Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Blackhawk, July 28-29  (Read 6007 times)

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
Blackhawk, July 28-29
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:26:43 PM »

So I've heard you have to go slow to go fast.. If thats the case, for the rate I was going this weekend I should be faster than Rossi at some point   :-X

The weekend started off in a rather normal fashion.. Arrived friday night and got all set up..  Got ready for practice and heard from a number of people that they repaved one corner and that it was very slick so be careful.  No big deal, I went out, and yep.. she was a little slick at first.  By the second practice the line through it was getting noticably better but still slightly slippery if you didn't run that perfect line.  Got the checkered flag in practice, I continued to go around and came up to the repave.. I heard another bike coming up the inside.. fine, whatever, its the last lap in practice, I move outside..  Then I heard that wonderful tire screaming noise.  NOT GOOD!  The next thing I know I've got a bike hitting the right side of my bike.. I kept going straight off into the grass, luckily I wasn't hit hard enough to crash or that could've been a nasty one.  T'was only a flesh wound though, a little bending of the right rearset and rear brake lever and I was back in business for GTO.

I was on the front row for GTO..  Brian Hall was on the outside, then Deni DeBuhr, myself, and some guy on an R1 who I should probably know the name of by now.  Green flag drops and I get an absolutely perfect start.  Hall and Deni drop out of view, its me and R1 guy dead even going for turn 1.  I forced myself to stay on the gas longer and it worked.. First to turn 1, me!  Sweet.  Coming out of the turn Hall passed me on the outside and just pulled away.. he's on a different level.  End of lap 1, I'm still in second.  Lap 2.. same.  Awesome!  Lap 3.. I'm starting to get tired..  Not good.  One or two guys pass me.  Lap 4.. more.. halfway through the race my forearms were just screaming at me, I backed off even more.  I have no idea where I finished, all I knew was I was first to turn 1.. lol..  I could barely hold on to anything though my arms were so drained..  Time to figure out what you're doing wrong, Greg...

Sunday.  I went out for practice and really tried to pay attention to what I was doing.  I've known for awhile that I hang on too tight to the bars, and I could never break the habit.  By the end of the second practice after talking with Jeff I knew why..  I'm in the habit of holding my entire body with my arms during braking.  I'm so focused on getting set up for the turns that I'm actually doing too much too soon!  The second I start braking I'm shifted off to the side and my knee is stuck out.  I've always heard hold on to the tank with your knees but could never figure it out until Sunday for some reason.  Its OK to shift your weight to the side, but you need to keep your knee in on the tank until you're leaning into the corner.

So.. Sunday races.  Did downright pitiful, BUT I did manage to learn a few things.  By making a conscious effort to keep my knee in the side of the tank, I can brake so much harder than when I was trying to hold myself up against the clipons while at the same time pulling the brake lever in.  So all my previous braking points were now way too early, I probably could've came to a dead stop 100 feet before the apex of every corner if I wanted to.. so I ended up carrying no corner speed at all it seemed.  I did find myself trying to ride the old way a couple times, and being still slightly dead from the previous day it didn't take long for that to wear me out on sunday..  So although my finishes weren't good, I did feel like I actually learned something new (which I haven't been able to say for quite awhile!)  Now all I need is more track time to get it down..

Next event is the Keith Code school on Monday, August 13th at Blackhawk.. this should be good..  Although it figures, I feel like I'm finally learning how to ride the bike just as the race season is almost over!
--Greg

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
Re: Blackhawk, July 28-29
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
Great job and great write up Greg...it's posts like this that help us learn too!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »
Out there having fun then that is all you need. Good read.

Also on a serious and very truthful note, getting to T1 first is very Rossi like, but doesn't he ride for the other team.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:33 PM »
Damn, you beat me to it this week...

Any time you can beat Brian anywhere... thats an accomplishment!  :thumb:

Sounds like you had at least a productive weekend.  See you at the next BHF.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Sindarin

• Expert Spectator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
Great report Greg!  ;D

Pics: http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x11/Sindarin1000rr/Blackhawk%20Farms%207-28-07/

Doesn't Rob owe you a can of gas for "letting" him pass?  :D :P
'09 KTM 690 SMC

LMsports

• FREAK Member
  • Largest trackside distributor in the Midwest!
    • Lithium Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »
Easy now...

We had all that worked out ahead of time! Nice pic.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
712-276-1964
Rob@Lithiummotorsports.com