
and since we spoke about strip clubs, you might also use led strips if you're worried about splashing. last longer, consume less, and are practically maintenance free. you could probably seal the connections as well and never worry about them.

SheldonR311

• Newbies
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
Pretty impressive sir.  What's your grand plan for it's location?  Is it going in a living room or a rec room or what?
SoupCan
2002 GTI 337 *APR stage 1, homemade cone filter, 42DD 3" downpipe, short shifter, WRD coilovers, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Pioneer F-900BT*
2007 Honda CBR600RR *Hyperflo slip-on, K&N panel filter*
2001 Yamaha Banshee

CDN

• King of Kings
  • FREAK Member
  • エピック
2003 CBR600RR - LCR Honda MotoGP racing body kit, Watsen Designs flush mount signals, Sunstar sprockets, D.I.D. X-Ring race chain, GPR GPE Titanium Carbon Fibre race pipe, Pazzo shorty gold levers, CustomLED Intergrated rear signal/brake light, Puig fender eliminator, PCV, K&N race air filter

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 06:17:22 AM »
Haha, yeah they are called fluorescent lights. I plan on going LED lights with this tank. It being raised 12 inches from the top of the tank I'm pretty safe for not being in the splash zone, because I'm hanging it on the bottom of the canopy. And they do make LED components now for aquariums specifically for being sealed.

Spot where it's going, in my office/game room. Sadly it's tiny, only 9.5x10 FT. With some rearranging from how it was originally my PC, TV with xbox, 34g tank, this 120g and a recliner will be the contents of the room.