Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Street D'fense - Defensive riding tips  (Read 21286 times)

Bounce

• FREAK Member
  • Will work for track time.
Re: Street D'fense - Defensive riding tips
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »
Personally, I don't drink when I'm going to be riding, regardless of the pace.

One of the big reasons I ride is because of the intense focus that it requires.  Alchohol blurs that focus for me and detracts from the ride.

It isn't uncommon to see me three sheets to the wind after a ride  ;D , but I stick with gatorade/water/soda during the day.
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400S - Dirt/street

If you love your motorcycle, set it free.  If it comes back, you've probably highsided.

hagrid...

• Knockturn Alley
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 07:59:22 PM »
Bounce - I agree completly... I leave the beer for after the ride...

Hagrid...
You'll never see a U-Haul behind a hearse, so have fun now!

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 08:15:49 PM »
Personally, I don't drink when I'm going to be riding, regardless of the pace.

I drink all the time........................

water, Gatoraid, soda, juice...  :P

My first major crash was a result of drinking alcohol and riding and I did it probably 100 times before having a big fall!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

locdogg

• Yes its fast, no you can't ride it!
  • FREAK Member
  • Ride red fucker!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »
uuhh do actualy think i put juice and crap in my camelback? Hell no, Im a lush!! JK I rarely drink, and neverrrrr when riding!!!!
And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

hagrid...

• Knockturn Alley
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »
For those riders who live in states that allow lane splitting; a.k.a: threading the needle, taking suidie alley:

#14. Slow down when splitting lanes, your speed should never be more than a few miles an hours faster than the traffic is moving.  Here in California, lane splitting is pretty normal stuff especially in commute traffic.  Too often I see guys flying by at 20 or 30 mph when the traffic is at a stop or barley moving.

Be real careful as the traffic begins to slow down, it's in those few moments when the cars do those "Crazy Ivans", that's change lanes.

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »
Be real careful as the traffic begins to slow down, it's in those few moments when the cars do those "Crazy Ivans", that's change lanes.

Excellent advice...and it's good advice whether you're splitting or not.
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

If you love your motorcycle, set it free.  If it comes back, you've probably highsided.

jander2005

• Newbies
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 10:52:23 AM »
When ever i have had to lock up my rear tire it pops really loud and jumps up and down. I have a 2005 cbr6600rr, anyone else had this happen?

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
When ever i have had to lock up my rear tire it pops really loud and jumps up and down. I have a 2005 cbr6600rr, anyone else had this happen?

No. What kind of tire do you have.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 12:00:08 PM »

Why is this being posted in the Defensive riding tip thread...you couldn't start a new thread or find some other unrelated thread?

Let's avoid littering up this high quality thread guys ok? If the conversation continues about htis in this thread, I'm going to start a new thread for you.
"There but for the grace of God go I"

hagrid...

• Knockturn Alley
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 12:44:53 PM »
#15 Slow down when approaching a blind corner, stay toward the middle or inside of your lane.  This is especially important when riding in areas with narrow or unmarked lanes.

Here is something to consider: You are approacing a blind corner,  you are on the outside of your lane, at the same time  "maw and paw" comes around the corner in one of the those hugh trucks in the middle of the road... Well, need I say more...

Don't give one of those bungling drivers a chance to kill you...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:55:45 PM by hagrid... »

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 02:15:01 PM »
Here is something to consider: You are approacing a blind corner,  you are on the outside of your lane, at the same time  "maw and paw" comes around the corner in one of the those hugh trucks in the middle of the road... Well, need I say more...

Don't give one of these bungling drivers a chance to kill you...

This is a subject of great debate.

On a right turn, a late apex does indeed put you closer to the middle of the road.  But, it also puts you in a position where you're likely to have better visibility than if you're farther over towards the middle or inside of your lane.  Personally, I'll take visibility because the sooner I see the problem, the sooner I can do something about it, even if I am a bit closer to the threat.

Another consideration...on right turns, the inside of the lane is where you're most likely to find the sand/dirt/gravel/etc that gets pulled onto the road by passing semi trucks, vehicles with trailers, etc.

The middle of the lane isn't much better since that's where the transmission fluid, antifreeze, differential oil, and engine oil will be leaking out of the vehicles that went ahead of you.

I'm not saying that "stay toward the inside" is a bad idea, but it definitely has its drawbacks and you'll have to weigh those with the advantage.

"Slow down when approaching a blind corner" is indeed good advice.  A friend of mine, who's been riding since God was a small child, has some very good advice about this subject:   "Don't go around a blind corner faster than you are willing to fall down or run into something."
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street

hagrid...

• Knockturn Alley
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »
Bounce - It is a tough call between visibility and being on the inside of your lane.  And your friend's saying is perfect "Don't go around a blind corner faster than you are willing to fall down or run into something."

I have to admit, being on the far inside has saved me at least twice.  One from a group of motorcycle riders, each one through the corners was getting further into my lane.  The last guy almost clipped my mirror.

Hagrid...

hagrid...

• Knockturn Alley
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »
#16 (Even though it should be #1)  Always, always wear good riding gear.  That includes:

1. Full-face DOT approved or better helmet.
2. Good quality gloves made with protective materials.
3. Riding jacket made with protective materials with shoulder, elbow, and back armor/protection.
4. Riding boot with shin protection.
5. Riding pants made with protective materials with knee protection.

Notes:

** Anything above the most casual of ride, I suggest full protection. **

I know that it is not practical to wear a complete set of protection on every ride.  But common sense tells me that a full-face helmet and gloves are the absolute minimum for the most casual of rides.  The type of ride to the local coffee shop, the neighborhood store, or your buddy's down the street.  The type of ride where there is minimal traffic and your speed will not exceed 30 MPH. Even then, you may want to consider a protective jacket or more.

Protective materials are abrasion resistant, and are design to work well in the 1 to 2 seconds during a crash.  In other words, they don't tear easily and they don't melt quickly from heat when you are sliding down the street on the pavement.  Protective materials include leather, Gortex, and Darien to name a few. For you future racers, good old leather is still preferred for the track.

Do not wear a helmet that has already been in a crash unless you are 100% sure that it did not sustain an impact of any degree.  Helmets are like egg shells, they protect well until cracked, and then they are useless and in some cases, provide no impact protection in a future crash.

What do you think?  Please add your comments...

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 01:25:47 PM by hagrid... »

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »
Those tips are no fun, slow down here, slow down there.  Where's the fun in that?? :P

JUST KIDDING!! Great tips! :thumb:
Machines own the straights.  Riders own the corners.

Bounce

• FREAK Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:50 PM »
I know that it is not practical to wear a complete set of protection on every ride.

A bunch of that has to do with your choice of gear.  One of the big reasons I went with the 1-piece Roadcrafter is it goes on and off really fast, and I can wear it over my street clothes.

The suit goes on in about 20 seconds, quickly followed by the helmet and gloves.  The only thing that's easy for me to skip, is boots.

I don't tend to take the bike for "Just running to the store on the corner" errands, because...well, I dunno...I just don't.

For commuting, I kept a pair of dress shoes in my desk drawer.  I'd wear my moto boots with my work clothes, then put the Roadcrafter, helmet, and gloves on over that.  When I get to work, the gear comes off and I change into my dress shoes.

For day rides, I just leave my moto boots on all day.  They're leather/goretex boots from Alpinestar and they're comfortable enough to walk around in, and they don't look like something that a Power Ranger would wear, so they don't stand out too much.

So...I'm almost never in anything but all my gear.  When I wore a 2-piece suit (First Gear), it took a bunch longer to get it on/off, and it was easy to go without the pants and just wear jeans instead.  With the 1-piece, I don't have that temptation, and the suit goes on/off so easily anyway that it's not an issue.
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - track
'03 Tuono - Street