Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 2000 Aprilia?  (Read 1485 times)

Grady

• FREAK Member
  • http://www.sportbikefunnies.com/
2000 Aprilia?
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
Guess what. This guy just started working in my group yesterday (Feb22, 07). Rode his nice little bike to work. Well.. I snapped some pics cause I knew yall afficionados would appreciate seeing them!..

Heres one with my baby in the pic just for a little proof of being there-ship.

And a couple more with just the Aprilia...

Notice the Harley in the background. Dude wears a little lid with
"I would rather push a harley than ride a honda" sticker on it.!  :spank: :spank:

Sorry I couldnt get mo-betta ones, but cameras are illegal where I work...  :D
Cherry as in mint or as in cherry red. And if cherry red, wine cherry, wild cherry, black cherry, or mint cherry? Actually do you have some mint tires in minty green, or mint & chip?  ;D

Bounce

• FREAK Member
  • Will work for track time.
Re: 2000 Aprilia?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »
Sweet.

The 2000 Mille and my 2003 Tuono are pretty much the same bike, except I've got wide, high bars, and less fairing.

That chassis is so stiff and the suspension is just amazing.  It really encourages you to be a late-braking fool because you've got such great feel for what the front end is doing.

The motor is a 1000cc V-twin made by Rotax.  It's just about bulletproof and requires far less maintenance than Ducati's V-twins do.

Looks like he's got the Aluminum Aprilia Racing slip-on.  I've got the Ti version...basically the same thing, just a little lighter.  The sound is a bit on the anti-social side, but every time I open the throttle on the damn thing, I get wood, so I don't care.   :(

Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400S - Dirt/street

If you love your motorcycle, set it free.  If it comes back, you've probably highsided.

Grady

• FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »
Thanks bounce! I was wondering about the specifics of that bike. He told me he bought it wrecked for 2K from some friends that race moto gp?
Cherry as in mint or as in cherry red. And if cherry red, wine cherry, wild cherry, black cherry, or mint cherry? Actually do you have some mint tires in minty green, or mint & chip?  ;D

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 06:18:55 PM »
Thanks bounce! I was wondering about the specifics of that bike. He told me he bought it wrecked for 2K from some friends that race moto gp?

LOL!  You're in Mississippi, right?  I don't recall seeing too many MotoGP racers from there.  :)

If memory serves, they did race the Mille's in World Superbike for a while.  Aprilia is pretty big in the 2-stroke GP classes (125 and 250), but their brief forray into 4-stroke MotoGP racing a few years ago was a complete disaster.  Just ask Colin Edwards or Nori Haga.   :P

I've had my Tuono for almost a year, and I'm totally in love with the bike.  I gave up a BMW Sport Tourer to buy it and really thought I'd be missing the Beemer on the long trips, but that just hasn't been the case.  With an aftermarket windscreen (Zero Gravity Sport Touring), I'm totally comfy on the bike and we've done several 600+ mile days, and one day that was almost 800 miles.  On the 800 miler, when we stopped for the night, I was still totally comfortable and could have probably done another couple hundred miles easily.

Mine's got Ohlins internals in the (Showa) forks, and a triple-clicker Penske rear, so that combined with the really rigid chassis gives you awesome feel for what's going on without beating you to death like a bike with cheap suspension would.

And that motor.  Wow.  You can park the thing in 3rd gear and just run that all day if you want.  1st gear is an excercise in throttle control if you don't want to be constantly lofting the front wheel every time your right hand moves. 

The combination of the way the bike feels on the brakes, and that incredible torque-monster of a motor have really changed my riding style.  Now I come in deep on the brakes, square the corner off, and fire it out the other side.  It's way more fun (to me, anyway) than carrying tons of cornerspeed like you do on less torquey bikes, and probably safer anyway.

The Mille is basically the same bike, but with clip-ons and a full fairing. 

Here's the wife riding the new Mille at LVMS during the Femmoto 2006 event:

This was the Mille R (Now called the RSV R), which includes Ohlins front and rear, OZ forged Aluminum wheels, and some other misc go-fast and/or bling goodies.

Aprilia's interesting...overall they make really nice motorcycles....certainly on-par with the other premium European brands like Ducati, and MV as far as quality and workmanship. They skimp in a few places by using generic bits instead of custom....for example:  The brakes are generic Brembo units.  While they work quite well, the way the rear is plumbed, you have to remove the rear caliper and flip it upside down to bleed it properly...because it's probably designed for a Ducati or something where it would be mounted upside down, and the bleeder nipple is placed accordingly.  There are a few other minor things like that.

The only other real downside that I've found for Aprilia is it can be difficult to get parts sometimes.  Normal routine stuff like oil filters and other normal maintenance items are easy to get.  But when I crashed back in June and had to replace a bunch of bodywork...some stuff was back-ordered for several months.  Then again...a friend of mine has the exact same bike, and he managed to loop it, then crash into a stopped car (long story), and he got replacement parts very quickly.  It's really a crap-shoot, I think.  I talked to a guy on a 2000 Mille at a track day, and he said he converted his Mille to track-only because he lowsided and it was going to take 9 months to get the bodywork he needed.  So...he bought Sharkskinz and converted to track-only.

As a company, they've been in fairly serious finanical trouble a couple of times, but seem to be on the rebound now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:23:09 PM by Bounce »
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

If you love your motorcycle, set it free.  If it comes back, you've probably highsided.

