Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 08 Yamaha WR250X - Supermoto  (Read 51973 times)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
08 Yamaha WR250X - Supermoto
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:01:51 AM »
OK... The long awaited review
The Yamaha WR250X Supermoto

Of course, first off here's what Yamaha has to say about it, specs, features, gallery, etc...:  http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/596/0/home.aspx

Now for what I think:
I bought this bike for a couple reasons, first I was looking for something more fun to ride on a daily basis to and from work - I was getting sick of my big ass full sized truck.  Second was gas prices - with diesel ranging between $4.25 - $4.85 a gallon it was costing me around $200 a month to drive on a daily basis.  Third, Well I've always wanted a supermoto  8)
Now I knew exactly what was I getting and why I was getting it - This was for commuter purposes, and some fun through the local twisties - I live on the Mississippi river so we've got tons of nice tight, twisty bluffs right outside of town.  Now it'll probably see a track day or two at Blackhawk because it's a nice small tight technical track, but it's really not meant for long fast sweepers, highways, and such.  Again this is a commuter bike.  Also this is NOT a thoroughbred almost "race ready" Supermoto bikes like the KTM's, Husky's and Aprilla's available.  It's a supermoto - inspired dual sport, much along the same lines as the Suzuki DR400Z-SM and it's Kawasaki KLX400 twin.

I've had the bike for a few months now, put about 450 miles (I know, I know... but it's only a 2.5 mile ride to work..) between commuting & a few rides through the twisties.  So I don't have a ton of time on it, but enough to make a decent review of it from my initial reactions.

THIS BIKE IS THE MOST FUN IN-TOWN BIKE I'VE EVER RIDDEN OR OWNED - HANDS DOWN, NO EXCEPTIONS

What I Like:
- Its small, lightweight and flickable:  These are all traits that come in very, very handy during daily commuting with lots of cages around.  For example just yesterday I had a car pull out in front of me and without even thinking I just flicked it to one side and rode right around her, telling her she's #1 as I buzzed past  :fu:
- Riding position:  Typical dirt bike, completely upright, easy to move around on, easy to ride.
- Maintenance: This bike as the same basic maintenance schedule as a typical street bike (actually better than most - 26,000 valve adjust  :thumb:) and miles better than a typical dirt bike/motard - which really required a top end rebuild on a yearly basis if really ridden.
- Technology:  For what it is (a dirt based dual sport motard) this thing is packed with it...  mainly Fuel injection - I mean come on how many other 250cc single cylinder four-stokes have FI ????  Then on top of it the engine is a totally NEW engine design, that right it's not based off the current YZ/WR250-F engine.  It's actually based off the R1 engine, granted I doubt is shares any major components with the R1, but that's a pretty advance starting point for the design.  And from what I hear this engine is going to be the starting block for the upcoming YZ/WR250F engines in the very near future.
- Brakes:  Considering the front is a single disk (wave style - 298mm) with a two piston sliding caliper, and stock rubber line.  They're good, really good...for stock brakes.
- Looks:  I know this is purely subjective, but I think this thing looks DAMN GOOD!
- Fuel mileage:  I'm getting around 55mpg and I'm not being easy on it either.

What I'm so-so about, don't love but don't hate:
- Suspension:  I know it's built to a price point, but for a bike that is intended for 90% pavement riding, the suspension is still a bit on the soft side.  Granted it should work well if used on an actual supermoto track with jumps and dirt section, but for me it's just too soft of my riding style.  But they are decent components KYB front and back, but the forks are adjustable for compression & rebound only, not preload (unless you consider the air bleed preload, but I don't).  But the rear has compression, rebound, preload and is height adjustable too.
- Seat:  Still a little to dirt oriented - but it is a gripper seat.
- Plastic quality:  typical dirt-bike plastic, scratches easily, but is soft and flexible.
- Power:  With most dynos showing 26+/- HP at the rear wheel (I haven't dyno'ed mine yet) it's not a power house.  But it is a 250 single cylinder, so what do you really expect.  There's more than enough power for anything around town.
- Dash:  pretty easy to use (once you learn how), readable even in direct sunlight, but no tach... I want a damn tach.
- Stock tires:  Bridgestone BT-090 Not bad, but not sticky enough for my tastes, and guys with more miles have been reporting they don't have a great life either.
- Vibration:  At certain rpm's there is some vibration that comes through the pegs, it's not dirt bike bad, but noticeable.
- Transmission:  It's a 6-speed, close ratio tranny, but 1st is just a bit tall, and both 5th & 6th are overdrive... Frankly with the exception of highway miles 6th is useless.
- Octane:  It needs a minimum of 91... But the tank is only 2.5 gallons so $5.00 fill-ups are the norm.

What I don't like:
- Tire size:  The rear size to be specific it's a 140/70-17.. and there's just not much out there in a "sport" tire.  And to rub salt in the wound the chain is already very close and some have tried to throw a 150 on there (pilot power) and sure enough it rubs the chain.  Granted there is hope as the new 250Ninja uses the same size rear so maybe something will come out soon.
- FI hiccup: At low speed (15mph and under), low revs (I wish I could tell you but there's that no tach thing...).  There is a definite hesitation and the throttle doesn't pick up smoothly.
- Trunk space - It has none.  Thereís a small, but real tool kit but that's in it's own compartment mounted to the frame.
- Handle bar - The stock one is bad, real bad.
- It's not a 450...  ::) - rumor is 2010 it's coming...

Overall impression:
For what I bought this bike to do, I absolutely love it.  As I so boldly stated before "This bike is the most fun in-town bike I've ever ridden or owned"  Shortly after I got it I rode the same roads - in town, tight twisties, fast sweeping twisties, and a short highway stint - back to back with my 748.  and with the exception of the fast sweeping twistes the WR250X pretty much beats out or equals (only the highway - neither are great there) the 748, around town and the tight twisties the 250X as SO much better it's not even funny...
If I was forced to own just one bike for everyday use:  This would be THE bike.  The biggest draw back is that it's a little too easy to get "hooliganish" on the bike.  I find myself inadvertently doing small stopples and raking through the gears without even thinking about it.
If you do mostly in-town riding (you can do short highway stints - less than 1 hour - but they're not much fun) this is a great bike and I highly recommend it  :thumb:
For those looking for something with more off-road capabilities they also have a "R" version that comes with the 21"F/18" rear wheels with DOT knobbies, a softer more dirt oriented suspension and a smaller front brake (250mm vs. 290mm on the "x"), and a silver frame/swingarm.

Where to get it and How much:
Your local Yamaha dealer,  A few used ones are starting to pop up, but they're few and far between.
Also most dealers that ordered them (not all - stupid dealers  ::) ) sold them out quickly or are asking way over retail...
Retail Price is $5999 (or $5899 for the "R" version). - No I didn't pay anywhere near retail for mine but I got mine for a smoking deal because of my sponsorship with Two Brother Powersports, which BTW does have one left on the floor they just uncrated - it won't last long (the first three they got never even hit the floor they all went straight out the door).

Thanks to:
Eric & Ben at TwoBrothers Powersports.  http://www.twobrothershonda.com/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:55:38 PM by Jason748 »
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Re: 08 Yamaha WR250X - Supermoto
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »
And now for the fun stuff, Here's some of the changes I've made and what I've done to personalize it:

Suspension:
As stated above, I'm not really satisfied with the stock suspension.  So far after some playing here's were I'm at:
Forks: Rebound = max Hard, Compression 1/2 turn out from full Hard
Shock: Rebound = 1 turn out from max hard, Compression 2 1/2 turns out from full Hard.  Set the shock to it's shortest eye-to eye distance.
 - These really seemed to make me more comfortable, and the bike a bit more stable while leaned over.  I still get some real minor head shake but nothing bad, which really surprises me because of the dirt based chassis geometry.  Even at a indicated 93mph (YES - it a 250 that'll do 90...).  But It's still not where I want it to be.  So over the winter I'll probably pull the forks and send them over to Rob and depending on what we find we might send them down to Max at Traxxion to a have a set of AK-20 made for it.

Rear Fender/turn signal/plate mount:
With most bikes these days it's the same story - big and ugly... Theres a ton aftermarket universal tail lights out there and you can always do a custom one pretty easy, but My goal was to have something that was "stock" looking and would not attract and attention for local law enforcement.
So I went with the only currently available WR250X kit available as a starting point.  The DRC EDGE kit from Wheeling cycle supply: http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml
I did paint it black to match the subframe, frame and swingarm, which looks much better IMHO.
Then I added some Lockhart Phillips turn signals that were the same shape and look as the stock ones but about 1/2 the size.
 I really think for off the shelf parts it ended up very stock looking, but much cleaner than stock.

Handle Bars:
The stock bars pretty much suck in my opinion... They are not the most comfortable and look like they'll bend if I look at them wrong.
So I replaced mine with a set of Pro-Taper Henry - Read bend bars and some riser - adapters.
In addition I added some Acberis hand guards, but they're more for that bad-ass look than anything else... I'm thinking about changing them to some Zeta Guards with the turns signals integrated in them already...
Overall the bar change had a huge impact on comfort - I'd Highly recommend this as the first modification to one of these bikes.

Stock Bars

Pro Tapers

Overall I'm happy with the modifications I've made so far...
Here's a couple pics of how it sit now:

Chicken strips...we don't need no stinking chicken strips...  It still surprises me how easy this thing is to throw around.  :run:

Coming soon  8)
MORE POWER... Rob is getting me a Leo X3 slip-on & PCIII, and I'll be performing the typical Yamaha required air-box mods (remove the flapper, Swiss cheese the airbox).  And getting a custom map done to suit.
MORE LOOKS... I have some front turn signals (same as the rear but with the running lights) but I have to fab up some brackets.  I'm also thinking about some CF goodies done tastefully, maybe the fork guards, rear brake guards and a few other small parts...

Let me know what you guys think... good bad....ugly....  :pop:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:02:06 AM by Jason748 »
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:09:03 AM »
Yay! I've been lurking on Tumpertalk and Supermotojunkie since you posted the first pics of this thing. Just looks like an absolute blast to ride!
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

Weavefish

• FREAK Member
  • Team RaGnArOk
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:59:04 AM »
a guy in my bike club had his dyno'd it almost has 29hp
I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Woody Allen

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
I think this is the best review we've had on this site yet (besides Jeff's)...great job!!!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

PHIL53

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
looks awesome!  ;D  Tail section cleaned up nicely. IMO, OEM Yamaha bars have some of the most uncomfortable bends in the world. Make my wrists hurt after long stints.

I think this is the best review we've had on this site yet (besides Jeff's)...great job!!!

The review was worth the wait.
Miami, Sunny Place, Shady People!

SilverRider24

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
I want one sooo bad. I am forcing myself to wait until I pay off either my truck or my bike, at least one of them. By that time I could get the 450 in 2010. 8)

Thanks Jason, Great review in all aspects. It looks very well put together. You have made me so jealous!! :thumb:
What are you living for?

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
 :thumb:  Damn dude, that thing looks like the epitome of fun on 2 wheels!  I'd really like to have one for the commute to work too; It seems so much more care-free than riding the CBR in town, plus, like you said, gas mileage! 

Excellent review too!  You could be a Yamaha salesman!   :P
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

locdogg

• Yes its fast, no you can't ride it!
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride red fucker!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
You leave me no choice but to sit here in the hater crowd and be jealous as hell.... F'n JERK!
 :-X

;D  :thumb:
And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »
Almost forgot... this showed up on my door this week  8)

CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 08:17:47 PM »
It's coming in black for 2009  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/596/0/home.aspx
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
Someday................................ :drool:

"There but for the grace of God go I"

SilverRider24

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
I will wait until they come out with the 450. I am forcing myself financially.
What are you living for?

alpinestaRR

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 01:16:45 AM »
i go to the dealership atleast once a week to sit on that bike...yes, i'm that guy...  8)

SilverRider24

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
^Nothin' wrong with that. I do my best to lead the salesman on everytime I see one that I haven't seen or met before. They are full of B/S! :P
What are you living for?