Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Hot bike wont turn over with start button?  (Read 75416 times)

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
Re:NE1 have this problem? Hot bike wont turn over with start button?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 10:25:26 AM »
totally agree with Hondatech here.

The R/R hot/cold/in/out has NO bearing on whether the bike will start.  Only whether the battery will be charged.  (well, actually you'd have to jumper two wires to start the bike without the R/R)

I had a trail 90 which had a bad RR that I used to run just off of battery alone.  It ran great until the battery died.  Then I'd have to recharge.

Something else is causing the problem...  
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

hondatech

• Throbbing member
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride and Smile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 11:28:51 AM »
totally agree with Hondatech here.

(well, actually you'd have to jumper two wires to start the bike without the R/R)

I didn't think this was true, but I didn't to argue unless I could prove it. I went down and tried it. Bike will start with the reg/rec completely removed from the system. Started and idled normally.
Justin
If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

Badkarma

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 03:30:07 PM »
Yes the bike can start without the R/R, but you are taking the situation out of context.
  In your scenario, the bike is not hot, fan is not on full blast, nor is the R/R next to the headers for extended period of time.  In fact, if the R/R has been failing due to heat, the drainage on the battery is subjected to time.

Here are some possible scenarios:
Sitting in normal traffic Ė R/R overheats stops working correctly, drains your battery, get back on the highway, R/R cools down, recharges the battery - rider never even notices a problem.

Sitting in normal traffic Ė R/R overheats stop working correctly, drains your battery, the bike goes off for any reason, and (with the fan on full blast) rider canít start the bike and/or notices a slow start condition.  Though when the bike cools down, fan not on full blast, now just enough to turn the bike over.

Does any of this make any sense?

Iím only trying to share information; I hope I didnít upset anyone
  :-*

hondatech

• Throbbing member
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride and Smile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 07:37:03 PM »
No one is upset, but the regualtor/rectifier just doesn't seem like it could be the problem. If it allows the battery to drain, then the bike won't start. It won't start hot and it won't start cold. The fan running wouldn't affect this. The fan takes nothing to run. It wouldn't keep the starter from spinning. Is the rr near the headers of the RR? Thats piss poor placement, to be sure. And for the record, the r/r has to be damn hot to stop working. Like really really hot. And when it gets there, it's time for replacment, it won't start working again. I'd bet large sums of money the reg/rec isn't going to turn out to be the culprit.
Justin
If you expect the unexpected, doesn't that make the unexpected, the expected?

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 08:49:15 PM »
I'm not offended or anything, and don't have my nickers in a bunch or nothing either.

The thought though is that if the battery was being drained this marginal by a reg/rect going on/off, it would appear pretty obvious, as the bike would BARELY crank over when cold.  

There's something else in it that's causing a vapor-lock condition (if that's even possible now-a-days), or the heat is expanding something...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

Crash716

• JDUB THE AW
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2003, 09:51:02 PM »
I have had this problem, mine was fine when the low beams were on but after the highbeams were on for awhile and i shut the bike off it would not start.  Now i didn't wait for it to cool, i just jump started it and had no problems.  The only problem with jeff's theory is that low or high beams would have nothing to do with vapor lock problem or something expanding.  all of you have valid points but i took mine to the dealer and i now have a new Reg/Rec on order cause the old one isn't putting out enough juice to over come the highbeams drain when it gets hot, IE stop and go traffic in SOCAL.  Now whether or not my dealer (House of Motorcycles) or as i affectionitally call them "House of Thieves" knows what their doing is another story, but as soon as i get my baby back with her new Reg/Rec i will run it with the high beams in slow, hot traffic just to see if any of us know what the problem really is.  For know i have to put faith in my dealer though.
Sorry dude. no pics in signatures. See FAQ's.

Badkarma

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2003, 12:44:36 AM »
I also have this happen to my personal 600rr, hence the spark in my interest in following up.  Though my experience did not lead me stranded, (facing SF down hills, I was able to pop start the bike)
Once it wouldn't start, on subsequent reproduction, a weak start condition.

