Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Race Report #8 - Blackhawk Farms 8/19-20  (Read 4508 times)

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

welldrilleRR

• CBR600RR.com Racer
Re: Race Report #8 - Blackhawk Farms 8/19-20
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:13:05 PM »
Congrats, Jeff. The track was night and day different from July. I too ran a best time of 1:15.9 with consistant 1:16s. Thanks for your imput on gear selection, one less thing to worry about on the track. Looks like you are busy all weekend helping others out, how do you stay focused on your races? Thanks also for stepping up and starting the red flag fund.
07' rr (race) #71 CCS Thank you sponsors: Sam's well drilling, Lithium Motorsports, Michelin, Rush Motorsports

03' rr (street)

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:22:21 AM »
Wow Jeff, it's amazing how simply changing a few settings on the suspension can dramatically change the feel of the bike! Excellent job this go around buddy!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Johnny P

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • 44 Right!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:45:35 AM »
I don't mean to bust your chops, but 250' is pretty much the entire braking area (or more) into turn 1!

Unless those pads are so good you don't have to use them! 8)

Good job on the weekend, looks like I picked a bad one to sit out, oh well.  I am really happy that you reached your goal of 12's and have the confidence to keep going even faster. The last weeknd there should be even better (Can you believe I have to sit out because of Kawasaki! :-X)

Maybe those pads have something to do with how Rob got so much quicker this year?   ???

I look forward to Auto Bahn, should be a good weekend.
CCS Midewest Expert #57
04 CBR600RR (Race)
03 Ducati 999
06 Suzuki RMZ250
05 Yama ha ha ZUMA!

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:52:18 AM »
Yeah, you're right.  250' is probably a big stretch.  I'm braking on the other (far) side of the #4 marker now and can still brake later.

Can pads make a difference in lap times?  I didn't believe so until I tried these...  Is it accountable for the entire drop?  Certainly not, but it definitely plays a part.

Johnny P

• CBR600RR.com Racer
  • 44 Right!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:15:08 AM »
I think the change may have set forth a chain of events that could have helped a great deal, i.e.

Braking so much later = changing your lines and forcing suspension changes you never really knew you needed.

I think you summed it up in your report when you said racing shouldn't be comfortable and I think you may have just crossed that line (I am not there yet and I am not sure if I have the energy to be).

When Ed sets up a bike that's what he goes off (limit riding)(besides the basics of course).  I know I am not getting the most from Ed because my skills do not push the limit he is used to tunning to (beyond basic sag and such).  Maybe I am way off, but it seems like a lot of this came together for you this weekend and it may have started with the pads. ???
CCS Midewest Expert #57
04 CBR600RR (Race)
03 Ducati 999
06 Suzuki RMZ250
05 Yama ha ha ZUMA!

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »
It started with the realization on Saturday that the bike should not require as much energy from me as it did to ride.  I focused in on the brakes because that was the most obvious piece.  From there, it all came together and made sense.

I guess the bottom line is to not be complacent about setup.  I took it for granted that my sag would not change...  Big mistake.

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
Reading that makes me even more pissed at my self  ::).  You have a break-thru weekend  :thumb:, I have a "breaking weekend"  :P

Good read... You're the third person this year that has said the SBS's were the best they'd ever used.  I'll have to give them a try next year, I just threw on a set of C44's the week before.
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

Sindarin

• Expert Spectator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 02:51:22 PM »
Great report Jeff!  :thumb:

Just one minor gripe, "...Mike spent the evening putting them in." Give me a little credit, it didn't take me THAT long to put the front pads in.  :P

Here are some of the pictures I took.
http://slowsvt.com/bhf81906/

Sorry its taken so long to get them up. I don't have an internet connection at home anymore so I had to get a friend to upload them. There are more pictures, I'll update when my friend gets them uploaded.

Also congrats to Greg for his second place finish in Super Twins.  ;D
'09 KTM 690 SMC

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 02:55:49 PM »
LOL....  you're right.  it just came out of my fingers into the laptop that way. LOL...  sorry dude!

G-reg

• CBR600RR.com Racer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 11:24:53 AM »
Thanks mike!

Great pictures once again.. and brownies too.   8)
--Greg