Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Motoskinz - Vinyl Wrap (big pictures)  (Read 13200 times)

Amory

• Newbies
Motoskinz - Vinyl Wrap (big pictures)
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
This is the first time I have ever wrapped a motorcycle and I had 0 knowledge on how to do it, in spite of this I think I did quite a good job. I highly recommend you have someone help you do this as 4 hands makes this job much easier than 2. Also Motoskinz offers a wrapping service, you can buy your bodywork and get it shipped there first so they can wrap it. Or if you already have your bodywork ship it to them and they will do it for you. They will custom design wraps for you or they have plenty of designs too choose from.

You can use this code to get 10% off: 10 - 01 - 110 (use at motoskinz.com or call 920-238-9090)

This stuff is quite easy to work with and the only things you need other than what they supply you are your fingers and a heat source (hair dryer, heat gun, propane torch, etc.) I found that there will be some small wrinkles and seams with the custom design trying to line things up. With a patterned design I think it would be much easier since nothing has to line up.

To start out with I decided to do the front fender first as it isn't the most visible part and I though it would be the easiet. Well it wasn't the easiest pice as there were lots of curves over a tiny surface area :banghead: Since this was a custom set of vinyls it all had to line up. Anyway this part took about an hour and a half to wrap. If I had done it after doing some other parts and got some experience with the wrap it would have taken half the time. Anyway this is how it turned out:

The next part I worked on was the tail as it was relatively flat in places and didn't have too many curves. This went well and was fairly simple. The only hurdle was splitting the vinyle to go down the two sides of the tail.

As you can see there is a seam down the middle of the seat area, but with some trimming it is barely noticeable.

The next part I tackled was the upper, its huge and the designers made three pieces for me to cover it all. There was 2 hard parts on this part: the ram air intakes and the vents on the sides. I found that if you work around the vent and leave a little bit of extra material and then make some relief cuts you can make it work very well. Btw this is where a hair dryer/heat gun/propane torch come in handy to shape the material to curves.

I just realized that I didn't take any pictures of the lower and the bike didn't have the lower on when I took the pictures of it, doh! Anyway the lower is relatively flat and easy.

The tank was the hardest part for me as it had the most detailed design and I didn't want to stretch it much. Just be patient with wrapping a tank and take your time.

As you can see there are two seams, these are mostly covered by the seat and are a reslut of me not wanting to stretch the material too much.

The finished bike all put together and ready for the race weekend

WMRC/WCC #87

Motorcycle World
Michelin
KBC Helmets
MotoSkinz
SharkSkinz
SPY+ Optic
AMSOIL
DNA Energy Drink
Rockwell Time
Bayside Performance

*~c_dubya~*

• FREAK Member
  • your smiting hurts my delicate soul.
Re: Motoskinz - Vinyl Wrap (big pictures)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:53:22 PM »
not bad, not bad.

how much did that run you?
#99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Amory

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
Just over $400, I think it was like $440ish.
WMRC/WCC #87

Motorcycle World
Michelin
KBC Helmets
MotoSkinz
SharkSkinz
SPY+ Optic
AMSOIL
DNA Energy Drink
Rockwell Time
Bayside Performance

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
dang dude, looks good!!
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

spd-dmn

• Newbies
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
Good job bro. Good price too!   :thumb:

Campe23

• FREAK Member
  • If life gives you Melons, you may be deslexic!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Nice review.  +1 I am definetly going to get mine done.  I think I will send my plastics in though.  I get to frustrated trying to make it perfect.  Now, I have to figure out what design. 

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »
Wow, Looks really great for you're first time wrapping vinyl  :thumb: ... most people don't realize how hard and time consuming it is to wrap something like a bike.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to wrap the new bodywork on my 07, just paint it or do a combination of paint and wrap.  If I still had my 03 or 05 bikes I'd wrap them in a heartbeat, but my 07 just has so many more curves and indentation that make in way harder to wrap.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Amory

• Newbies
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Ya for the most part, the 03-06 bikes aren't that curvy. But for the price and looks I got, it was worth the work IMO.
WMRC/WCC #87

Motorcycle World
Michelin
KBC Helmets
MotoSkinz
SharkSkinz
SPY+ Optic
AMSOIL
DNA Energy Drink
Rockwell Time
Bayside Performance

Wrench87

• Proud Albertan
  • FREAK Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
Damn man, that looks pretty slick, good job for your 1st time :thumb:

Craf†

• you have 1 life to live, at least die like a man, crash in some twisties
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
im surprised on how much you were able to put on your bike and not have it look crowded. props man.!  :thumb: unique . that's for sure

Campe23

• FREAK Member
  • If life gives you Melons, you may be deslexic!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »
Did you give that design, or was it one that they already had made up??  I am wondering how difficult it will be to make up my own design for them to make.  I know they do custom, bbut not sure how difficult it will be.

Spartukus

• GP3 Racing Team
  • Newbies
  • Carpe Deim
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
wow you did a really good job!
Slow in the straights, Fast in the turns

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:16:31 AM »
not trying to pull this one from the grave but i wonder how this guys wrap is doing still
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

06CBRrr

• Newbies
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
Agreed^^^^ Check out hydrographics.... they look and hold up a lot better than vinyl. really sick designs for the film also! 8)
06CBR600rr

David123

• Newbies
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »
Sick bike mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk