Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: What gas to use?????  (Read 33388 times)

Cane

• Nothing would go right, if everything didn't go wrong.
What gas to use?????
« on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:43 PM »
I have a question, and it deals with gasoline types and what to use. I know that as of now I use 93 octane and only purchase gas from the same two stations wither it be a Speedway, or Shell. My question is as follows, I know that once you start using a synthetic oil, you shouldn't go back to conventional oil again. Now here is were the question is, being that 93 octane is the highest rated fuel you can purchase at a market, how much damage can we do if we use a octane booster or fuel injector cleaners that contain boost in it. I know some boosters only contain maybe 3points, so going from 93 octane to 96 octane street use, is damage occurring? I'm asking cause what I would like to know is what additives can we use that will safely clean the injectors and fuel system. Much like how cars have the engine treatments that you just add to the oil, are those safe to use to we have a version of that we can run for 600 miles and then drain for sludge? And build up? Regulations stop gas stations from adding additives each one is tha same as the next either it be 89, 90, 91, 93 all have the same....just asking...

Octane Levels
The most common levels of octane grade are 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade) and 91-93 (premium). The octane number of the gasolines offered for sale are set by gasoline refiners and marketers based on their perception of the technical and competitive needs in the market. Federal and most state regulations do not regulate minimum octane values, only that the postings on the dispensers accurately reflect the octane number of the gasolines being sold.

Gasoline with a higher heating value (energy content) provides better fuel economy. Traditionally, premium gasoline has had a slightly higher heating value than regular, and, thus, provides slightly better fuel economy, but it is difficult to detect in normal driving. There can be even larger differences in heating value between batches of gasoline from the same refinery, between summer and winter volatility classes, or between brands of gasoline from different refineries because of compositional differences. The differences are small and there is no practical way for the consumer to identify gasoline with a higher-than-average heating value.
Question From a forum
Today i came down from a wheelie and now i hear a tick tick in my motor . what do you think, bearing, cam chain?
Mine knocks,pings,rattles,grrrrsss, but it still runs fine.
Best answer
Its A Honda Bitch Will Probably Run With No Oil

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Re: What gas to use?????
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

vfrbh1

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »
All there is around here is 87 octane, so that is what I use.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:51:45 AM by vfrbh1 »
for real change support the fairtax act: fairtax.org

Cane

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
I ran 93 Octane for about 1300 miles and I guess Ill make the switch to 87 now.....and see how that runs, I was just afraid of pinging. It happen in my Eclipse and Talons....So I thought being a high rev motor that a higher grade would be best..ill bring it down thanx..
Question From a forum
Today i came down from a wheelie and now i hear a tick tick in my motor . what do you think, bearing, cam chain?
Best answer

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:36:19 PM »
run what your manual says.  I run 87
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Cane

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »
run what your manual says.  I run 87

ok, ill look it up and see what it says. For the ol 03...
Question From a forum
Best answer

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:50:31 AM »
i run 99, if i can't find it, 98 8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:38:46 AM by cosmo »
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 04:50:43 AM »
ups, doublepost, :(
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:38:30 AM by cosmo »

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:24:14 AM »
ok, ill look it up and see what it says. For the ol 03...

For the '03 it's 87...
"There but for the grace of God go I"

hairbag

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
#1. You CAN switch back and forth between Syn motor oil & conventional with no I'll effects...period.

#2 As for fuel higher octane simply is less volital. It will not light off as soon as lower octane fuels in higher compression engines. Use the octane recommended in your owners manual.
Hairbag

JayNH

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
My 08' manual says to use minimum 91 octane.

JayNH

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
:pop:

So I'm not writing a book.... start here.
http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php/topic,18413.0.html
http://kapitalmoto.co.uk/node/24

In this you wrote that a steady diet of 92+ octane will leave carbon deposits. What is the cause of this?  Would I be better off with 87 or 89?

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
In this you wrote that a steady diet of 92+ octane will leave carbon deposits. What is the cause of this?  Would I be better off with 87 or 89?

Hairbag hit on it a bit with #2.  The higher the Octane rating the less volital it is, or the slower it will ignite and burn.  What this really affects is the back side & exposed stems of the exhaust valves (and ports as well).  Basically because higher Octante fuel is burning at a slower pace, you end up with excess unburnt (and still burning in some cases) fuel and the impurities and leftovers going out the of the chamber.  As this unburnt fuel mixed with the impurities then hits the extremely hot surfaces of the valves and ports and starts to carbonize (leaving carbon deposits) on these surfaces.  That said all internalcombustion engines will have carbon deposits, but the more unburnt fuel, the more carbon deposits.

Overall you are best using the minimum Octane rating that: A) the owners manual recommends & B) does not cause pre-ignition.
For U.S. Spec bikes that means:
2003 - 2006  = 87
2007 & 2008 = 91

Other countries rate Octane differently so the minimum recommend rating will differ.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

JayNH

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 03:43:51 AM »
That makes sense, I never thought of it that way. Thank you.

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 04:19:44 AM »
damn, i dunno how comes i missed those threads about octane :-X. it really turns my world upside down :P

ok, now, a stupid question to you, but over here it is quite an issue. is there any way for the average joe to determine the true octane rating of a gas?

bear with me, the reason i ask this is because during comunism times over here, the state used to dillute various goods, and sell them as full-fledged products. for example, milk was half water, but it was considered you were sold 1 liter of milk.
similar things were done to gas stations (don't ask me how). the ideea is that i had a friend from UK come with his diesel car in romania. when he stopped to fill up in romania, the car wouldn't start again, even if the company was the same he had used (shell at the time, though there are no more shell stations now).

so when i fill it up with 99 octane, i actually have no ideea what octane i put in it, though most drivers here asume it's something like 95 abroad.