Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Bike not turning in like it should  (Read 4047 times)

clustermagnet

• FNG
Bike not turning in like it should
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
Guys, long story short, I've not been riding for a few years since my last crash on the track.
Well, I'm kinda back at it, got an 04600rr

The bike feels like shit turning in.  The front end feels completely different than my old bikes.  It's not the suspension, more of a geometry feeling.

When turning in at almost any speed, it feels like it wants to resist counter steering.  Never felt this in my life. Like you feel the bike should just tip in and respond to counter steering, but it's almost wanting me to do the opposite !

Only thing I can think of is the tires .... Is it possible for the front tire to be worn, and give this horrible feeling ?  Maybe I'm comparing it to my old Michelin slicks ....   But seriously , it's almost a bit scary flicking the thing in.  And yes, it looks worn, but still has tread on it.    Also , front and rear are from different manufacturers I think.

Hope I don't get bashed , but oh well, I deserve a spanking for not doing what I love :)

Best
V

briboy

• "Steal Your Face Right Off Your Head"
Re: Bike not turning in like it should
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
Do the Questionaire,

Get yourself a set of matched tires, there are many threads here regarding what tires are best but I can tell you from past expirience Match them up, every manufacturer does things different so stick with a set. Also get your suspention tuned for your weight. too soft or too hard and it will change the ride completely...
Do you know the bikes history?
What year was your last bike?

clustermagnet

• FNG
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
My sportbike riding history: 
1.) 30K miles on 03gixxer600.  Then it turned into a track bike...
2.) 05 750 track only.
3.) back to 02/03 600 (dont remember), but had inverted forks.

Suspension on the new rig is not ideal by any means.  Probably needs oil, and stiffer springs/racetech cheap redo.

History of the current bike is 100% street squid it seems.  Its in spectacular condition, it just seems the guy who rode it really took 0 turns.

It could also be that im used to a taller profile of a tire... 

Will slap some takeoffs on it, will see what happens :P  (anyone know anyone with takeoffs in Seattle area) ?

Thanks!!!!!

Do the Questionaire,

Get yourself a set of matched tires, there are many threads here regarding what tires are best but I can tell you from past expirience Match them up, every manufacturer does things different so stick with a set. Also get your suspention tuned for your weight. too soft or too hard and it will change the ride completely...
Do you know the bikes history?
What year was your last bike?

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
is it lowered? or, even though i think you may have caught up on this, is it stretched?
tires can and do affect feel, but unless they're flat, it shouldn't be -hard- to turn, just harder.
are you certain the bike wasn't crashed and the frame bent, or the front end changed, and with a bad job of it? anyway, suspension tuning is a must. there's even a thread around here how to do it yourself. won't be perfect, but it will get you almost there.
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

clustermagnet

• FNG
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
God, I hope the bike has not been lowered.  I dont see any suspension geometry modifications.  The forks are lined up even in the tripple...  bike feels OK, except for the way it turns in....

Thanks!

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
couple ideas..... 1) new tires aka take offs.. 2) get your forks serviced 3) check your rebound and dampener adjustments....one side could be off from the other... and being unequal to each other could throw your steering off.
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

clustermagnet

• FNG
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
couple ideas..... 1) new tires aka take offs.. 2) get your forks serviced 3) check your rebound and dampener adjustments....one side could be off from the other... and being unequal to each other could throw your steering off.

love it :)  its probably whats going on...  lack of service.

Thanks folks!

Mintyrr

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »
Pump your tyres up if there low it will feel crap

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
Keeping in mind, it's not a GSXR and definately doesn't handle like one... not worse, just very different.
The 1st (03/04) & 2nd (05/06) gen 600RRs are not the most nimble bikes, in fact they are borderline too stable IMHO.

If you can... toss the stock rear shock in the nearest garbage and pick up something adjustable like a Penske/Ohlins/Elka.  Set it up so it's 8-10mm longer hole to hole than the stock one.
Then drop the forks through the triples (raise the front) so only the fork "cap" is showing (or a small amount of the tube showing - around 5mm).  Ideally you want the bike to be pretty level, maybe just a little nose down, not much...
These 2 alterations will make raise the bike (and center of gravity) up, alter the swingarm angle, and give a bit more trail in the front.  All combined with a decent set of new tires and a good suspension service and will make turn-in MUCH better, while retaining stability under braking and acceleration.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
yeah tige the suspension god out here told me that cbrs like to be nose high....
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:37 PM »
Yep, the 07+ does... which is opposite of what you'd think.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
see, and here I was thinking it was just me with problems flicking in the first gen! Hopped on a gixxer and scared the shit out of myself at how fast she fell into the corners.
hell, I can throw my katana down easier in a corner than I can the CBR... and that's messed up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:20:38 PM by *~c_dubya~* »
#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 02:49:04 AM »
you sure about that, dub? the gixx i previously owned felt like a whale compared to the grace and accuracy of the cbr. haven't tried a katana, though, but i do hear it falls really easy...off cliffs :P
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »
for shizzle.

I race my CBR, and I can never seem to get the flip right. My coach put me on a gixxer for a session and the bike just fell into the corners for me. Maybe it's because of my stature or riding style, but I just can't seem to be able to force my CBR like I can with my kat. Or maybe it's all just one big giant mind-phuck. That's always possible too.
#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 04:02:21 PM »
Yep, every "modern" GSXR I've ridden that was properly set-up was way easier to turn in than any of my CBR's, but also way more unsable when hard on the brakes.  And just think the R6 is even quick on turn in than the GSXR...
I belive the root of the problem in the offset on the triple clamp...  it needs less.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE