Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Top Speed for a CBR600RR Stock ?  (Read 177925 times)

spdklls

• Newbies
Top Speed for a CBR600RR Stock ?
« on: March 17, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »
Yes it was stupid, yes stupid hurts and yes we can all be morons now and then. Now that that's over let's get on with it...

I've had several people gawk in disbelief, shun me (not Honda owners so who cares?), and even make attempts to justify themselves by telling me how fast their litter (1000CC) or other branded 600 hits topspeed...

So the Q ? Riding out to play paint ball on a nice open road with a huge 10 miles or so straight I hit 155 on my '05 CBR 600 RR and I was only at 12k RPM. Now everyone has told me the top speed of this bike was like 145 or 150 and of course they don't own one.

So I was curious, on a stock CBR600RR, what is the top speed ?
NESBA B #12
TPM White #12

arsouille

Re: Top Speed for a CBR600RR Stock ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »
I saw in a magazine 165 mph ....
2005 CBR600RR black tribal

Body Check

• Who moved my cheese?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 02:07:26 PM »
I have hit 154MPH on mine.   Maybe it still had a bit more speed left, but not much more.  
The problem is that the speedometer reads high.  If it is 5% high, then actual speed was 146MPH.

I saw somewhere that the bike is rated to go 160MPH.  Based on my experience and a little math, I doubt that a CBR600RR can go that fast.  The top speed must be between 150 and 160 MPH.

The question is:  Isn't that fast enough?

The Loma Prieta quake of 1989 wasn't even a wake up call, it was more like a snooze alarm.  San Francisco sits on a time bomb.  When the mega-disaster earthquake hits, the city will be in ruins.  

-History Channel, "San Francisco Earthquake" (2006)

Endless

• Endless's very own group
  • Cold Chillin'
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:00:40 PM »
I've only reached 138 and had to stop due my helmet bouncing up and down. (too loose)  I've yet to reach 155, and i doubt i ever will.  BTW, there's no damn way litter can beat my bike.  :P :P 
Machines own the straights.  Riders own the corners.

Ozjack

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 05:26:23 PM »
A good race bike will top out at around 265 on the straight at Phillip Island, the stock bike`s speedo is out by some percentage and will struggle to reacha genuine 260 unless theres a tail wind!! In reality its geared for around 162mph, but you need to spend some time with the throttle fully open in top gear to get there.
Funny question for someone who`s user name is SPDKLLS ??? :-[

spdklls

• Newbies
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 11:45:29 PM »
Eh, SPDKLLS is my license plate too...

I was just curious really. I see all the Pro bikes hitting 180's on straights but they are also modified. Not sure what the stock pro bikes are doing.

Is it fast enough ? For the street yes, for the track not even close. I guess I'll be investing in some sprockets come this summer.

Thanks for all the feedback !
NESBA B #12
TPM White #12

cycledrum

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 11:54:30 PM »
In reality, top speed might vary a bit.  Do you have a headwind or tailwind?  All those things play into it.  Even tire condition, bike maintenance will likely make a difference.

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 12:55:03 AM »
Is it fast enough ? For the street yes, for the track not even close. I guess I'll be investing in some sprockets come this summer.

Most tracks in my area, you'll never get to the rev limiter in 6th gear because the straights aren't long enough and if you gear for speed then you're going to loose acceleration, and you need that acceleration to be fast in the turns...exactly where you'll kick a lot of 1000cc bike's asses...top speed doesn't mean much at many tracks.
"There but for the grace of God go I"

spdklls

• Newbies
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 08:55:03 AM »
Tailwind or Headwind ? Honestly I doubt I have enough experience to even notice on a bike. So what is tailwind and headwind exactly ?

Amen to the "out of the corner speed" over "topspeed". I love seeing the litter (litre) bikes get frustrated seeing a 600 pass them coming out of a turn.

No offense to the 1000+cc riders out there, I doubt I'd ever ride a litre bike on the track. I call them litter bikes typically because they are usually the guys crashing at track days.

I can see now this is going to be tons of fun.

spdklls
NESBA B #12
TPM White #12

cobes

• FREAK Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 09:22:41 AM »
Yeah if I were you I wouldn't gear for more top speed you just don't use it or need it.  I have a 15/45 now on mine and used to have a 15/43 which is just one down in the front from stock. 

So basically what I'm saying is get used to the stock gearing and then change accordingly when you have a goal in mind such as more acceleration on the track, street etc but I really wouldn't suggest going for more top end. 

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 09:24:41 AM »
I doubt I'd ever ride a litre bike on the track. I call them litter bikes typically because they are usually the guys crashing at track days.

LOL...I was going to say something about that spelling! Good one! :P

Zagan

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 09:51:54 AM »
I've done this a few times.

2004 600RR completely stock, done this on dunlop 208s on the highway.

255KPH, or 158MPH

That's at 14,000rpm in 6th gear, so you could get 260KPH maybe another 5 KPH for a top speed of 265KPH at 15,000rpm in 6th gear.

The above speed really comes down to what the ecu has been programmed at I don't have a powercommander but I would expect it to add a tiny bit of speed seeing as the map should be all smoothed out for a nice run.

Last run I went up to 240KPH on Pilot powers, but I think the ecu map has been played around with for a higher mid range rather than top speed (I've had it serviced about a month ago), as the bike wasn't pulling much after that speed.

So from my runs I'd say 160MPH would be right, the other brands can go faster than the Honda.

the highest speed I've heard for the zx-6R is 300-310KPH (apprantly had another 1,000 or so rpm before red line) before the guy slowed up then got pulled over and dragged off the bike by 5 cops.

mustangzgt

• Newbies
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »
Hitting the rev limiter in to gear I've hit 168mph.  That was on a day with no wind going slightly downhill.
Learning through trial and error

Seth-ZA

• Newbies
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 10:38:58 AM »
Zagan is having us play "spot the fact"? Very well then.

- With the stock 16/42 sprocket configuration, the CBR tops out at 175mi/h (282km/h) @ 15000rpm in 6th gear, although probably not, due to Honda overgearing it.
- The make and model of your tyres have no influence on acceleration or top speed whatsoever, provided you keep the dimensions standard (180/55 17inch).
- If you don't have a Power Commander your ECU "map" should still be according to factory specifications. A Power Commander is a device for changing the air/fuel mapping and ignition timing. I doubt you'll find many people modifying the ECU without one as it is basically unadjustable, except for the factory's engineers.
- Any top speed difference you noticed was definitely not because of different tyres/ECU maps, but might be something such as wind or change in incline.
- The theoretical top speed is determined by a couple of factors: frontal area, drag coefficient, power output and total mass. The actual top speed will then be affected by things such as tyre circumference, gearing, etc. The ZX-6R is definitely an aerodynamically superior bike to the CBR600RR, but not to such a dramatic extent. There is no chance that Kawasaki will gear the 636 for 320km/h in 6th, I call bullshit on that.

I've seen an indicated 270km/h with the standard gearing at an altitude of approximately 1200m above sea level. The bike was 100% stock. After dropping a teeth on the front sprocket and adding two on the rear I can now easily reach redline in 6th at an indicated 282km/h.

On a final note: http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php/topic,14092.0.html -- That's what you look like after coming off at that kind of speed. Please do not test your motorcycle's topend on public roads, my runs were done on an airstrip.

EDIT: I guess I should've noted that this information applies to my CBR, 2004 model, UK version.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:53:53 AM by Seth-ZA »

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 11:20:12 AM »
- The make and model of your tyres have no influence on acceleration or top speed whatsoever

They may not affect top speed, but they WILL affect acceleration...