Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 2009 Race Report #1: CRA, Round #1, Brained International Raceway  (Read 9441 times)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
2009 Race Report #1 from CRA, round #1, Brained International Raceway, Long course, May 1-3, 2009.

Well, it's been awhile, over 19 months to be more specific, but I'm back writing race reports again  :thumb:

This year I'm basically starting fresh: new bike, new gear, new tires, different race origination, etc...  I'm running a 2007 CBR600RR, a completely different bike than the two previous generations (2003 & 2005) that I raced.  I've also made the switch from Michelin to Pirelli race tires. Of course I've got all new gear as my 07 accident pretty much destroyed my previous gear.  This year I will be running with the CRA instead of the CCS Midwest series, mainly because they only run 5 rounds all at BIR but alternating between the traditional "long course" and new "competition course", v.s. 9 rounds for CCS midwest.  However I may still run a few CCS races at Blackhawk as well.  Lastly and most important, I'll be running with the Lithium motorsports team this year in full Lithium colors.

Now, on to the race weekend ramblings!

My race weekend started out on Thursday, April 30.  I loaded all my bike and gear into the trailer, hooked up the truck and headed out about 3:00.  But, I only managed to get about 30 miles out of town and all of a sudden the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and I start slowing down...  This is not good!  So I turn around and limp back home.  This is really not the way to start out a race weekend.  So I call around and a few hours later I manage to borrow a truck suitable to pull my trailer.  By this time it's 10:00pm and I really don't want to head out.  So I decide to hit the sack and leave early am...

Friday morning I managed to pull myself out of bed and hit the road around 2:30am so I can make it up to Brained by about 7:30 am...  As soon as I got there and checked in through the gate, I got setup, pulled my wheels and had Lithium motorsports mount up a set of Pirelli Supercorsa Pro DOT race tires for practice.  Got through tech with no problems and hit the track for my first practice session.  Now being this is the first time on this bike, and my first real experience with Pirelli's, not to mention the first time I've really been on track since my accident in 2007, my goal for the day was to get a feel for the bike & tires, learn the track, knock some of the rust off, get my gearing close and start trying to get a useful base line suspension setup.  So in other words, I had a lot to do.  Overall Friday practice went OK, The first few sessions I used to try and get comfortable with bike / tires as well as learn the track and start picking out some reference points to use.  But throughout the day I found myself riding very stiff, and had to continuously tell myself to loosen up and relax.  At points, for better lack of a description, I felt like the bike was riding me and not the other way around.  By the end of the day I was feeling better, but still nowhere close to where I felt I needed to be.  So I did a quick check-over on my bike to ensure everything was as it should be and turned in early.

Saturday was race day, but not for me as my three scheduled races weren't until Sunday, so I did the three rounds of morning practice and continued to feel better,  But still not being where I wanted to be.  The rest of the day was spent watching a few races, helping out the Lithium crew when they needed a hand, and generally walking the paddock meeting new people.  At the end of the day I pull my wheels off and had them swapped over to a set of Pirelli Diablo Superbike 17” slicks for tomorrow.

Sunday was my race day, I had two quick rounds of practice and three races scheduled today; Middleweight Superbike (MWSB), Heavyweight Superbike (HWSB) and Middleweight GradPrix (MWGP).

MWSB:  Lining up for my first race in over 19 months was a little nerve racking to say the least… Starting on row 2 from the 9th position I was hoping for a solid top 10 finish.  The green flag drops, I launch and end up spinning up the rear through the first three gears and don't really hook up until I hit 4th, as I sat there spinning about 7 or 8 riders flew past me.  Then to add insult to it, going into turn 1 I was boxed in with riders on both my right & left as well as directly in front – and the rider in front either left off the gas or got on the brake's.  Now turn 1 at BIR is unlike most tracks – Turn 1 & 2 at BIR are typically taken in 6th gear, wide open, to get a idea of just how fast, my speedometer was indicating jut over 170mph as I was turning into 1  :run: (looking at my gearing and rpms that would be a real speed of over 160mph).  So getting off the gas or on the brakes is a big no-no…  Well as I got on the brakes to avoid rear-ending the rider in front of me I lost a whole lot of momentum and lost a few more places.  This also caused me to tense up for the next 1 ½ laps.  Just as I started to settle down I turned into turn 1 starting the 4th lap and the 2 riders in front collided and went down.  Now remember the speeds we're running here – it wasn't a pretty site (but both riders will be alright) as I rode thought the scattered debris I knew full well this race would be red flagged and I would not be able to make up any positions.  Sure enough by the time I hit Turn 4 the red flags were out and the race would not be restarted.  I ended up finishing 20th, not what I was looking for…

HWSB:  Two races later I girded up for the HWSB race in the same position, 9th.  This time when the flag drop I got a little better start, but still spun the rear... again loosing a few positions.  Then on the 3rd lap my weekend ended.  Down the front straight I went to shift into 5th and nothing happened, tried again, and again… nothing.  Great… around BIR having 5th & 6th gear are very necessary to not becoming a rolling chicane.  So I pulled off.  At the time I was running just outside the top 10 and know I could have finished inside the top 10.

