Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Hot bike wont turn over with start button?  (Read 78398 times)

laubin

• FREAK Member
  • MSF SITH LORD
Re:NE1 have this problem? Hot bike wont turn over with start button?
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2004, 12:03:19 AM »
IMOP optima is overated . We jumped on that ban wagon for our fllet vehicles and found they have alot of charging problems..ie optimas like to be slow charged...really slow..don't know if they weighed more..but they sure cost more and went just as dead as anything else we could get our hands on....Our battery''s fluid level cannot be checked in the bike...Really I was commenting on the angle  for the sake of it...my last battery in my 900 sat pretty much level....doesn't really matter
The force is strong with you Young Skywalker, ...but you are not yet a Jedi...

Souperfly

• FREAK Member
  • I have a fever, the prescription is more cowbell!
    • My gallery
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2004, 09:51:57 AM »
I've only had one problem with my RR not starting.  But that was during a ERC course where we rode for 3min, turned the bike off, started then rode again for about 3min..   Fan was blowing the entire time, bike hovered around 220F.  But I think the culpret there was starting, stopping, and the fact that I let the fan run with the bike off to try and cool it down.  A quick push start and a couple runs up to higher RPM and it started fine everytime.

;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brandon Key
1999 Suzuki RM 250 (enduro/hare scrambles)
2004 Suzuki RM 250 (sold! 05 RM450Z waiting for me!)
2003 Honda CBR600RR Red, cause its faster!
"Valor is of no service, chance rules all and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards." Tactius (A.D. 54-119)

pUrExTc

• UH-OH.com is NOT work friendly!
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2004, 09:20:07 PM »
i finally had this problem.

i drove from school to work (and had lots of red lights to wait through).  when i stopped at work to pick up my pay check, i was there for maybe 5 minutes.  i came back out to start my bike, but it wouldn't start.  in the end, i push started it...put it in 1st, pulled in the clutch, and pushed it down the street.  got it up to 5~7MPH and kept truckin'.  did this for quiet some time, and hit the starter...no go.  clock was reset to 1:00 and no sound from the starter at all.  just a clicking when i'd push the starter.  had to call HRCA for free road side assistance.

although HRCA's rep did apologize for the inconvenience, and the jump was paid for by Honda, if this has been happening a lot, when it does happen to you, take advantage of your HRCA benefit.  if it happens as much as it seems to be occurring on this forum, and enough calls are put in to HRCA, maybe they'll remedy our problem.

it sucks that this happened on my day off, but it could've been worse.  it could've been on a day when i work, making me late...
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to smoke V8's.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR (Stolen)
image removed. Sorry, see FAQ's

desertcbr

• FREAK Member
  • Nothing but sun!
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2004, 10:11:46 PM »
FYI on this problem. I got my bike during a mild heat wave here in AZ so it's already been in temps of 95 degrees in traffic and so far no heat related issues. The bike is a 2003 model. My typical temp at a stop light is 220-222, the fan kicks in at 220 degrees.

D
Desertcbr now with wings! -   "Fear is the mind-killer"  D=Dan

imahontech

• FNG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2004, 10:42:08 PM »
The batteries are sealed at the factory. The dealer doesn't add fluid or even check the fluid. If the battery doesn't read the right voltage the dealer should charge the battery before putting it into a new bike.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 10:45:37 PM by imahontech »

RandomJointer

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2004, 10:52:31 AM »
I was wondering if this problem maybe due to the indicator lights being permanantly lit on US bikes. I haven't heard of anyone in Blighty having this problem. Maybe with 4 extra bulbs lit and the highbeams on it's more than the battery/charging system was designed to service.

CaliColin

• FNG
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2004, 02:36:26 AM »
Hey, nobody here mentioned that they added a heat shield to the regulator/rectifier for the '04 models. My co-worker got an '04 and it's clearly visible through the big hole in the fairing. Obviously it was a problem.

desertcbr

• FREAK Member
  • Nothing but sun!
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2004, 03:12:33 PM »
Hey, nobody here mentioned that they added a heat shield to the regulator/rectifier for the '04 models. My co-worker got an '04 and it's clearly visible through the big hole in the fairing. Obviously it was a problem.

If it is or was a problem then why is my bike not showing symptoms? I just had her out the other day and was stuck in traffic coming back from a long ride, the traffic was stop and go and she was getting hot (227 degrees F.) I got stuck behing a train crossing so I decided to shut the bike off, I thought at that very moment "oh shit, I hope it starts again, that damn hot start issue!" Well, the gates lifted and she kicked over w/o the slightest hesitation. My bike is 2003 model.

