Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: How to install frame sliders  (Read 22559 times)

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
How to install frame sliders
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:41:41 AM »
Follow one of these techniques and they will be near perfect:

Here are a few nice installation recommendations from another site:

"You'll need some play doh

1. Take off the fairings
2. Take out the right side engine bolt, I believe this is the side with the pinch bolt, I'm too lazy to go look to confirm but don't forget to loosen it first or you'll be battling with it all day.
3. Install the longer bolt from the frame slider.
4. Now look at the fairing and you'll notice an impression in the foam made from the OEM engine bolt. Cut away enough foam for the slider to go through.
5. Place a hunk of play doh over the spot and remount the fairing pressing the bolt into the play doh. BE CAREFUL TO GET IT RIGHT HERE AS THIS PART IS CRUCIAL to centering up your hole.
6. Carefully pull the fairing off while doing your best to not mess up the impression.
7. Drill a small pilot hole through the centre of the play doh impression from inside out.
8. Tape up the painted side of your fairing with masking tape to avoid chipping up the edges.
9. Use a hole bit/saw (usually 2") and drill the hole through your fairing.
10. Install slider, remove tape and reinstall the fairing.
11. Do the same for the other side.

Alternate method if you have at least a rear stand and a laser level.

1. Mount the bike on the stand, that way she's nice and stable and upright.
2. With the fairings off, line up the dead centre of the engine bolt with the laser level.
3. For OBVIOUS REASONS, make sure the laser level is far enough away from your work area to ensure it can't be knocked, moved etc.
4. Mount the fair back on and the laser level should mark the dead centre on the fairing itself.
5. Mark the hole and go from step 7 mentioned above. "
"There but for the grace of God go I"

hagrid...

• Knockturn Alley
Re: How to install frame sliders
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:40:49 AM »
For those using the "laser-level or laser-pointer" method: When I did mine, I tie-wrapped my laser pointer to a camera tripod.  Using a tripod made it easier to align to the center of the engine bolt.  And as Fret mentioned, make sure the laser device does not get moved, or the bike.

Overall, I found the laser pointer method to be really accurate.

Hagrid...
You'll never see a U-Haul behind a hearse, so have fun now!

JustFileIt

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:19:39 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I haven't been on here in a while and I think my install prompted Fret to post this last season   8) 

Not thinking, I rushed my install and didn't use a stand because...well...I didn't have one right then and didn't want to wait to use Frets.  Putting the bike up on a stand would have made a HUGE difference.  As it is now, my slider holes are off by just a bit because of the angle the bike sits at when it's on the kick stand.  The left side is off by far more than the right side was (I had to dremel it out a little just to get the fairing back on). 

I've only shown a few people where I jacked it up, anyone else hasn't noticed it yet though.  Lesson learned...listen to Fret  :D   ;D

davage280

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »
Just got done installing a pair of woodcraft frame sliders.  :thumb:

I used the laser theory, but to double check my pilot hole placement I drilled a little pilot hole and then mounted the fairing on the bike. With the same drill (using the level on it) I drilled through the same pilot hole enough to touch the middle of the allen bolt hole. After seeing that I was over the exact spot, or making a correction and reaccomplishing the check, then I went to the 2 in. hole drill and made the cut. It worked out great and there isn't any dead space around the puck.

Very pleased with the results.

bobhope

• FREAK Member
  • .....i'm not really an indian
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »
pics?
"Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."

-Anonymous

Grady

• FREAK Member
  • http://www.sportbikefunnies.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »
Heres some pics from when I installed my Vortex sliders bob...

http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php/topic,16716.0.html
Cherry as in mint or as in cherry red. And if cherry red, wine cherry, wild cherry, black cherry, or mint cherry? Actually do you have some mint tires in minty green, or mint & chip?  ;D

bobhope

• FREAK Member
  • .....i'm not really an indian
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
how do you like those sliders there grady?     

i got the same ones on mine
"Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."

-Anonymous

Nihon Newbie

• FREAK Member
  • It's like a semi-controlled, near-death experience
    • Page for my 49 state bike tour
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:27:06 PM »
Hey Davage280, what year CBR do you have?
1972 CB100 K2 - Fully Restored || 2008 CBR600RR - Street/Track || 1985 CH150 - Under Construction || 2007 CBR600RR Street/Track - (Sold: May/2011) || 1982 Urban Express NU50m - (Sold: May/2011) || 2006 CBR600RR - My First Bike (sold: 05/2007)

i.rideCBRo8

• beat freak
  • B DUBB..
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 03:22:28 PM »
Are these accurate directions for the 08' cbr600rr too?
YUHHH!!

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »
Are these accurate directions for the 08' cbr600rr too?

maybe, maybe not. same concept though, if you can do them on a 03-06 you can do them on any bike.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Grady

• FREAK Member
  • http://www.sportbikefunnies.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »
bob...I know it took like 9 months to answer but I love them! Ive had 1 wreck and dropped my bike on both sides and the only damage came from the wreck. Honestly the minor rash that I did incur from the wreck is almost laughable cause I didnt break mirrors or blinkers. I dont worry at all about dropping my bike anymore because these sliders have proven themselves again and again.
Cherry as in mint or as in cherry red. And if cherry red, wine cherry, wild cherry, black cherry, or mint cherry? Actually do you have some mint tires in minty green, or mint & chip?  ;D

cosmo

• FREAK Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 03:39:07 AM »
you mean one and a half years almost :P
bob doesn't even have the rr any more if i remember corectly
    07 RR doing   who needs diesel? 8)

vfrbh1

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
for real change support the fairtax act: fairtax.org

strtspdlx

• Newbies
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:00:22 PM »
if you lose a laser level how does that work? ive only seen those type of levels with one plane...as in you can use them only vertical or horizontally...?? do they sell them with both options? what type do you use? (can anyone give me a brand reference?)

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »
you only need a dot, dose not even have to be a level, a laser pointer can work, but eye ball it and get it as close to level as possible and parallel with the bolt.   You bike needs to be on a rear stand, or propped up on something so that it straight up, you can lean the bar up against a wall if need be just until you get the faring marked.

take the fairing off, set up the bike and align the laser so that it points dead center of the bolt.   without moving anything put the fairing back on, you don't have bolt it on, but it needs to be where it goes.  Get a sharpie and mark the laser spot.

a laser that gives you a line wont do you much good, you either need a dot or two lines.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net