Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Gingerman 10/7-8  (Read 5231 times)

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
Gingerman 10/7-8
« on: October 12, 2006, 02:26:01 PM »
Last race of '06.. Got that mandatory crash in, but it was by far my weakest crash ever!

Finally.. Round #11, Gingerman Raceway in South Haven MI.  I left Friday morning and met up with Jeff down in Milwaukee and we followed each other to the track..  Saturday was practice until 3PM, then one race after that.  I wanted to get all the practice in I could, its been probably a good month since I was able to ride my own bike on a dry track and I still hadn't ridden since the whole bad gas incident at the last race.  First session out there the bike had some minor hiccups which I assumed was the remnants of the bad gas running out.  Everything was going smoothly until my third session on the track, I turn onto the front straight and just as I'm out of the corner I've got no power.  The engine is banging off the rev limiter but she's not going any faster..  I try another gear.. same.. I try every gear and still get nothing.. Luckily I had enough speed coming out of the corner to coast the full length of the straight (that would've been a long uphill push otherwise!) and I went off the track in turn 1.  I pushed my bike through 100 feet of what turned out to be a swamp with 6" of standing water and wow was I tired after that!  Got to the pit road exit, started pushing my bike back up that and the corner worker met me there to help push.  Great, I'm out of breath after the swamp pushing!  Let me get on the bike.. Well, that was my thought anyway.  I got my leg halfway up in the air and the corner worker started pushing!  Shit!!  Danger, danger, heavy bike falling down!!  There goes the bike onto its right side.  I tried pulling it back up but couldn't save it.  I tucked my head and did a sweet roll (which other people saw by the way.. hehe..) and got up to look at my bike lying on the ground.  I didn't care at this point.. I just laughed at it.  Jeff came out there and picked up my bike and pushed it the rest of the way back.. 

When I got my helmet and gear off and I'm standing there looking at it trying to think what might be wrong with it, Joe Lee walked over and says "Hey Greg, where's your chain?"  Hey, that could be why I had no power...  Lucky for me a corner worker saw the chain fly off and picked it up, I ended up having to reuse the chain since there wasn't a single vendor at the track that had a new one!  Tommy Girard came through and lent me  a new master link to put the chain back together, and with a little dremel tool cutting I was back in action..  The chain actually tore a link in half, I'm really lucky it must have broke on the bottom of the rear sprocket and went flying out the back, if it would have broke anywhere else it could've flown up and hit my left leg, or if it would've broke and got bound up on the front sprocket it could've snapped the transmission output shaft right off or just plain split the engine in half.  Not cool.  Reminder kids, replace your chain before this happens!

Saturday Race - GTO
So after that, all seemed well.  I got new tires put on and went out for GTO.. Everything seemed good at first, until a couple laps into it I started losing third gear.  Try to shift into third, it instantly pops out into a false neutral.  Kick the shifter again, and if it goes into gear its right up into 4th, which kills my drive..  argh, frustrating!  That happened probably 7 or 8 times during that race, resulting in a less than spectacular finish.  The only way I could stop it from happening was either skipping third gear all together or just rolling on the throttle real gently.. After the race talking to a couple guys we came to the conclusion its probably a bent shift fork not getting the bike all the way into gear.. wonderful!  My bike hates me, its possessed.

All by myself...

Sunday
Sunday.. 3 races.  I went out for practice, its still coming out of third gear.. My first race was Supertwins, the race I wanted to do really good in.  I was gridded on pole for this one (sweet!) My start was good, I was dead even with Brian Lacy going into turn 1 but he had the inside line going into 2.. Paul James was right on his tail on my inside so after turn 2 I was back in third place.  I stayed right on the two of them for two laps, eyeing up where I could get a pass in.. If it was going to happen it would be on the sweeper turns in the back half of the track, I was able to run up on them a little there.  But of course, that was not meant to be.  Back straight, it came out of gear.   Up into 4th I went, Joe Lee goes flying past me.. buhbye.  It happened a couple more times, ended up finishing in 5th.  So much for second place in the super twins championship..  Ended up in third, which isn't  bad, but I know I could've done better!

Hammer don't hurt 'em.  Err.. I  mean Jonny don't hurt 'em.

