Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Hot bike wont turn over with start button?  (Read 74728 times)

LuvMyRR

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
Re:NE1 have this problem? Hot bike wont turn over with start button?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2003, 11:39:28 PM »
My bike does this too!  The first thing I would suggest is calling American Honda Motors (check your owner's manual) and register a complaint!  If there are enough of us that speak up  they may issue a recall to fix the affected units. I think some techs are looking into it as we speak.  I have noticed however that the problem is exasperated by use of high beams at low RPMs (stop and go traffic) and by heat (regulator/rectifier shutdown?)  I also find that if I give it some really good revs before I know I am going to be turning off the bike it helps a bit too!  I did not buy a Ducati for the reasons I am experienceing now.  I thought Hondas were supposed to be rock solid (like the Civics) :'(

I will wait for a few months next time before I buy a brand new model of bike though.

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2003, 02:24:48 AM »
Fellow HOT Bike sufferers, I would lodge a complaint with AHM but I'm in Canada. I will put forth my input to Honda motorcycles here in Canada. I called around a couple of dealerships here, none of them has seen this problem. I'm not sure if that's the standard reply or really they have not seen any with these problems.
I found that now my bike starts after a long cooling down period, but it's still taking 2-3 cranks before the motor kicks in. It's latenight here right now, I'm going to the gym in my complex and work out for half an hour. I'm gonna make sure if the same proble happens tomorrow, I'll be pumped enough to even push start it going uphill. :-\

BananaRider

• FREAK Member
  • The pipe is the perfect punchline indicator.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2003, 11:48:30 PM »
I live in San Diego and the weather has been pretty warm lately. my high beam is on pretty much all the time and there is much stop and go traffic here and so far havent had any starting problems, but if i do start to experience this problem i will have to make a complaintto AHM.
I used to do drugs... I still do, but i used to to.

Mitch Hedberg

LuvMyRR

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2003, 09:24:03 PM »
Went to a Honda dealer today for something unrelated, but I asked one of the service guys if he had heard anything about this problem that some of us are experiencing.  He knew what I was talking about before I even opened my mouth.  He said that Honda is definately aware of it and it is a big problem and  that the "may" issue a recall.  But when you think about it,  how bad would the publicity be for this bike and for Honda who hyped this bike so much?  So if you are interested in a fix, then I think just harrasing your dealer and Honda Motors personally within your warranty period, maybe they'll do something.  For now I just keep the revs up and don't use my highbeam in hot, stop and go traffic and I usually don't have a problem.

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2003, 10:58:09 PM »
Thanks for the info LuvMyRR. If you manage to catch the Recall number when and if Honda decide to act on this, please post. I will be going going down to my dealership weekly also. If I catch wind of a Recall number, I will post the info immediately.

michl_moto

• FNG
  • How low can you go!!
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2003, 01:10:14 PM »
Well, I called the dealership today, I'm bringing the bike in tomorrow. It has 550 miles on it and I had nothing but problems starting it all weekend. I rode hwy at 6-7000rpm all day and everytime I tried starting it after getting gas or tunring it off it wouldn't start. If I left the bike for a hour or so it starts right back up. The dealership has told me I can't run my hi-beams all the time. The 600RR is optimized and can't put off enough power to charge the battery if the hi's are on too long. They just want to "look" at it but they don't think they can do anything. They have told me not to run the hi beams. I'm sorry, but if this is the best honda can do with their reputation I don't want a Honda CBR600RR anymore. I think I will start shopping for a nice left over Yamaha R1 for almost the same price I see they are pricing them at $8,899 right now on all colors. I hate to take this route. I like the bike otherwise, but if I have to pop it everytime to start it I'm afraid I'm going to start doing other damage to the bike.

Badkarma

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2003, 11:21:45 AM »
See, this is where it doesn't make sense...  if the battery is too weak, why would it start when cooled?  Something else is wrong...

