Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Dealer on 4000 mile warranty, used non honda oil, bike is 7 degrees hotter  (Read 20665 times)

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
Went to a honda dealer, he did the 4000 mile warranty, used his stock 4 stroke oil. 
After one day, I noticed the bike running 7 degrees hotter, I went back to the dealer, he said it is not the
oil? 
However, I purchased a new oil filter, and 3 more quarts of the GN4 honda oil and I noticed my
temp. go down 7 degrees. 
The dealer only refunded my $35.00 after I had to send $130-----

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
7 degrees aye? I can't believe they refunded even 35.00 and didn't laugh you out of the shop...it's freakin' motor oil, not some kind of magical coolant! It lubricates your engine and that's about it...that's why the bike has a radiator and coolant (liquid cooled)...

We finally have another thread for the unique question section...congratulations!  :P
"There but for the grace of God go I"

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
Fretless,
Your comments are the same as the dealers. 

All I know, I gained 7 degrees hotter after going to the dealer for an oil change------

The oil he used was a motorcyle 4 stroke oil 10/40,  however not the Honda Oil----

I have 4000 miles on my new CBR 600RR and have own a Yamaha YZ426 for 4 years----

You can say anything you want----But I was SURPRISED----

The dealers oil was different then the Honda Oil----I put both in a clear plastic cup----you can see the
Honda Oil is a lot thinner Oil. 

I paid the Honda Dealer to change the oil to the Honda GN4 and he didn't do it------that is the reason for the refund.

I'M SURE HONDA CALLS FOR THE HONDA GN4, FOR THE 4000 WARRANTY----

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
Fretless,
The Honda CBR 600rr can run to 15,500 rpm---that can and does generate Heat,  without the
correct Oil, I feel the heat can be increased. 

I believe in following the manufacturer recommendation when it comes to Oil----the CBR 600rr is
and engineering wonder---however with the wrong Oil it could be and Engineering Nightmare. 

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
Quoted from the service manual:

Recommended viscosity: 10w-40

Recommended engine oil: Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybdenum additives). 4 stroke oil or Honda 4 stroke oil or an equivalent motorcycle oil.

How do you know the ambient temperature (or other factors) didn't affect the running temp of the bike?

As long as the oil is what the MOM recommends all will be well...

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
After riding the CBR 600rr for 4000 miles over a two month period, I have watched the temp. all
the time when running.  The outside temp. is a great factor, however I determined that it was worth,
my time to change the oil filter and put in the Honda GN4. 

The honda oil cost $3.95 and tp just install a new oil filter.  -----

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
however I determined that it was worth, my time to change the oil filter and put in the Honda GN4.

Don't get me wrong...you can put whatever oil in your bike that you want, but what benefit do you think you gained by 7 degrees...IF it was the oil that caused that temperature difference?

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
7 degrees lower is a great difference----

I understand the new CBR 1000 has changed the arrangement for the fans to go on earlier. 

I personally feel that the 180 degree area is a great area for the bike to perform the
best, and if you want the motorcycle to last longer, try not to overheat your bike.  The 220 degree
temp. I personally feel was to conform to US gov. standards for emission, because the fan could
easily come on at 190 or 200 degrees

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
Food for thought...on an average summer day...at idle...my bike gets up to 228-230 (easily...that's with the fan crankin' too) and at freeway speed I'm luck if the bike gets down to 180ish...that's if I'm just puttering around...the temp is hotter if I'm pushing it...should we only ride on cool days for optimal performance and longevity, or should we strap on a window fan and run it constantly on hot days?

What about the people who race during the sweltering summer months...I'd bet a dollar you're putting more thought to this so called temperature issue than most people who race...

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
I'm sorry, but we don't agree. 

My bike with the Honda GN4, runs at apx. 173 to 180 temp. when I'm going 60 miles an hour. 
Having a fan to maintain the 180 temp at slower speeds is a good thing, not bad. 

My Yamaha YZ426 has no fan. 

My 1990 corvette has the same problem.  I just meet another Corvette owner that wired in a toggle
switch to turn on the fans manually.  Corvette was designed to run hotter, because of the US gov.
emissions laws. 

The honda cbr has a 4 inch fan that goes on at 220 degrees, my bike never goes above 223 degrees,
the bike should have 2 fans, on such a large radiator. 

I plan on putting 10,000 miles on the CBR 600rr this year----I'm at 4,000 miles. 

My dealer said not many people can get more then 20,000 miles on a CBR----
I feel that can be achieved, and a lot more. 

Your hotter temp. on your bike----is probably do, to your oil, and not having Engine Ice. 

I personally believe the Honda CBR 600rr designed the fan to go on at 220 degrees only to meet or
exceed Government requirements, for emissions.  By running the bike hotter, same as a Corvette, it
can an does meet the Gov. emissions test. 

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
One last thing----

You stated:
Recommended engine oil: Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybdenum additives). 4 stroke oil or Honda 4 stroke oil or an equivalent motorcycle oil.

Or an equivalent motorcycle oil-----trying to match the Honda GN4---I feel will be difficult---
I feel the only equivalent is the same, I personally don't think you will find Better----and for $3.95 why
waste your time.

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
The discussion isn't about the freakin' fan...the discussion from me is staying true to the title of this thread...you claimed the dealer put in a "non-Honda" motor oil which made your bike run hotter and I said "bull hockey..." That's about it...right? In your fifth reply, you brought in this whole fan thing, which I agree...it should come on sooner...but I'm still on ambient temperature and motor oil and your on to the fan now, which I think is a topic of another one of your threads you started...

Your hotter temp. on your bike----is probably do, to your oil, and not having Engine Ice.

So you assume I don't use that.................you're half right?

You and others have already mentioned here (or in another thread) that using Engine Ice didn't make a difference and that isn't the first time I've heard that either...here's your very own quote:

I use the Engine Ice...however on the Honda CBR, I have not noticed much of a difference.

but I do use Honda brand GN4 oil changed every 3,000 miles or before...I'm due for a coolant flush, but the 80 degree and above temperatures lately in Michigan are the culprit for my higher than usual running temps. In the winter (yes, I ride all year round) my idle temp is somewhere near 180 at the most.

My dealer said not many people can get more then 20,000 miles on a CBR----

That's because the average sport bike rider wads their bike up within the first year of riding, not because of high engine temperatures...but that shows you're very focused on making a point...

One last thing----

You stated:

I typed it, but that's a direct quote from the '03-'04 Honda CBR600rr service manual...

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
Cool Down----

Life is to short,

The fan is related to cooling the engine, I feel it is all related. 

The CBR 600rr goes about 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds, and 0 to 100 in 6.8 seconds--

When going those speeds----WE MUST STAY COOL

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
Cool Down----

Life is to short,

LOL, I enjoy a good debate...I'm not upset or worked up and I agree with the need to stay cool, but you wrote the oil was responsible for the higher temps and I called bullshit...Is that all you have to write in response to my last reply..."cool down...life is short...the fan IS related...it needs to stay cool cause the bike is fast?"  ???

yellowcar

• FREAK Member
I'm location outside of Chicago---
On my 2006 orange cbr, I have 4,000 miles, I must go riding, because I must have 10,000 miles on by this
summer.  I just don't have time to debate ----I have spent my life fighting----
now it is time to ride. 

God Bless----be safe, and stay cool (and keep your engine cool)