Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 1st gear  (Read 46661 times)

grasshopper

1st gear
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »
Will a stock cbr600rr (2005) model do 90 mph in first gear?
I read this about the bike on a another forum and was
wondering if it's true (before I buy one) or is it just  :jerkoff:

thanks

grasshopper

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
Re: 1st gear
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:51:04 AM »
With a stock bike and stock gearing, 90 mph is just  :jerkoff:.

The theoretical top speed in 1st @ redline for a stock 05/06 600RR is 72 mph.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 01:12:43 AM »
If someone claims that, then there gearing has been changed and the speedo is off so it reads higher.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

sledge

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 02:43:49 AM »
+1 on both responses

hairbag

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:08:45 AM »
It's actually 73.2 mph.
Hairbag

snakeman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
 ???why would you base buying one on whether it will do 90 in first gear ?

hairbag

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Because if it will go 90 mph in first and it's a 6 speed transmission it's easy to do the math----this thing will do 540mph---DA!
Hairbag

Grady

• FREAK Member
  • http://www.sportbikefunnies.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »
Because if it will go 90 mph in first and it's a 6 speed transmission it's easy to do the math----this thing will do 540mph---DA!

touche'   :D
Cherry as in mint or as in cherry red. And if cherry red, wine cherry, wild cherry, black cherry, or mint cherry? Actually do you have some mint tires in minty green, or mint & chip?  ;D

grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »
Here's the deal. I have a zrx1100, I'm thinking about modding it some to add some speed
and power. It will to to around 62 in first.
I don't have much invested in the bike, and would like to try a "pure" sportbike out someday,
but it will probably be my last purchase for a while, so I wanna buy a FAST one, and of course,
not spend a great deal of money.

I don't particularly like to go fast for a long period of time, and the
public roads don't lend themselves to long periods of great speed
(hayabusa like) but I REALLY like to accelerate.
so I want a bike that will get to a very high speed very quickly, and I'd like one that
roll's on from 60-80 in under 3 seconds. The Honda cbr954 and the Ninja ZX-10 seem to
meet this requirement, base on specs I've seen.
(http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street_bike_performance_times/)

I like the looks of the cbr600rr a lot, one popped up close to me for a good deal,
and it specs out pretty close to what I want on the chart. So when I read on another
forum that it would get to 90 in first, I just thought I'd check with some
regular riders....

The fact that it will get to 540 mph is just icing on the cake... 8)

hairbag

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »
Unless your going to the track it sounds like you will be a wet spot on the road someday if thats the way your going to ride on the streets. What would you like on your head stone?
Hairbag

grasshopper

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 08:27:09 PM »
I'm not sure how straight line acceleration to at or just over the
speed limit is more dangerous than any other
two wheel endeavor, but....okay.

My headstone should read:

"At least he died fast...."

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »
just about any 600 and up is going to be fast from 0-100, after 100 the bigger bikes will start to really pull on a 600. If you want acceleration you can get the 600 and do a gearing change ie. 15/45 or similar, and you would get noticable gain in acceleration.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
I utterly request everyone to read this through simply because its the cold hard truth and if you dont like it thats nice, good luck, ride safe, AND WEAR YOUR FUCKING GEAR!!!!!!

if your looking for straight acceleration buy a gsxr 1000 and stretch it and put a big back tire on it and take it to your local drag strip so that you dont end up being that wet spot on the road due to many un-realized circumstances. To me you sound a little immature and that your not looking at the big picture here. The only times i ever broke the law period was when there was maybe 5 cars going on the road on both sides or sunday mornings at no later than 10am so that traffic was minimal and so far out in the country that there was maybe 100 people that would even use the road period. And the two times i was hit by a car i was minding my own business obeying the law and was almost killed the second time (spent 2 weeks in a coma). If you want a really fast bike, cool go to the track. For the street all you could ever need is a completely stock 600 and about a grand in gear to help minimize injury. If your constantly riding aggressive and in excessive speeds your playing russian roullette, you know 1 bullet in a revolver and pulling the trigger to see if you live or not. And ill quote many experianced riders " theres only two types of riders ones that have been down, and ones that are going to go down". And for gods sake if your riding on the street you are realatively unnoticed and it could be just that, or gravel, or a wet spot, an oil slick and so many other things. Hope ya'll read it.
:thumb: temper pedic mattresses don't have shit on cinderblocks and cardboard

" To reach manhood, we are all cast into the fire and are purified by pain."

grasshopper

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:13:33 PM »
 I wear all the gear all the time.
I ride a motorcycle because it's fun.
I just happen to like the raw accelleration part the most.

Going from 0-65 or 70, or rolling on from 60-80 are very common things I do in a car and
on the bike. I just like to do them more on the bike because they happen much faster.

I would think the speed of a bike is partly why we all ride, in addition of course, to the other
elements of motorcycling that you just can't get anywhere else.

Anyway, after reading some of these replies, it's like the content of the thread has been
skipped in favor of a few key words.  Oh Well, some of the replies have been very informative.

As with most things, you've got to take the good with the bad.
Thanks for the information and advice all..

grasshopper (immature...until I can snatch the pebbles... ;D )

hairbag

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 07:26:04 AM »
The content of this thread is not being skipped. It's to bad you couldn't step back and read your thread from our prospective--------it sound a little silly. Like Maskale said any of the 600's and up will provide the excitement you claim to be looking for. What more info do you need. Most riders are no where close to riding these bikes to there potential (even in a straight line)so it really doesn't make a difference.

In addition if you have the throttle pegged banging gears on your way from 0-70 because these are "common things I do in a car" guess what,,,,,,,your not paying attention. A car pulls out, a ball rolls across with a kid behind,,,,,then what.

Hey it's a free country. Do what you like. But if you ask my opinion you need to change the way you ride on the street first.........Then decide what kind of bike you want.
Hairbag