Grady

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
Wow. You know a bunch about Aprilia. Im going to have to hit that dude up on Monday and get him to start coming here so you can have another Aprilia buddy. Maybe he has some ins on parts for it???

Also I rode with a dude yesterday that had a Repsol 1000rr replica. Man I really would like to have one of those. Anyway he said Josh something lives right here in Gulfport. He might have been full of krap, but he said they were all going to daytona to watch him race. again...???

Oh, by the way +1 for having a wife that will ride a sho' nuff sportbike, on the track no less. :thumb:

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:10:45 PM »
Wow. You know a bunch about Aprilia. Im going to have to hit that dude up on Monday and get him to start coming here so you can have another Aprilia buddy. Maybe he has some ins on parts for it???

It's pretty straightforward, really.  AF1Racing has a pretty good online store for parts (and if they don't have it on their website, they can order it for you).  They also sponsor Apriliaforum.com which has a for sale section for used parts.  And stuff pops up on eBay from time to time.  That's about it.  I mean...there are some brick and mortal dealers, but they're looking at the same parts database that AF1 has, so if AF1 can't get it, nobody can.

Also I rode with a dude yesterday that had a Repsol 1000rr replica. Man I really would like to have one of those. Anyway he said Josh something lives right here in Gulfport. He might have been full of krap, but he said they were all going to daytona to watch him race. again...???

That would be Josh Hayes.  2006 AMA Formula Extreme champion rider for Erion Honda.  The FX battle last year between Josh Hayes and Eric Bostrom was pretty awesome to watch with lots of very close races.  Unlike AMA Superbike where you just wondered which Yoshimura Suzuki was going to win by 5 seconds.  Actually, I'd say FX was probably the best AMA roadracing we saw last year.  Major props to Josh and the Erion boys for sticking it to the factory Yamaha squad.   ;D

Oh, by the way +1 for having a wife that will ride a sho' nuff sportbike, on the track no less. :thumb:

Yeah...I'm pretty lucky.  It drives the cost up quite a bit since we have to buy two of everything, but what the hell...it's only money.   :thumb:
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »
I rather crash a Honda than ride a Harley.           

And that is the truth.  Who can get us some stickers made up.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Grady

• FREAK Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:09:48 AM »
I rather crash a Honda than ride a Harley.           

And that is the truth.  Who can get us some stickers made up.

I second that movement, or motion, or whatever. :thumb:
[applaud]

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »
I second that movement, or motion, or whatever. :thumb:
[applaud]

Hijack: Have you guys ever ridden one?

It's a totally different experience, obviously, but for the mission they're intended...they're just about perfect.

I wouldn't take one to the track (though I have seen a few at Keith Code days), and it wouldn't be my first choice for canyon carving, but if I want a nice relaxing "smell the roses" type of ride, I can't imagine a better bike.
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

alpinestaRR

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »
but if I want a nice relaxing "smell the roses" type of ride, I can't imagine a better bike.

i can...it's called a goldwing  :P

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »
i can...it's called a goldwing  :P

Nah...different kind of ride.  The 'wing is for LONG 2-up cruises at higher speed.

Besides..the fairing and suspension of the 'wing really isolate you from the road.  That's a good thing if you're trying to minimize fatigue and maximize comfort on a long ride, but not so good if you want to experience that stuff on a shorter ride.

The low-end torque of the Harley twin is pretty intoxicating, and if you don't need to cruise all day at 85mph, it's got more than enough power.  They lack ground clearance, of course, but they're not intended to be high-speed corner carvers anyway.

They aren't really my thing because I really enjoy the corners, and I need a bike that I can go all day on with an average cruise speed of 80-90mph.  But they certainly have their place and I can totally understand why so many people like them.
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

alpinestaRR

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
idk i tink i'm losin my goldwing dream anyway, just found a good deal on a valkryie (sp?)

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 12:27:20 AM »
idk i tink i'm losin my goldwing dream anyway, just found a good deal on a valkryie (sp?)

The Valk is a beast.  If I had room in the garage and money in the bank, it would definitely be one of the bike's I'd own...along with a Road King...and an MV1000....and a CRF450....and an Aprilia SuperMotard...and...

What can I say...I'm a slut...if it's got two wheels, I want to ride it.   8)
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »
Really I dont dislike Harley or any bike for that matter, for me its all about 2 wheels. What I dont like is the majority of riders out there who ride Harleys and think that HD's are the only motorcycles made, and everything else is just Jap Junk. Its just the people and the attitude, they are just so caught up in HD.

I have rode my uncle's HD, can't remember what he has, but he has done lots of performace stuff to it, I think he is up to 1700cc's. I rode it and boy it does have monster torque, way more than my bike, I think he said over 100 ft. pounds, its really hard to hold onto when you open it up.

I give Harley riders crap because they give it to us. They would not ride a Honda, but I tell you when the time comes I will get me an 07 Night Rod Special, 16K for a new one is just why to much money for a bike, someday though.

Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 01:09:41 AM »
I tell you when the time comes I will get me an 07 Night Rod Special, 16K for a new one is just why to much money for a bike, someday though.

I know...isn't that a sweet looking bike?  And it's got that monster motor from the V-rod.

I gotta say...if they ever put that motor in a decent Sport Touring chassis, I'd be on it like fat on a mother-in-law.
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street