Just thought I would add this update, as it gets hotter I will post if I run into any problems.

D
Desertcbr now with wings! -   "Fear is the mind-killer"  D=Dan

CustOm_600RR

• FNG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2004, 12:46:11 PM »
I have had the same problem. It seems like the battery isn't charging. I went and asked my local honda dealership and they told me that Honda built this bike so that the bike can only handle so much of power draining equip b4 the battery dies. The rr was supposedly built so that it doesnt really charge up your battery unless u hit the fwy @ high speeds. The manager @ the dealership told me that it requires for you to pass 8000rpm for the battery to start charging and if you have any aftermarket headlights then that may be draining your battery to so it wont start. He also said that honda buil it this way because it gives it more power or sumdin like that... maybe thats why it's shuutting off on you. The bike isnt chargin when your on idle or on city streets. It's really meant for track and not street riding. So yea.. i guess you juss gotta pik up the revz. I know where your coming from... my bike has died twice in the last 2 months. Well good luck to you guys

pUrExTc

• UH-OH.com is NOT work friendly!
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2004, 04:46:24 AM »
read the MOM.  charging starts at 5000 RPM.

had this problem, took it to the dealer, told me my bike wasn't charging the battery at all.  a rectifier problem.  replaced it with a '04's.  works just fine now.  all covered by warranty.

i don't think it's the 8000rpm mentioned before.  i rode from ucla to home (about 45 min) at 90 MPH non-stop.  got home just fine.  wouldn't start the next day.

take your bikes in to your dealers before your warranty is up!
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to smoke V8's.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR (Stolen)
image removed. Sorry, see FAQ's

LuvMyRR

• Newbies
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2004, 04:24:16 PM »
Yeah, my bike would'nt start after 20 plus minutes on the freeway at above 8000 RPMs. That's  Bulls**t!  TOok it to the dealer.  They replaced the rectifier.  Still sucks.  Took it back.  They have '04 parts on order: rectifier, stator etc.  They sayt that Honda says this will cure the problem. I heard of another guy who went through this and the '04 parts did not help.  

I am curious to see how my bike will behave after this swap out.

I can understand that maybe under some circumstances like having the bike idle for half an hour with the fan on but not after riding the freeway for half an hour with no fan activitiy or highbeams.

Lily

• FNG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2004, 03:11:39 AM »
I'm so glad to hear that this is a component problem.  I was starting to feel bad cuz my friend told me the battery drained because I wasn't riding enough and should be ashamed to call myself a biker (even though the problem occured at the end of a full day of riding...)

Anyhow, it appears that only some will have this problem because my last one, which got stolen at 1200 miles, had zero problems... whereas my current one died at 960... wouldn't start even after it cools down.

Thanks to all you knowledgable people... I will call my dealer tomorrow to see about that warranty on the regulator/rectifier.

hondaGURL600RR

• FNG
  • Honda chick!
Re:Hot bike wont turn over with start button?
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2004, 11:55:41 PM »
Okay...I've read through this entire thread and I really wished I read this a year ago when I first got my 600rr. The day after I brought my bike home, we had the same problems, but being the newbies we are, we just thought it was battery problems. We let the bike charge every once in a while and it was fine until I took it in for my 600 mile service.  We told the dealer (Quinsey Powersports, Lemon Grove - San Diego) about it and they said they would check the charging systems while it was there for the service. When we picked up the bike, they said that it was fine and the battery was at full charge.  So we didn't think much of it and would ride the bike every weekend or every other weekend. 3 or 4 months ago we decided to buy a battery tender to see if trickle charging it while in between riding sessions would help, and it did, until last week. We went for a pretty long ride around San Diego, and on the way home we stopped to eat. My bike must have been turned off for at least 30-45 minutes, and it wouldn't start when I was ready to leave. It was pretty embarassing being the only one in our group that was having problems. So...we hooked the sucker up to the batter tender yet again this past week...and went to get gas in my bike before another long ride...and it died AGAIN...this time while taking a turn. Today I was so fed up with it, because I've called the dealer 3 or 4 times and even threatened to report them to the BBB and the Honda Motorcycle Corp. because they won't do anything about this problem. I paid an extra $500+ for an extended warranty that they won't even use! Today I went to Alba Action Sports in Poway to get a battery and paid for it just to see if it really is the battery. I'm assuming that if this doesn't solve the problem, I must be having the same problem that everyone else is having. But, just to be safe, I'm going to try out the new battery JUST so I can have something to back up my story when I go back to Quinsey and really file a complaint with their GM.

