Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Race Report #4 from CCS Mid-west round #8, Black Farms Raceway August 17-19,2007  (Read 8579 times)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Race Report #4 from CCS Mid-west round #8, Black Farms Raceway August 17-19, 2007.

I was debating on even writing one for this, but I am hopeful that someone will learn from my mistakes and NOT do the same thing I did…

Friday August 17th, Racer Practice:
Packed up the trailer and headed down Thursday afternoon, really looking forward to this weekend.  Got to the track round 8:00, pulled the bike out, converted the trailer to my weekend hotel, fixed some dinner and to my bicycle out for a couple quick laps for turning in for the night.  Woke up Friday morning to a perfect day to be at the track.  Sunny, Warm and a light breeze!  Wohoo, this was going to be a great day.  I was running good times (for me at least) and feeling comfortable pushing a bit, but not a “race” push, more like a track-day push.

Saturday August 18th, Race Day 1
I got a good night sleep, But work up to a medium breeze and clouds, not a good sign, but I had been watching the weather before I left so I knew is was going to rain Saturday & Sunday.  Got through tech and headed out for the first practice session.  I was feeling good, but the track was definitely a bit cold so I took it easy the first session, and waited until the second to run some good laps.  After the riders meeting at 11:00, the sky finally started to fall, lightly at first, then progressively harder and harder… While I don’t like to ride in the rain, it doesn’t bother me all that much.  So off came the DOT’s and on went the rains.  Took a couple slow trips down the access road to bed the SBS dual carbon pads to the clean unmolested rotors… on these wheels as I though it would be nice to have at least some brakes in the wet!

Middle Weight Grand Prix Race:
Second race of the day was going to be my first of the day (or so I though…).  There seamed to be only about ¾ of the grid showing up, apparently some either didn’t have rain tires, or didn’t want to race in the rain… I was really beginning to like my chances here!  So heading out on the sighting lap, I noticed I was getting a wobble in the front end, but someone went down in turn one (yes on the sighting lap) and they red flagged it, so that gave me time to pull into pit lane and check over the front end again, I though I had triple checked everything already, but hey anything could happen.  Everything was fine, nothing loose, etc… hum… This is not good.  Went out for the second sighting lap and upped the pace a bit only to find the wobble got far worse the faster I went, and I wasn’t even near race pace yet.  So I elected to pull back into the pits to check everything out, causing me to DNS this race… I was OK with that.

After getting back to my pit and putting it up on the front stand, at first glance nothing was out of place or funky, then I grabbed a screwdriver and held it against one fork leg and spun the front… Yikes! The rim was almost a ¼” out of round, and it was not in one specific place that it jumped out, it was a very gradual bend.  I had purchased these wheels last year from another racer, but had not run them yet, (yes I have three sets of rims) I had checked the rotors, but never the wheel itself.  This was a really dumb move on my part as I KNOW better!

Well at that point I talked to a few people, and decided to swap the front rain over to my other spare set of wheels.  This is when I found my second “oops” of the weekend, I had forgotten to bring my 3rd front rim…DOH! Oh well, I’ll just have them swap my DOT front for the rain front.  But just as I was pulling the front back off… It stopped raining.  So I started thinking If it holds off, there are 5 more races before my next race, and a dry line will form allowing my to run DOT’s…and not burn up the rains.  Well it did hold off for a while and I started seeing guys going out on intermediates and then a few on DOT’s.  So I waited a little longer, a light mist, but still no more rain, so I started bolting my DOT’s back on and wouldn’t you know it, as soon as I finished the rear it opened up again, and the rain got progressively harder.  At this point they had just started the race prior to mine, and I didn’t have the time to get the front tires swapped… So much for the GTU race…

This effectively ended my weekend, as I wasn’t going to be able to race on Sunday due to a family event I “had” to attend… So I packed up and headed home.

After Thoughts:
1)   When you buy used rims (heck, even new ones) CHECK THEM, because you never know.
2)   If you have 3 “sets’ of rims, bring 3 “set” with you, not 2 ½ “sets”.

And for those of you who like to see pics... I forgot to bring my camera so I don't have any this time around but there are some posted here...
http://www.gron4.com/2007/event081907/82x/

A Special Thanks to:
My Dad for being a great traveling companion and pit support – and putting up with me when I felt like beating my head into the side of the trailer.

Thanks to my sponsors:
Ben and the crew at: Two Brothers Honda.     http://www.twobrothershonda.com/
Rob and the crew at: Lithium Motorsports     http://www.lithiummotorsports.com
Rick Ruelle at: Lockhart Phillips, Team Privateer     http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/

Last race weekend of the season (for me)… once again to BlackHawk Farms on September 14-15-16.   I hope…
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:20:06 PM by Jason748 »
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

DakotaCBR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • FREAK Member
Thanks for the report Jason. Sorry things didn't go so well for you!
CCS FL #308

Lithium Motorsports      ScorpionEXO      Vortex      Trackdaymag.com      Woodcraft

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
Must have been an aggravating weekend!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Actaully it was a really good weekend right up untill I found the bent rim, then it went south fast  ::)

In morning pratice I was top five in lap times, but in the rain you never know... funny things happen.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
how many races/weekends a year you race?
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
Informative, entertaining, educational, and detailed, as always.  Thanks for the write-up and sorry to hear things got nasty.  Rain is the bane of my existence.  Glad you made it out of this one with no pea-gravel encounters!   :thumb:
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
mmmmmm, peas
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

PHIL53

• FREAK Member
You live to race another day!  here is to a better weekend in september...  ;D
Miami, Sunny Place, Shady People!

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
how many races/weekends a year you race?

This year I'll have run:
5 race weekends
4 Friday Practices
3 Track days
1 Race school
And a partridge in a pear tree...  :-X

Sounds like a lot, but really it isn't compared to some of the other guys here, I think G-reg is running all 9 Midwest rounds, welldrilleRR is running 7-8 Midwest rounds, and Rob (LMsports) is running somewhere around 30-40 between CCS-midwest, CCS-Great Plains, CRA, AMA, and ????

Things don't aways go as planned or hoped, But thats racing.  I'm out there having a blast as often as my work and family schedule allow.

Oh Yea...peas blow  ::)  especially the gravel kind!    :P

CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

jeyrod

• Flying Squirrel Racing
  • Flying Squirrel Racing
    • Flying Squirrel Racing
Only a few weeks until you can try it again.

I'll probably come over and ask for some help since its going to be my first visit to BHF.
Flying Squirrel Racing
Lockhart Phillips USA
Vortex Racing
Amsoil
"I'm so far behind...I think I'm in first."

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Cool  :thumb:.  You comming up for Fridays pratice or just Saturday/Sunday for the races.

I'm ususally pitted next to the silo on pit lane, just look for a big red trailer and a green truck.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE

welldrilleRR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
Thanks for the report Jason. It was a intresting weekend. 
Sept. is your time to shine.
07' rr (race) #71 CCS Thank you sponsors: Sam's well drilling, Lithium Motorsports, Michelin, Rush Motorsports

03' rr (street)