Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Time for some D616's...?  (Read 1990 times)

SmokinBob

• Newbies
    • Simmerman Photography
Time for some D616's...?
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
No need to watch this entire video, me rambling on the dirt road that leads to the nearest pavement, you'll get the idea very soon.  Little did I know that it was going to get much worse recently.  Much worse.  Larger rocks, thicker, softer dirt, and, as a bonus, large sticks for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDuhYNdyykE

So far, my experience on dirt roads has served me well--nice and easy, steer with footpegs, ride a higher gear up, etc....but I wonder, even with extreme care, can the tires take it?  The OEM Dunlop Qualifiers, that is.  214K's I think they are. 

I've been looking at the D616's and the Scorpions as an alternative...but, given that this road is only about 1.6 miles of white knuckle excitement, am I overreacting?  Just how delicate is the CBR 600 RR?  Or, rather, the stock tires? 

However, with all of this being stated, I've seen some extremely radical videos of riders taking sport bikes on incredibly rough rides, on purpose!

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Re: Time for some D616's...?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
How much do right on roads like that?  If it's a lot, a different bike you be a better choice, such as a adventure or sport touring bike...  If it's just to get to the good roads,  the standard street tires will hold up fine, just stay away from hypersport type tires (which looks like your already doing)... I run on that kind of stuff all the time on my motard with bt009's and never had any issues.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

SmokinBob

• Newbies
    • Simmerman Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »
It's only about a mile and a half to the nearest road, and I'm definitely not going to buy a different bike :) I stay off dirt roads if at all possible and for the most part it is possible. The road is usually in great shape, smooth and hard packed, but sometimes there are these tiny rocks all over the place on it, I have no idea why.

On the other hand, since making this post, I have seen some truly amazing videos of just what a sport bike is capable of regarding poor roads.

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »
Then no reason to get anything special for Tires...

Yep, it's susprising what a skilled rider can do on pretty crappy roads.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

SmokinBob

• Newbies
    • Simmerman Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
Now all I have to do is be smart and wait for the 45 months of winter to end...already missing the ride!!!

So, maybe I can put some chains on the tires...