Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Hot bike wont turn over with start button?  (Read 77625 times)

LuvMyRR

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
Re:NE1 have this problem? Hot bike wont turn over with start button?
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2003, 03:51:11 PM »
Spoke to American Honda today and they said that they are advising that people who experience this problem should not drive with thier highbeams on.  Didn't speak to Dave but I am calling back and am going to try to get him on the line to see if he will be more helpful.  They are assholes at honda.  

michl_moto

• FNG
  • How low can you go!!
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2003, 08:18:56 AM »
Spoke to American Honda today and they said that they are advising that people who experience this problem should not drive with thier highbeams on.  Didn't speak to Dave but I am calling back and am going to try to get him on the line to see if he will be more helpful.  They are assholes at honda.  

Well, that's not surprising.  I can tell you that dealing with customer service is never an easy procedure because it cost's someone money, usually the company your calling. Be diligent and courteous, and if all else fails raise the issue higher and higher.  I ran into the same trouble but in the end, I was explicitly told that Honda is aware of this problem and has a fix. That fix was to replace the entire charging system with a new revision that has higher outputs and can support the addiditonal amperage draw of the hi beams, that fix is happening now. It was clear that this is a design flaw.  Understand that this is a first year run, manufacturers always have issues with that.  We are there beta testers.

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2003, 08:41:44 AM »
You guys are just using the bike wrong...

Pull the lights! they don't do you any good on the track anyhow  ;D
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2003, 11:14:18 PM »
Good point Jeff, but what about those who didn't buy the bike to race? Then again you could just duct tape a mag light to the front fender. That will be Honda's fix for the problem.
Never seen, Always heard

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2003, 11:19:38 PM »
michl_moto, in your last post you had mentioned that the fix is happening now. Did you catch wind whether or not Honda is planning a recall for everyone to get the fix, or only the squeekyest wheels will get the oil?
Thx

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2003, 11:22:56 PM »
So would stuff like this be covered in a recall when the warranty runs out? Anyone?  :P
Never seen, Always heard

michl_moto

• FNG
  • How low can you go!!
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2003, 12:26:54 AM »
michl_moto, in your last post you had mentioned that the fix is happening now. Did you catch wind whether or not Honda is planning a recall for everyone to get the fix, or only the squeekyest wheels will get the oil?
Thx
Wolfy, Squeaky wheel syndrome unfortunately!

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2003, 09:46:55 AM »
So would stuff like this be covered in a recall when the warranty runs out? Anyone?  :P

Raise enough of a stink and it'll get replaced regardless of age...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

Christian

• FREAK Member
  • Let'r rip!
    • My website
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2003, 05:47:28 PM »
I ride with my highbeams on all the time and the only problem I have experienced is one time when I stopped and shut off the motor for a very short time it was slow to turn the engine over when I went to start it again but did start a few seconds later. Other than that I have been golden.
-Chris
2003 Red CBR600RR
NESBA #302
CCS #793
M4 full exhaust, GoodRidge SS brake lines, SBK-3 pads, Yoydyne frame sliders, swingarm sliders, MD Performance bodywork, CFM Rearsets and Clip-ons, GPR steering stabilizer, Vortex sprockets

cpchillin

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2003, 01:50:00 AM »
If having the high-beams on causes the problem than it's the relay that is mounted in between the headlights!! If the relay is getting to hot than maybe the metal won't touch right, but that seems awfully weird.

michl_moto

• FNG
  • How low can you go!!
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2003, 10:18:37 PM »
Alright new twist, I went to the dealer to pick my bike up on Friday. They finally finished the warranty work for the starting problem.  I was told previously that Honda was aware of the problem and has a fix.  The fix was to replace every aspect of my charging system, regulator/rectifier, stator, battery etc... The dealer completed the work and said we will see you soon, in a weird way. I said why is that? Well come to find out Honda doesn't have a fix. They are aware of the problem and want a bunch if these systems failing to analyze. So come to find out they haven't fixed anything they just replaced my parts with OEM parts. Well it will be interesting if I still see the problem. I will let everyone know when and if I experience the problem again. I hate the games they are playing with me on this problem.

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2003, 10:28:24 PM »
michl_moto, sorry to hear about that. I was starting to think that I might be seeing light at the end of the Honda tunnel.

I have a question to pose to any fellow RR riders that has made te HID conversion. Since one main contributing factor to this problem is hi-beams being on, are there anyone having this problem after making the change to HID? Would anyone know how much power is drawn by the HIDs on Hi-Beam? Also,I'm hoping anyone with HIDs to perhaps experiment with their HIDs being on Hi-Beams all the time for a day or two.

If HIDs can solve this problem and let me have my Hi-Beams back without the chance of pushing my bike around town, then HIDs wold be a very worthwhile investment for me.

cpchillin

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2003, 09:41:38 PM »
HID's when warmed up pull about 30% less current than halogen bulbs! I think that the problem is that the starting relay is right between the two headlights. Now I can't remember if the HID's run cooler than the halogens. Honda needs to figure out a better place to put the starting relay. I haven't had the problem and I've been running my bike hard in 90 degree heat with high humidity.

CBRMarine

• My other bike is a tank
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2003, 10:17:32 PM »
Just knowing how relays work in cars. I almost positive the relay is the problem. They work by an electrical charge being applied to an electromagnet(hitting the starter button) and this attracts a metal rocker to connect to the contact. If it get overheated, it may cause the mount the rockers are on to shrink just enough to jam the rocker. BUT if you hit the starter button and still hear a click then this can not be your problem... Listen to the relay when you start. They are normally pretty audible.  If this is the problem, Honda will have to relocate it.

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2003, 04:03:43 PM »
Just curious. I know there are alot of members in this forum that's not here in US or Canada, but in GB, Australia, etc. Are there any members not in North America that are also having this problem with their RR? If so, how are your dealerships treating you?