Anyhow...just had a few questions though before I do try to take my bike in for service under the warranty.

1) Do I HAVE to take my bike back to the dealer I purchased the warranty through, or can I take it to another dealer for warranty service?

2) How much haggling did you have to do to get someone to finally contact Honda directly about this problem?

3) After replacing the '03 parts with '04 parts, did the problem stop?

600DubRizzle

• FREAK Member
  • Mmmm....beer
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2004, 07:24:20 AM »
1) Do I HAVE to take my bike back to the dealer I purchased the warranty through, or can I take it to another dealer for warranty service?

No, you can take it to any Honda dealer for warranty repair.  

I'm not sure about the other questions.  Good luck, and welcome to the site. 8)
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Greg2561

• FNG
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2004, 08:43:41 PM »
Most likely your regulator/rectifier (R/R) has gone south, another not uncommon problem with CBR's. The R/R is a part of the charging system that regulates the voltage to keep the battery charged. When the R/R fails the battery is not being sufficiently recharged, and the bike will not have enough electrical power to run and will stop running.

To check the R/R, recharge your battery, and check the voltage with a multi-meterónote the reading. Start the bike and recheck the battery voltage. While checking rev the engine to approximately 5K rpm slowly while checking your multi-meter. If you don't see the voltage rise as it revs to somewhere between 13 and 15 volts, you have a problem.

The most common problem that would cause this is that the R/R is not working, which on a CBR600 is located on the right rear subframe behind the body panel.

And Hondatech, you are right, the R/R has nothing to due with starting the bike. It will start without it as you say. But what you fail to understand is that if the R/R overheated, it stopped performing, thus was not charging the battery. Hense, when the bike was shut off, the voltage was already below 12v, probably somewhere around 10.5 or maybe less. Therefore, the bike would not start.

My R/R just recently started going bad on my 94 CBR900. Of course, I did not know this at the time, but I was having the same problem. Would start fine, drive 30 miles or so, turn the bike off and try to restart right away, forget it. I thought it was the battery at first, so I replaced it. Same thing happened again.  ;)

I hooked up a voltage meter wired directly to the battery and mounted it next to the tach. Startup was fine, showed 12.5 volts and went to 12.9v at idle. Revved it up and got 13.5v. So far so good. Went for a ride and at 5000 rpm was at 14.1v. All of the sudden, it dropped to 13.3, then 13.1, then 12.9 then 12.6, then 12.4, then 12.2. This was all while at or above 5k rpm. revving higher actually seemed to make it worse. Realizing this was a bad thing, I pulled the clutch in, turned off the iginition(while doing about 90 mph), restarted and was back up to 14.1v. The more I rode the more I had to play this start restart game. I was about 50 miles from home, so I decided to just hit the kill switch while the clutch was in, and hit run, then release the clutch to restart. I figured this was wearing the battery down more, as well as the starter. I eventually made it home after doing this at least 30 times.

The problem is that without a voltmeter, you have no way of knowing that the R/R is failing, and therefore by the time you realize it, it is too late. You have either lost power while riding, or stopped and couldn't restart because the battery is completely dead.

Honda is very aware of this problem and has rectified the rectifier by adding heat fins to help dissipate the heat. Here is a statement from a parts supplier:
It is well known that the NC35/NC30 and many
other Honda models' Regulator/Rectifiers would
often go bad and cause riders to get stranded
without lights at night, and even completely stranded in the middle of nowhere.  Honda has done something about it.

Part numbers 31600-KY2-600,
31600-KY2-701, 31600-KY2-702,
31600-Ky2-703 and 31600-MV4-000 have
now all been replaced by Honda
part number
31600-MV4-010.

Now with cooling fins to help prevent
overheating.

I have also read of people putting CPU cooling fans on the rectifier, and moving the rectifier to in front of the radiator where it will get cooler air. The part is expensive from Honda, about $200. I am going to get one this week, and am already making plans to do one of the previous methods to reduce heat on the rectifier so as not to burn up another one. Good luck guys, hope this helps a little. I am still pissed off about it, but at least I know what the problem is. That makes me feel a little better!