Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: The End. (For the year anyways!)  (Read 7301 times)

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
The End. (For the year anyways!)
« on: September 20, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »
So.. the final race of the year has now come and gone.  Sept 15th & 16th at Blackhawk Farms. 

I headed down early Friday morning to make the practice day that the track puts on.  For the price you can't beat it, 95 bucks and they rotate between 2 groups all day.  I got down there shortly after 8am and set up.  It was a chilly morning to say the least!  I headed out on the track for about 10 laps and came in when I started shivering.  It eventually warmed up and things started feeling pretty good.  Heading into the afternoon, I was really surprised how well the tires were sticking despite what I had put them through.  They had a full weekend of racing, a couple practice sessions from another race weekend, two full track days, and now more than half of this practice day on them.  I could feel the rear sliding a little bit, but I attributed that to the track being cooler than usual.  My second session in the afternoon, I went out and the rear really started sliding on the first lap.  I came in, looked at the bike to make sure there wasn't something on the rear tire, but I didn't find anything so I headed right back out.  I got on the gas hard coming out of turn 1 and leaned the bike over for turn 2, and thats when my rear tire told me it was done.  I've never had the rear of the bike come out that far and not have to do major fiberglass repair before, it felt huuuuuuge!  In reality it was probably less than 2 feet, but when it snapped back it was enough to throw my ass in the air and my feet higher than the seat!  The bike stayed on the track though, I put a hand up, continued around the carousel, and the bike felt fine.  As soon as I hit the next left hander, it started sliding out again.  I pulled off, half expecting to find oil or water or something on the tire, but nothing!  The right side felt fine, the left side felt like the bike was going to crash!  I brought it in and pulled the tires right then and there.. I should've taken a picture, I didn't have any tread left on the left hand side at all, it might as well have been a half slick half DOT tire ;)  So that was my lesson in tire life. 

Friday night.  I nearly froze to death in the trailer.  Well, not really, but it did get rather chilly.  Freeze warnings all around, and a single 1500 watt space heater isn't all that efficient in a 24' aluminum trailer.

Saturday.  One race for me today, GTO.  I was on the front row, I was so sure I could get the holeshot I could taste it.  Green flag drops, I jump out ahead!  And then the front wheel starts coming up... I back off a little to get it to start coming down like usual.. it does.. i pin it again, and the front jumps again!  I repeated this 3 times and got passed by half the field before turn 1.  My brother was watching from turn 1, he said it looked cool at least.. lol..  I kept up with a couple guys in front of me for half the race, but that was it.. I was just dead tired, making stupid mistakes..  I finished the race upright.. lol.   And with that, got 3rd place overall in GTO.  Schweet.

Sunday - Three races today.  My first race was Unlimited Supersport.  Another bad start for me, I was 4th going into turn 1.  Stayed there for 3/4 of the race, until my arch nemesis on the R1 passed me on the straight.  I'm sure he's a nice guy, but nothing pisses me off more than someone who only beats you because their bike is better.  I stayed behind him for a lap, he pulled ahead on the straights even more.  Now its on, I'm pissed.  I probably ran my best lap of the weekend catching back up to him, only to have him in the back section only to have him pull away again on the straights.  I come around and the white flag is out, he had probably 10 bike lengths on me at least.  I pin it coming out of 1 and stay on it all the way through turn 2 and come right up on him in the carousel....  I'm right on his back tire at the exit and I ran up on the inside of him coming into the bus stop and got around him!  I'm screaming in my helmet at this point like a madman, I knew I had to put some distance on him before I got to that back straight or he'd pass me on power alone.  I went through turn 5 faster than I ever have before, normally its in the upper rpm's but not at the limiter on the short straight between 5 and 6.. this time as soon as the bike was upright I was hearing that wonderful "BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH" of the rev limiter for the whole straight..  I got down the back straight.. still wasn't passed, and I was gonna make him work for a pass if he was gonna make one.  Into the braking zone, middle of the track.  Total dirty bastard line, but it worked.  Down the front straight, tucked as far down as I could go, and I took the checkered flag in 4th.  I'm told I had about 5 bike lengths on him at the start/finish line but he was pulling on me big time.. but who cares, I got there first ;)  End of the year result in this class - 3rd overall. 

Next race - Middleweight Supersport.  Started on the outside of turn 2, got an average start at best, and going into turn 1 I got spooked.  I saw someone go flying up the inside of everyone so fast I backed off assuming he was going to go plowing into everyone else.  Somehow the guy made it without punting anyone off the track, but now I was in 3rd gear instead of 2nd coming out of the corner.  All I could do was watch as half the field passed me :P  But whatever.. I ran some laps, ended up 13th.. not sure where I finished overall in this one,  but it probably isn't very good.  lol..

Last race of the year.  Heavyweight Superbike.  I was on the front row for this one too, all psyched up to get a good start..  Green flag drops.  So does my left hand.  The front of the bike is instantly almost vertical, and my reaction was to instantly roll off the throttle.  The front slammed down to the ground, causing instant NTT pain.  NTT would be Nuts-To-Tank for those not familiar.  I guess I almost caught a ducati up my ass on this start.  I ended up finishing 7th in this one I think..  And for the year overall, another 3rd place. 

It seems that it was a year of 3's.  My third year racing, and I got third place overall in three classes.

So.. many thanks again to Mike (Sindarin) for coming out and helping out on Saturday, as well as for bringing out that awesome cheesecake..  Also thanks to Jeff for the help throughout the year, Jen for the occasional awesome breakfasts, all my friends and family for putting up with me and coming out to watch and help, Paul and the crew at Badger Cycle for getting me the bike and parts I needed to keep running all season long and of course last but not least my girlfriend and ever present pit crew member Amanda :)
--Greg

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
Re: The End. (For the year anyways!)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
Awesome dude, :thumb:
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

2old2fat2slow

• does your mother know you're a Ramone???
  • FREAK Member
    • DragonKnee Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »
Congrats on your 3 3rd's. Pretty damned impressive for your 3rd year Bro!
Let there be Mirth

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
Nice. Congrats!
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

welldrilleRR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
Nice work Greg. You and the 07' seem to be getting along pretty good. Congrats on a great season.
07' rr (race) #71 CCS Thank you sponsors: Sam's well drilling, Lithium Motorsports, Michelin, Rush Motorsports

03' rr (street)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:52:40 PM »
Way to go Greg!
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »
The front of the bike is instantly almost vertical, and my reaction was to instantly roll off the throttle.  The front slammed down to the ground, causing instant NTT pain.

LOL...it doesn't sound like you "rolled off the throttle"...it sounds more like you chopped it...easy for me to say, but are you able to cover the rear break?

Great job either way!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:15:07 AM »
LOL...it doesn't sound like you "rolled off the throttle"...it sounds more like you chopped it...easy for me to say, but are you able to cover the rear break?

Great job either way!

Roll.. chop.. let go.. I did one of those three  :P

Rear brake isn't really an option for me, my feet aren't anywhere near the pegs until I'm almost ready to do the shift into second.. 
--Greg