The rest of the day was pretty much the same story.. got decent starts, lost third gear, lost positions in Unlimited GP.. I did have fun running with some guy on a new gsxr 750 (at least I hope it was a 750.. if a 600 pulls on me like that on a straight the transmission is the least of my problems!).. he'd pull away from me on the straights, I'd catch him in the corners.  Finally I put a pass on him in the very last corner and it was a drag race to the finish line.  I lost by a wheel, but it was the most fun I've had losing in a while! lol..

Last race of the year was heavyweight superbike.  Got a decent start, was holding my own in the middle of the pack, then on the back straight downshifting for the last corner, now the bike wouldn't downshift into third!! fcuk!!  I was counting on the engine braking from the rear wheel to slow me down, by the time I got it into gear I had blown the corner completely and was on pit road.  I decided I still wanted to go out there and have some fun, so down pit road I went.. I tell you what, if you want to scare the crap out of 100 people standing on the pit wall, go down the pit road at about 120.  hehe.  So I got back out, turned some laps, caught back up to the same guy on the 750 I tried to beat in the last race but wasn't close enough to pass him again, oh well.  Thats how the season ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

So I packed it up and headed home.  At least I'm in one piece..  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) that was the last race for me on the RC51.  She gave me two full years of racing with no rebuilds/repairs and no real mechanical problems until this last weekend, I'd say thats pretty darn good!  Built Honda tough, right? 

Thanks to Jeff for helping me get a chain back on my bike among many other things, Jen for breakfast and dinner, Tommy G for the chain link, Deni's Jen for shutting my dog up while I was trying to eat (hehe), and Dodge for building the Barracuda that allowed my dad to pick up my mom, without which I would not be here today.  ;)
--Greg

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
Re: Gingerman 10/7-8
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »
Racing sounds like fun, I just found some tracks here  in Tx, I hope to get some track days next year.

So what you saying, The Barracuda got game but your dad is lacking?
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:27:33 PM »
Sounds like you needed that SV650 back!!! :P

Good work out there! ;D
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Sindarin

• Expert Spectator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 08:54:05 PM »
Great report Greg!  :thumb:
I pushed my bike through 100 feet of what turned out to be a swamp with 6" of standing water and wow was I tired after that!
Thats how I felt after trying to push start your bike last month as Blackhawk!  :P

Great overall standings for someone only in their 2nd(I think?) year of racing, and on a rather portly bike, by todays standards, to boot. Well done!  ;D

Looking forward to seeing you next year on the 600RR.
'09 KTM 690 SMC

jeyrod

• Flying Squirrel Racing
  • Flying Squirrel Racing
    • Flying Squirrel Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:36:32 AM »
I didnt see anything about feeding the photographer dog food. ???
Flying Squirrel Racing
Lockhart Phillips USA
Vortex Racing
Amsoil
"I'm so far behind...I think I'm in first."

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:07:33 AM »

he he he..
I figured I wrote half a novel already, no need to make it longer!

So what you saying, The Barracuda got game but your dad is lacking?

Pretty much  :P
--Greg

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »
The barracuda, a 6 pack of hamms & an 8-track of stevie guitar miller... LOL...

Good report Greg.  Yeah, you did good this year.  Had a lot of fun and a lot of good memories.  Looking forward to seeing you step up the game in 07 on the new CBR600RR.
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

Sindarin

• Expert Spectator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »
:P
Garlic cookies?
'09 KTM 690 SMC

Johnny P

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • 44 Right!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 02:57:25 PM »
Great report, and great job this year.  We are all very proud of how well you did this year! ;D
CCS Midewest Expert #57
04 CBR600RR (Race)
03 Ducati 999
06 Suzuki RMZ250
05 Yama ha ha ZUMA!

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »
Thanks everyone  ;D

You know..  I just realized something (yes, it took me a week to put this together..)  The bike didn't start coming out of gear until right after the chain broke..  It was in third gear when the chain broke..  Only third gear was screwed up.

Guess I didn't get away with just a broken chain..   ???
--Greg

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »
You might have to adjust your price in the for sale forum, now that you have let everyone in one whats wrong with it.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »
You might have to adjust your price in the for sale forum, now that you have let everyone in one whats wrong with it.

Parting it out instead.  Or at least parting it partly out if that makes sense  ???
--Greg