Doing a quick check to make sure my linkage wasn't jammed or loose (it wasn't), I regretfully started to pack-up as I wouldn't be able to make my third race.  But thinking back I did notice this bike was shifting harder than my previous bikes had but I though it was because I hadn't gotten the shifter height adjust right yet.  So shortly I'll be tearing into it and hopefully find something easy…

So the weekend start off badly (the truck) and ended badly (the bike), but I didn't crash and I had a lot of fun.

After Thoughts:
1)  Over 19 months off a bike is a really, really long time…
2)  I really missed racing.
3)  I really need some more seat time to get the bike & tires feeling good for me, but most importantly getting my head back in the game.

A big Thanks to my sponsors:
Rob and the crew at: Lithium Motorsports     http://www.lithiummotorsports.com
Ben and the crew at: Two Brothers Honda.     http://www.twobrothershonda.com
Lockhart Phillips, Team Privateer    http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com

Until the next race
Thanks
Jason Bartlett, CRA #822

Waiting on a couple more pics... will have them up soon.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
Re: 2009 Race Report #1: CRA, Round #1, Brained International Raceway
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »
Glad you were able to get back out there Jason. Sorry for the luck this weekend, but not crashing is a good thing  :thumb:
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:00:27 AM »
we'll call this a lil warming-up :thumb:  don't worry, next race you'll get right back in it ;D
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:19:05 AM »
 :thumb:  Most importantly you said you had a lot of fun, which I'm guessing is a big part of why anyone does this, so congrats on that!  Hope everything with the bike and the truck work out ok.  I personally look forward to what you think of the 2007+ platform as compared the the previous versions you''ve raced.  Good to hear you didn't crash!   ;D
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

cobes

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
Shitty about the tranny.  Glad you had fun.  Pirelli fronts are pretty good I found.  You can really weight the inside.  It will take some practice to get back in the groove after 19 months.

2old2fat2slow

• does your mother know you're a Ramone???
  • FREAK Member
    • DragonKnee Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »
Sweet write up Jason! Hope the tranny issue is very minor. Look forward to seeing the next chapter!
Let there be Mirth

leusent

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »
Bad news about the gearbox. Let us know what the issue is...
Winter: 1997 DOHC I-6 2.8L 5Spd BMW 328IS (2-Door)
Summer: 2007 DOHC I-4 600CC 6Spd Honda CBR600RR (2-Wheel)
Dead: 1984 DOHC V-4 500CC 6Spd Honda VF500F Interceptor (2-Wheel)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »
Good news... the bike was an pretty easy fix.   The shift star spring tab broke.  So I replaced it last week and did a quick run to get through the gears and it's now shifting great.

Bad news... Torn into my truck today, it has cracks in all eight combustion chambers (the heads)... it's going to cost me $$$, but still less than a new (used) truck.  The really down side is I have to cut out some race weekends now.  I'm hoping just one weekend, but it might be 2 weekends.  ::)
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

SilverRider24

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:43:30 PM »
Just ride the bike to the track. :P lol

Good news about the bike. :thumb: Sucks about the truck though. :(
What are you living for?

oxtar41

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
i got a 08 silverado you can buy for like 135,000 lmao
"The correct octane is the lowest level you can use without predetonation."

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »
That little gas powered thing you call a "truck"...  :P
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

oxtar41

• FREAK Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
anytime you wanna lock frames old man.
"The correct octane is the lowest level you can use without predetonation."

leusent

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Cracked heads? That sucks.... how the crap did that happen??
Winter: 1997 DOHC I-6 2.8L 5Spd BMW 328IS (2-Door)
Summer: 2007 DOHC I-4 600CC 6Spd Honda CBR600RR (2-Wheel)
Dead: 1984 DOHC V-4 500CC 6Spd Honda VF500F Interceptor (2-Wheel)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 07:06:08 PM »
It's pretty common on pre 1997 Chevy's with the 6.5 turbo diesel.  The stock head castings are a a little thin in some areas & the stock cooling system doesn't handle high towing loads well.  I installed the 97+ cooling system a few years ago, but it was probably a little late by that time as the damage was most likely done by the previous owner (towed a 4 horse trailer W/ 4 horses in it...) and just finally let go.
But everything else appears to be in good condition...
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE