Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: WelldrilleRR's 9/15-16 Blackhawk race report  (Read 6615 times)

welldrilleRR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
WelldrilleRR's 9/15-16 Blackhawk race report
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:12:22 PM »
9/15/07  Race Report

Arrived at the track about 7:30 Saturday morning.  Temp. was about 38į.  Pitted next to the Chedder Mafia Race Team.  Missed first practice but was not too concerned.  I did want to get at least 1 practice in because I just had a Dyno Jet Quick Shifter installed and I wanted to make a few laps to get comfortable with it.  2nd practice I was able to get out and get some laps.  The shifter was working nice, although the bike seemed to run higher than normal RPMís when I was off the throttle, like 5,000 rpms.  Back to the pits to look over the bike.  The only thing I could find was the shifter linkage was binding.  Added a washer to free it up and hope that was the problem. 

First race was MWGP.  I was third in points with no chance of gaining any positions.  The only race I have a chance to win the championship is MWSB which would be my last race on Sunday.  Pretty much my whole weekend was focused on that race, but I had 6 other races to do first.

I was on the front row for MWGP so I wanted to get a good start and see what happens.  Coming out of Turn 1, I was second behind Jim Rodefer. #891.  Followed him the first lap and passed him going into Turn 1 of the second lap.  I put my head down and tried to put clean consistent laps in.  Ended up finishing 1st.  I didnít have the fastest lap times but getting out front sure does help. 

2nd race was GTU.  Gridded on the 2nd row, did not get a good start and was about 7th coming out of Turn 1.  Made some passes but as the race progressed, I started to fade and got passed by a few riders.  Ended up 5th.  Drove home to get a good nights sleep.

Sunday got to the track about 10:30 in the morning.  Did not do any practices.  I felt comfortable with the bike.  No issues with the shifter.  I did bump the rear spring rate1 notch to position 5.

I had 5 races today.  The last 2 were the ones I wanted to do well in so I ran the tires from Saturdays races for the first 3 races, then I would switch to a new set of the Michelins. PRC front and a PR5 rear for the last 2 races.  I just wanted to get comfortable with the race pace and try to increase my speed throughout the day.  My goal for the year was to run 13ís at Blackhawk and I hadnít done that yet.

1st race was HWSS, finished 5th with a best lap of :14.8.
2nd race was MWSS, finished 5th with a best lap of :14.6.

I was a little concerned after MWSS because the same riders in MWSS would be in MWSB later in the day and Joe Denowh. #138, the man I had to beat finished ahead of me.

3rd race was HWSB, finished 4th.  I didnít get any lap times from this race, but felt faster.

Pulled into the pits and swapped rims and tires and got the warmers on as soon as possible.

4th race was ULGP, the money race.  A total of 26 bikes, 600ís Ė 1000ís were gridded up.  I had a 2nd row grid, so I would really need a good start.

I got a good jump and drive to turn 1.  Coming out of Turn 1 I was third behind Dustin Boyd #950 and Jason Runte #710 both fast riders capable of running :11ís & :12ís.

I tried to stay focused and with the new rubber I felt confident going into corners a little faster.  By lap 4, I still had Jason  in site and felt comfortable at the pace we were at.  Lap 7 A.J. Krause #547 got by me in Turn 6.  I ended up 4th in a full gridded ULGP.  I was happy with that and later I would find out I ran a best lap of 1:13.4.

A. J. gaining on me

5th race of the day.  The big one going into this race I was 10 points back of first.  Being a double points weekend I needed to be ahead of Joe Denowh #138 and in 1st or 2nd  to win the championship.  I was gridded on the inside of the first row, a great place to start.  Joe was also on the front row but on the outside.  I got a good start and coming out of Turn 1, Iím in second behind Tim Barrett #675.  I know he is passable and I wanted to get in front of him as soon as possible.  Coming into Turn 3 I try the inside but wasnít going to work.  The bus stop was my next chance but could not make it work.  Next chance was coming into Turn 6.  I tried to get a good drive coming out of 5 and got on the brakes a little later and was able to make the pass.  I was hoping the rest of the group would get held back by #675.

I put my head down and tried to go as fast as I have ever gone before.  I was making little mistakes here and there and could not get comfortable.  The next 2 laps I tried to relax and make some clean turns.  By lap 4 I was still up front but I was not letting off as I was comfortable by this time.  Lap 6 I see a back marker ahead but didnít think much of it.  Coming into Turn 7 I brake and downshift as before.  I turn the bike in and I tuck the front.  It seemed like a long time as the bike slid, I was still hanging on thinking I could  save it but no such luck.  I just crashed out of the race and championship.  To add insult to injury, I was a good 5-6 seconds ahead of 2nd place Joe.

In the end, Iím happy with the times I was able to run by the end of the day.  I ran a best of 1:13.6 in the last race with no one in front of me.

Thanks to my sponsors this year:
Samís Well Drilling, Fuel Moto, Rush Powersports, Lithium Motorsports,  Beaver Dam Honda, Michelin, Leo Vince, Sharkskins, Vortex, LP

07' rr (race) #71 CCS Thank you sponsors: Sam's well drilling, Lithium Motorsports, Michelin, Rush Motorsports

03' rr (street)

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
Re: WelldrilleRR's 9/15-16 Blackhawk race report
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about the championship. Best of luck next year!
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »
:thumb:

You make me want to get back on the track. :(
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:24 PM »
Damn...the last race too.  Overall you had a great year.  Congrats

You going to head down to the ROC?
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

welldrilleRR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:13:04 PM »
Thanks Jason, glad to hear you made it back ok.
I do plan on going down to ROC. Signed up this past week. :thumb: 
07' rr (race) #71 CCS Thank you sponsors: Sam's well drilling, Lithium Motorsports, Michelin, Rush Motorsports

03' rr (street)

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:18:28 AM »
Good times and bad times...but a great job overall!
"There but for the grace of God go I"