Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Poll

Which one

CBR600RR
12 (92.3%)
GSXR-600
0 (0%)
R6
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 10394 times)

GTRMino

• FNG
New guy here
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Mike.  I have had my license for 2-3 years now but never went riding,  I don't like using other peoples bikes ???.  So now that I just got a good raise I think I can afford a bike mostly for weekends and sometimes commute to work in the summer.  Before I start a war here I wanted to just say I love all these bikes equally and I have started the same thread on their forums also.  I want either a CBR600RR, GSX-R600 or a R6,  I know most of these bikes are almost the same but I'm new to riding so any info on these would help me greatly I'm sure you guys didn't know everything when you first started to ride.  I am 5'8" ish and the only bike that I kinda had trouble standing with was the R6 I was on my toes.  The other 2 are ok I was flat footed.  However at the dealer the guy told me if I do end up getting a R6 and don't feel comfortable being on my toes I can lower it and it would not do harm to the bike unless I go to a race track or something where I would push the bike to its limits which I will not be doing any time soon.  So I guess my question is which bikes have you guys been on and which would be good for a newbie I guess.  Something for the streets.   I have got my insurance ready full coverage $70 a month I am tuning 24 soon so still not at the 25+ mark yet :( Now I want to decide on the bike I want so I can go shop around I want the bike to be 06+ ANYTHING UNDER $6000 I should be good.   My friends told me they will help me with the gear but wouldn't mind if you guys gave me some good ideas on what is a must and what I don't really need.  Helmet already ordered it Icon Airframe Rubatone.  The rest I would really love to hear what you guys would recommend.  The helmet is on backorder so I can cancel if you guys think it is bad.

Thank you very much

-Mike

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
Re: New guy here
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again- the right bike for you is the one that feels right for you.
If you're not comfortable only having one foot on the ground, then maybe the R6 isn't the right bike for you.
I personally wouldn't buy a bike only to have to change it to change the dynamic of it before being comfortable on it.
That being said, I love the way my thighs fit around the tank of the R6. It's really a hit or miss with picking a bike. You gotta play around with them to find the one that's the best fit for you.

As for gear- being a new rider, get it all. Boots, gloves, pants, jacket, lid, back protector. Hell, if they sold plastic bubbles, I'd recommend that too ;)

#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
they do sell plastic "bubbles", dub. they're called condoms, and i highly recomend them, they offer great protection :-P

well, mike, first of all. you might want to fill the questionaire. it's something we fixate about.
second, welcome to the forums.
third, on to your questions: as you said, the bikes are going to be pretty much the same. all of them will be waaaay over your limits. so you can pick any of them and be certain that you won't outgrow them before you've had your money's worth out of them, and then some. also, it's a very powerfull first bike. i won't try to tell you to get something else, but you must be aware of this thing, and you must treat the bike with respect, whichever you choose. don't, and it will teach you a lesson you won't soon forget.

as for which bike to get.. well, the one that you feel most comfortable on, and the one that you like most. you're going to spend your time in the saddle, so get something that fits you. cbrs are usually thought of as the more road-going, user-friendly, not-so-hurtfull position bike. they also have a reputation for being bulletproof, and they hold their value over time. also, despite having an even more comfortable position than the older versions, the 07-08 600rr (i asume you could get one for 6k) was pretty much the best bike in any test(lightest, easiest to ride, etc). since you want to do a lil commuting, you should have in mind that it's the easiest on the wrists, as bars are higher(the 07+ versions).
r6s have a reputation of being light-nosed, so they wheelie easier (both when you want them, and when you don't). never had one, so i can't vouch for that.
gixxers have a bad reputation reliability wise (see the frame issues, for example). i had one, though it was an older model, 2002 750. it was way heavier, and i felt it ungainly. the cbr feels like an ufo compared to the gixxer. never tried the newer versions, very happy with the rr.

problems with rr? small boot. scratch that, NO boot :-P the central exhaust may warm the seat a bit. i never found it a problem, and with a carbon slip-on, that goes away. other than that, it's all good.

gear wise, follow dub's advice, and get good full gear. if you don't have the money, i suggest you take some from the bike-fund. with 1k you should be able to get a proper full equipment. also, get the msf course. it will help you get to know the bike in "oh shit" moments, and also lower your insurance. as for helmet, i dunno it, so i can't comment. lots of ppl love shark helmets, which are in a similar price range as icon, i belive.

good luck ;D
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
WELL..... lol its my turn!!!!!...............do the questionare or you'll never see your balls again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dub will steel them and add it to her trophy case lol!
as for the bikes....you are posting on a cbr fan forum....biased opinions be lurkin.... lol but like what has been stated what one you feel the most comfortable on, i for one thought the gixxer seat felt the most comfy, but i didnt like how bulky it felt...honestly the cbr fell in my lap so can kick a gift horse in a mouth if you want more lol
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

ian

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
Just.."hide yo kids, hide yo wife"

excat

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
in my experience...

600rr...more forgiving, and all around best bike. best weight, comfort, and riding position combo. it's a bike that you can keep tame if you want it to be, can be crazy if you want it to be, and the easiest bike to get track ready.

r6- it's unforgiving, and a beast. as stated, a wheelie machine. higher seat, and least comfortable riding position in my opinion.

zuki's- ehh...most comfy seat, yes. heavy, yes. most likely to leave you stranded on the side of the road, yes.

ninja- (500cc look dorky, and heavy for the size. just don't like them) i've sat on a zx6r, but i guess it didn't make much of an impression on me because i don't remember it too much.

Spartukus

• GP3 Racing Team
  • Newbies
  • Carpe Deim
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
I notice that Mike never came back....

Here is possibly my first stupid question:
Why is Mike's question a "stupid question" or at least in the stupid question section?
Slow in the straights, Fast in the turns

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:20:18 PM »
because mike the idiot wanted us to tell him what bike to ride and what gear to wear... instead of finding a bike that he actually liked or got gear that he wanted... this isnt motorcycles usa lol its a cbr forum... so guess what our answers are going to be.... ducati of course hahaha and then HONDA. 

Spartukus

• GP3 Racing Team
  • Newbies
  • Carpe Deim
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »
because mike the idiot wanted us to tell him what bike to ride and what gear to wear... instead of finding a bike that he actually liked or got gear that he wanted... this isnt motorcycles usa lol its a cbr forum... so guess what our answers are going to be.... ducati of course hahaha and then HONDA.
I voted for the GSXR since I heard the guys hanging out at the local 7-11 saying that the GSXR is the fastest bike in the world.
At the same time I heard that Red is the fastest color, lots of CBR come in red.  :)
I guess that a Red GSXR would be the bike to go with?   :thumb:
Gear? as long as it matches the bike you are good, if it doesn't match don't bother since the girls won't notice you.  ;D

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
see...now your learnin

ian

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
I voted for the GSXR since I heard the guys hanging out at the local 7-11 saying that the GSXR is the fastest bike in the world.
At the same time I heard that Red is the fastest color, lots of CBR come in red.  :)
I guess that a Red GSXR would be the bike to go with?   :thumb:
Gear? as long as it matches the bike you are good, if it doesn't match don't bother since the girls won't notice you.  ;D
Ducati has red.. ???

Spartukus

• GP3 Racing Team
  • Newbies
  • Carpe Deim
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
Ducati has red.. ???
Don't they have GSXR engines in there? Or is it MV Agustas that have GSXR engines?    :jerkoff: