Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Race Report #3 from CCS Mid-west round #7, Black Farms Raceway July 27-28, 2007  (Read 4407 times)

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Race Report #3 from CCS Mid-west round #7, Black Farms Raceway July 27-28, 2007.

Unfortunately, this one will be short and uneventful, sorry guys wish I had something better for ya…

Friday July 27th, Racer Practice:
Arriving at the track Thursday night and getting virtually no sleep, it thunder stormed ALL night, I awoke to what looked to be a miserable day, a steady light rain and standing water everywhere.  I sat out the morning because I had no interest in throwing on the rain tires and burning them up in a half day of practice – do you have any idea how expensive rain tires are, since 1) the rest of the weekend was looking to be dry and 2) I’d already done a wet track day earlier in the year and toasted one set of rains just to get some wet practice in.  Just after lunch the rain quit and the track started to dry out so I went out and tip-toed around for the first couple of sessions after lunch (the track was still wet, but no standing water).  By the third session it was nice and dry, but they had just filled a couple of holes created by the cars in the tight right hand bus-stop and had the track blocked off except for the outside 5’ so you just couldn’t get a decent run through that corner.  To top it off my mind was kind of in a fog and I was having trouble concentrating on riding… not good.  But I figured it was mainly due to a lack of sleep, man… I really wish it had been.

Saturday July 28th, Race Day 1
I got a decent night sleep – first time in about a week.  Got up and ran through tech and headed out for the first practice session.  I was feeling good, but then about half way through the session my head started to fill up with other crap and I couldn’t clear it out.  So I pulled in and had a good long talk with myself and waited for my second session.
Well the second session went even worse and from the start I just couldn’t concentrate and wasn’t having fun.

On a side note I race because I really do love it, I have fun and it’s my release from my daily grind at work.  I look forward to every track day and especially race weekends to be able to clear my head out and see my segregate family (the race community).  But for some reason (well there is really a reason, but that’s a different subject) I was indifferent to even racing this weekend. On a good note, I feel fine now and am really, really looking forward to the next round.

Middle Weight Grand Prix Race:
First race of the day, and I was gridded towards the back again (Yes, I didn’t pre-register again  ::)), But I appear to have my starts figured out now and passed most everyone in the two rows ahead of me before I got to turn 1  8).  At first I was doing fine, but by the start of the second lap I just couldn’t concentrate and was not having fun, my head just kept filling with other things.  So I just kind of rode around and didn’t really fight anyone hard for position.  I ended up 15th , not too bad considering I was running about 4 seconds off my race pace…

After the race, I decided that if I wasn’t having fun and couldn’t keep my mind on what I was doing I was better off packing up and heading home rather than going out and endangering my fellow competitors because I couldn't get my head straight.  So I canceled the races I had signed up for on Sunday, packed up and heads home to see my family.

After Thoughts:
1)   In hindsight I really should have stayed and volunteered to corner work instead of going home.  If you ever get the chance, working a corner really gives a totally different perspective on racing.
2)   Make sure your head in “in-the-game” when your on the track, because this is a dangerous sport and a small stupid mistake can needlessly lead to a serious injury to yourself  of even worse a fellow competitor.

And for those of you who like pics... I really don't have any this time around but there are some posted here...
http://www.gron4.com/2007/event072907/82copp/

A Special Thanks to:
My Dad for being a great traveling companion and pit support – Thanks for supporting my decision to head home.

And a huge apology to my sponsors, I will redeem myself:
Ben and the crew at: Two Brothers Honda.     http://www.twobrothershonda.com/
Rob and the crew at: Lithium Motorsports     http://www.lithiummotorsports.com
Rick Ruelle at: Lockhart Phillips, Team Privateer     http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/

And back again…to BlackHawk farms on August 17-18-19.  - I yes I'm really looking forward to it  :thumb:
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

hrvat2

Man, probably a wise decision but there's no way I'd have not run if I was already signed up. Then again, I seldom do any trackdays and or raceweekends and I no longer ride on the street :(

jeyrod

• Flying Squirrel Racing
  • Flying Squirrel Racing
    • Flying Squirrel Racing
15th! Thats my normal spot.
Flying Squirrel Racing
Lockhart Phillips USA
Vortex Racing
Amsoil
"I'm so far behind...I think I'm in first."

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
Not that I've ever raced before, but that's why I like track days...because depending on the degree, if your head's not in the game, you can tone it down (or sit out) without it being that big of a deal...being worried about points must be a pain in the ass sometimes ???
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Yea... It definitely wasn't an easy decision to make, but I'm glad I made it.

Man, probably a wise decision but there's no way I'd have not run if I was already signed up. Then again, I seldom do any trackdays and or raceweekends and I no longer ride on the street :(

I understand that completely...  if I were only running a few race weekends or track days a year, I'd be way more adapt to stay and run, but since I'm running 5 race weekends with the full practice days prior, plus at least 7-8 more track days... I'm getting my fair share a track time this year.   :thumb:

15th! Thats my normal spot.
Yea but there were only 20 riders in the field (not counting experts)...  :P

being worried about points must be a pain in the ass sometimes ???

Luckily I'm not worried about point this year, after missing the first three weekend due to work, chasing points became a pretty moot...  So I'm doing it this year strictly out of the desire (and fun I have) to race.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

welldrilleRR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
I was wondering if that first race would clear your head. Probably a wise choice to sit the rest out. It took me till my 3rd race on Sunday before I was to get comfortable with the bike again.
Hope to see ya in a couple weeks. If there is anything you may need help with let me know. Ray
07' rr (race) #71 CCS Thank you sponsors: Sam's well drilling, Lithium Motorsports, Michelin, Rush Motorsports

03' rr (street)