Yes, the R/R is mounted mere 6 inches away from the headers in the front left on by the engine mount...  It would seem that the very heat sink designed to dissipate heat is now operating to "warm" up the R/R...

I'm still betting on the R/R being the issue, having my share of VFR users complaints, the "updated" R/R on the VFR is merely a added heat shield.

PRIEST

• 311 is the Greatest of ALL
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 05:46:16 PM »
 Dont mean to jump into your fight here but mine did the same thing and i turned the idle speed up to around 1300 and it is way better no more problems when hot, i think was running around 900 or so, hey check it out it may work!

michl_moto

• FNG
  • How low can you go!!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 07:01:44 PM »
Wow, I stumbled on this topic with my quest to find out if anyone else was having the same problem as I.  
     I live near Atlanta, Georgia and I had am experiencing the same issue with the bike not starting.
     I was riding on I85 and pulled off for a fuel stop, filled up and the bike wouldn't crank. I had to pop it in second from a rolling start. I got home after riding the interstate the rest of the way and turned it off, then tried again and still it wouldn't start. I waited a few hours went back out to my bike and bingo she started right up. Anyway after calling the dealer the next day they asked me to bring it in and had noooo idea what it could be. They haven't had anyone else come in with that problem. They claim to be the highest volume dealer around. I really have a hard time believing that no one else is having this problem from around ATL.
     Additionally I can tell you it was around 85 degrees out and more noteably I had my high beam on to be more visible to other drivers. One more thing to note is I did change out my 55/60 H7 bulbs with 100w Bright white bulbs. I have 450 miles on my bike and have not had this problem until now, it clearly is a thermal related issue!  I will bring up this forum to the dealer when I bring the bike in...that is if it ever stops raining!!!!!!  

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 11:37:58 PM »
I always run with the highbeams on and have been in 95-100 degree weather and I have not had one problem. I doubt it has anything to do with the lights at all.
Never seen, Always heard

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2003, 06:17:38 PM »
ok, here's the solution to everyone's problem, i'll make a C/F r/r bracket with a C/F heat shield for the inside, you can buy it and see if that's the prob.

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2003, 12:50:57 AM »
It sounds heat related. Has anyone checked the coolant temp when the bike starts to have this problem?
Never seen, Always heard

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2003, 06:51:02 PM »
I have been monitoring these post for a while. All the while thinking, man, I'm pretty lucky Vancouver BC Canada's not that hot and I have not had this problem. Well, just joined the club today. After riding for about an hour, part freeway part city, the bike simply refuse to turn over. The lights on the instrument panel all shining bright, didn't look like lack of cranking joice. Push the starter button, tweet tweet, nothing. Between two three cranks the speedo would swing to the end and a light beeping sound. Luckily I was half a block to a hill. Push push push, down the hill and roll started the bike. I revved the motor pretty high for about 10 minutes. Then went to a 7-11 to get some milk, wife's orders. Came out, and the SAME DAMN PROBLEM. Only this time no hill, OH CRAP. I kinda lucked out this time. The 7-11 is in the middle of Vancouver's skidrow, and a fellow down on his luck came up to me and said 'just sit, I'll push'. He managed to get it up to around 15km/hr. Pop, and the bike started. I'm really really hoping that some fellow RRer that has had this problem has this problem solved and post his solution. Vancouver's roads are pretty flats. I hate to be constantly relying on the kindness of others. Especially, this is a BRAND NEW BIKE with only 300km on it.

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2003, 07:03:35 PM »
Has anyone taken the bike to the dealership for evaluation yet? The damn thing is under warranty and they might have an idea of what is wrong. Just a thought though.
Never seen, Always heard

Wolfy

• Dogs of War
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2003, 07:59:22 PM »
My dealer is thinking it might be running Hi-beams on slow traffic. He said that the battery isn't recharging quick enough to make up for the Hi-beam battery drain when it's under 3000 rpm. He wants me to bring the battery in. They'll charge it up for 5 hours then go from there. I gonna run the bike for a few days on Lo-beam and see if the problem goes away. I'm grabbing at straws here. If the problem is the Hi-beam battery drain, would a more powerful aftermarket battery make the problem go away, and allow me to run Hi=beams all the time?