Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: lap times  (Read 5751 times)

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
lap times
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:30:13 AM »
so ive been lookin into the cvma and what i need to accomplish in order to be apart of it... it seems that people are running about 2:10-2:15 lap times around chuckwalla for the nrc  (new racers course) my lap times are from 2:25 to 2:33ish..i dont have very accurate times cuz i just used the gopro footage to and time stamped start finish...but im in the ball park.....now how do i shave off 10 15 seconds?! that seems like a HUGE amount of time to take off...i guess im just that slow..lol any ideas? oh and yes i know..seat time... im going back to chucky march 9th...
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Re: lap times
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
 TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL
TRACK / RACE SCHOOL

Seriously...  I'd guess in a single school - 1st time through, you'll knock off 8-10 seconds easy...
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
sooooooooooo are you saying i should attend  a race school?  ::)

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
i just clocked my friends video, he ran A group that day he's averaging around 2:05 so i guess thats the pace gap between C and A about 30 seconds...maybe i should move up to B group and yes look into a school, only problem with the schools is they cost 2x the amount of a track day! lol

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
i just clocked my friends video, he ran A group that day he's averaging around 2:05 so i guess thats the pace gap between C and A about 30 seconds...maybe i should move up to B group and yes look into a school, only problem with the schools is they cost 2x the amount of a track day! lol

Sounds typical,  Yes move up to the B / intermediate group, but be warned... it usually the most congested and has the most accidents.  In fact, try to work your way up to the "A / advanced" group as soon as you can...

And as far as lap times go... comparing racing lap times to track day lap times are apples vs oranges...  don't pay them much attention.  Most "A / advanced" and fast "B/ intermediate" level trackday riders can run the lap times on a trackday, but put them in racing environment for the first time where the passing gets really close (like leaning on and rubbing...), and there very little "give"  i.e. you leave 6" of track on the inside, someone will take it..., and all of a sudden they running mid-back of the pack.  ::).  But on the other side - if you're prepared most people will run faster times in a race then they ever will on a trackday.

As for the cost just realize, with a good school you'll get 10X more out of it vs. a track day...  :thumb:  and then on your future trackdays you won't be practicing the "wrong" way of doing things  :banghead:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:55:09 AM by Jason748 »
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
i still say you get out here and show me...... but you are right... i was talking to a friend who is riding in C group, he's going for the nrc this weekend, and he's doin the jump from C to A he wants his license but that seems like a HUGE step...

vfrbh1

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
As a side the "B" group (intermediate) has some a very diverse riders. There are riders who want to be hero's in this group but would suck in the "C" (advanced) they pass on the straight but stop for the turns, you pass them like they are standing still on the out side of the corner (just do it once or twice because this guy may stand up mid corner and take your line). There are riders who just moved into this level and are very timid (they seem unsure of there line and are continually correcting while leaned over). The point is that there is a lot to learn and observe in this level, but if you don't know what is correct you be getting bad information. At least read a book about track/race riding.
for real change support the fairtax act: fairtax.org

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
C group is advanced where your from?! Lol well I'm in c group now and its beginners level with the org I go with. In march when I go back to chuckwalla ill be going with track daz. Be the first time with them. So we'll see how they run things....and a book about track days seems like a great idea.. Recommend any particular one?

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
My list - in the order I'd recommend:

Keith Code - Twist of the Wrist 2      <- IMHO this is THE BOOK:  really, really dry but it'll change the way you ride!
Lee Parks - Total Control
Andrew Trevitt - Sportbike Suspension Tuning
Nick Ienatsch - Sport Riding Techniques
Keith Code - Twist of the Wrist
Keith Code - Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
I may have TOTWII on pdf if'n you want a copy.
#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
i downloaded the movie the number 2 one lol does that count? either way dub yes please!!!

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
pm me your email address and I'll fire it off to you.
#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
thanks dub!

beer

• Hookers & Blow
  • FREAK Member
  • Go Big or Go Home!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
I'm with Jason. I absolutely hated riding in the B class at a track day. Much more dangerous than any of the other levels.