Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 2009 Race Report #2: CRA, Round #3, Brained International Raceway  (Read 19613 times)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
2009 Race Report #2 from CRA, Round #3, Brained International Raceway, Long course, July 17-19, 2009.

I know, it's been awhile, but here it is  :thumb:, my ramblings from my latest racing adventures...

Obviously I missed round #2 in June because of a last minute "work" trip... but managed to make it to round #3, so here it is!  Good news is the truck is all back together and I encountered no issues, in fact it pulled the trailer better than ever.  So with the truck and bike back in top condition I was ready to go.

Now, on to the race weekend ramblings!

My race weekend started out on Thursday, July 16.  I loaded all my bike and gear into the trailer, hooked up the truck and headed out about 3:30.  Stopped just south of the MPLS / St Paul area to pick up my pit crew aka Dad, and managed to get up to BIR around 8:00.  Got checked in, cleaned enough stuff out of the trailer to blow up the air mattresses, plugged my generator into the trailer, fired up the heater (it was a balmy 50 degrees at night).  About that time Rob (Lithium motorsports) pulled in so I had to go over, say hello and give him a hard time about the collarbones  :( before I turned in for the night.

Friday  Friday was practice day, but it was still very cool out and was misting, not really raining, but not dry - just a steady mist.  Quick ran through tech, threw on my warmers and then helped my pit neighbor (new racer Greg Sand, who is riding a 05/06 600RR, with a old set of my bodywork on it) get his new woodcraft stator cover installed and give him a quick once over to make sure he would pass tech with no issues.  About 5 min's before heading for my first practice session, it start raining just a little... so  knowing full well slicks and a cold damp track don't mix well I elected to sit out.  I ended up sitting out all but 1 1/2 sessions in the morning because of the damp track.  luckily at lunch time, the sun popped out and was able to get in all the session for the rest of the day.  Did a little more set-up on the bike adjusting suspension & geometry, went back to practicing the basics, tried some different lines in a couple corners (turn 2) I wasn't comfortable in after talking to Rob, followed Greg out a little to give him some general pointers, just general practice stuff.  I am definitely getting much more comfortable with the new bike and Pirelli  tires.  I still haven't gained anywhere near full confidence in the bike or tires yet, but I'm well on my way back to being a "racer" again.

Saturday   Race day, being a twin sprints weekend, I had signed up for three races today, Middleweight Superbike (MWSB), Middleweight Grand Prix (MWGP) & Heavyweight Superbike (HWSB).  The morning started off with a couple quick practice sessions, then I just hung around until after lunch waiting for my races.

Race 1, MWSB - I was definitely was feeling better about my starts this weekend, the down side was I didn't pre-register for the weekend meaning I was starting from the back of the pack.  ::)  All Weekend long... but I got a OK start, then I got hung out in T1...  I then managed to get by a couple of guys, but finished a lonely 17th...

Race 2, HWSB - Got a much better start this time, and didn't get hung out in T1 (must stay to the inside on the start) got into a quick scrap with the a couple guys, then managed to break free before we hit the front straight and started running down the rider in front of me.  Then just as I had caught the next rider on lap 4, and made a mistake and did a little dirt tracking on the exit of T6, nothing bad and it didn't cost me any positions, but I did lose a couple a seconds.  So I settled down a bit and crossed the line in 7th place - my 1st top ten of the season.

Race 3, MWGP - The start...DOH I bogged it down and everyone went flying past.... I went into T1 almost at the back of the pack.  Over the first lap I picked off a couple of riders, and another on the second lap, but by this time the rest of the field had cleared off, so I went into "practice" mode finishing 13th.

Then Saturday Night was the yearly Pit-bike Race on the go-Kart Track... Lot of carnage, water balloons, and general hooliganism (and no I didn't race, just a spectator) - it was a great way to finish off the day!

Sunday Sunday I had signed up to race only MWSB, as I want to get a early start home, but...
Saturday night, Rob had asked if I would be willing to lone my bike out to fellow teammate Scott Stall for a couple of races.  Scott had blown the motor on his Suzuki (should have bought a Honda  ::) )  but is in the points chase for both the overall & several class novice championship.  So I agreed, on the condition that Scott paid me back for my race & used his own tires and let Scott take it out.  Apparently he got along very well with it as he raved it was the best bike he's ever ridden - I guess I did a decent job on the set-up.  So we made a couple small changes to the suspension (added a turn a preload in front) to suit him better.  Well, this is somewhat humbling as in the 4 races he ran, he completly decimated the field... So now I have a race winning bike, just not with me  riding  :'(    yet....

Sorry guys, I don't have any pics of the weekend, but the track photographer has some up here:  http://momentumphoto.net/events/cra/09jul/822/index.html

After Thoughts:
1)  Starting to feel better, now I feel like I'm riding the bike and not the other way around, but I'm still riding a bit on the stiff side
2)  Don't forget to Pre-register...
3)  My bike more than capable, the rider is still however lacking a little.  But I'll get back there.

A big Thanks to my sponsors:
Rob and the crew at: Lithium Motorsports     http://www.lithiummotorsports.com
Ben and the crew at: Two Brothers Honda.     http://www.twobrothershonda.com
Lockhart Phillips, Team Privateer    http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com
And my Dad for helping out!

Until the next race
Thanks
Jason Bartlett, CRA #822
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:57:58 PM by Jason748 »
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

cobes

• FREAK Member
Re: 2009 Race Report #2: CRA, Round #3, Brained International Raceway
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »
That's great I need to get back out soon.  What do you have in the front forks and what springs are you using??  I switched to a .975 up front.  Yeah the 07+ Honda's make for a really good racebike. 

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:20:22 PM »
I'm running AK-20's with .950's in the forks.  I agree they definitely make a great all around racebike, they don't excel and any one thing, but do everything really well.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
Very cool man. Bike looks good!
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

bboynicku

• FREAK Member
  • Need $$$ for Track :P
    • Q-Rev International
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:48 PM »
awesome man!
RED/BLACK '03 RR *** I LOVE RIDING ^_^ ***
Scotts Oil Filter
ZeroGravity Double Bubble
Acumen DigiGear