CBRMarine

• My other bike is a tank
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2003, 08:25:24 PM »
After reading all of these posts I decided to see if my bike had any of the problems riding around with the high beams on. Monday, I rode around for about an hour in traffic. (I moved about a total of 7 miles the whole hour) Luckily I had no problems starting afterwards. It was like 89 that day and the water temp stayed around 224F. Today I took it to work, a 50 mile round trip and also I had no problems. I'm going to keep checking.
Also, I talked to the dealer. He said he hasn't heard from anyone around town with the same problem.
If something comes up I'll be sure to make a complaint to Honda and let you guys know what happened. Maybe we can figure this out w/o Honda.

michl_moto

• FNG
  • How low can you go!!
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2003, 03:15:27 PM »
     Ok, here ya'all go!

I just got off the phone with American Honda Corporation, Customer Service, 310-532-9811 ask for Dave and tell him Michael from Atlanta sent you.  I brought my bike into the dealer last week, they didn't have a clue what was going on, dorks (i.e. Lawrenceville Honda, Ga).  I then filed a complaint to Honda at the number listed.  AHC customer service called the dealer and talked them through checking my 600RR.

Honda is aware of the problem, in fact so much so they have a fix!!! Yippie, we are all not nuts after all!!!! Well the good/bad news. They are replacing every aspect of my charging system. Battery, regulator/rectifier, etc etc.... I really am very happy that honda has acknowledged the problem and that they have a fix now. We just need to keep the preassure on so that everyone with this problem is made aware and gets the fix on there new CBR600RR!!! The bad news is I've had my bike into the dealer for 5days before they even had a chance to look at it, they now need to order the parts and then install them. It looks like two weeks I will be without my bike!!! Beware if you plan on going this route and get the fix!!! That is unless your dealer is more efficient than Lawrenceville Honda in Georgia is. If you have friends in the ATL tell them NOT TO BUY at Lawrenceville Honda...PLEASE!!!!

Good luck and let me know how you all made out!!! Also realise this if your bike is not experiencing this problem now, it will at some point unless you get his fix or it was made with the fix already on the production line. Put the preassure on Honda, they have a great name and great products I don't want to see them get a bit laxed.

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2003, 04:53:04 PM »
ok, here's the solution to everyone's problem, i'll make a C/F r/r bracket with a C/F heat shield for the inside, you can buy it and see if that's the prob.

Go ahead... but you'll induce another problem.  The bike won't run...

The R/R needs to be grounded out by contact  8)

Also, as a side-note, during my 700 miles of race conditions so far, I have had ZERO problems with the bike starting, even when it's +220deg.  Then again, if I don't have any lights, etc I likely wouldn't experience it...

Good to see Honda has a fix, now I'll just have to take a look to see if its worth my time to replace the stuff, esp since I don't have a problem...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 04:57:09 PM by Jeff »
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

CocaColaKid

• Only the real thing!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2003, 05:21:08 PM »
1. Check the battery voltage during this condition
2. Check the current draw on the battery with ignition on
3. Check current when turning over bike, or trying to turn over bike
4. After trying to turn over the bike is the headlight really dim? If not then the problem is not battery related.

Something that might be worth looking at is faultly starter motor windings. When they get hot they might short out and produce the same effect. Let it cool down and it works fine. Since everything is packed in so close the heat coming off the engine would be transferred into the starter.

LuvMyRR

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2003, 07:56:23 PM »
Hey thank mchl-moto!

Going to call Honda tomorrow and get that guy Dave to contact my delaer and inform them of the fix.  Hope everything will go smoothly.  

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2003, 11:32:07 PM »
Thanks michl_moto , good work :) :) :). I got a question for fellow canadians. Are there any fellow Canucks having this problem? Talked to two dealerships and we seems to be three steps behind.  :-\If anyone knows that Honda Canada came up with a fix also, please post. I will do likewise.

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2003, 10:48:43 AM »
It's too cold in Canada for you to experience these types of problems  ;D
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2003, 12:56:20 PM »
Yeah Jeff, I wish that was the case. No such luck. Had to roll start my bike a few times already. Haven't experienced the problem again, but I also haven't turned on my highbeams since my last roll start few weeks back.  :'(
I WANT MY HI-BEAMS back