Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: '06 Suspension setup  (Read 8590 times)

mustangzgt

• Newbies
'06 Suspension setup
« on: March 16, 2006, 12:58:01 AM »
Hey guys I am having a problem with my suspension settings.  I have a 06 CBR600RR with a lowering link (all the way down), dropped forks by 3 lines, weigh 145lbs and am 5' 6".  The bike feels a little sloppy and unstable at high speed.  Any suggestions on settings?
Learning through trial and error

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
Re: '06 Suspension setup
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 04:00:57 AM »
First off, there's girls shorter than you (5' 4") that ride the RR without any difficulty, so my first suggestion is to scrap the lowering link and put the suspension back to the stock settings, then go from there...you've damn near killed your RR!

Melissa (Ickysticky13 5'4" and weighs less than you):

Here she is propping up a Duc:

She never lowered her bike...
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »
Hey guys I am having a problem with my suspension settings.  I have a 06 CBR600RR with a lowering link (all the way down), dropped forks by 3 lines, weigh 145lbs and am 5' 6".  The bike feels a little sloppy and unstable at high speed.  Any suggestions on settings?

Everything you wrote before the last 2 sentences is what's wrong with the bike...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

BlackNumberOne

• FREAK Member
  • 1.21 Gigawatts of power
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 09:59:42 AM »
Everything you wrote before the last 2 sentences is what's wrong with the bike...
HA HA HA!!!!! I was laughin' out loud at my work.... dang! so funny  :P 8)
you can trust me. I don't even have a mustache.

mustangzgt

• Newbies
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 11:31:15 AM »
If there is someone shorter than me who can touch at a stoplight I am amazed.  That was the only reason that I put it on, that and the fact that my salesman pushed it on me, guess he just wanted to sell some parts...  Dang, ok well how do I put it back to stock hight and still be able to stop?

WhiskeyRR

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »
Dang, ok well how do I put it back to stock hight and still be able to stop?

Grow about 6 inches :P :P :(

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
1.  That salesman is an absolute idiot.  Stay away from him/her at all costs.
2.  Did you get the original parts back?  If so, take them to a reputable shop and have the work done since it does not sound like you can do it yourself.

If you don't have the original parts, you need to contact that dealer and get them back.

As for stopping and touching the ground, get USED to stopping with teh front brake.  Slide yourself off the left side of the bike and use the left leg to hold the bike up.

My 11 year old son has been riding a CRF-150 for 2 years now and has NEVER been able to firmly put a foot down, but he can still manage.  It's just a matter of adapting to it.

Lowering links are not the answer though.  They result in altered geometry, poor handling and reduced ground clearance.
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 01:34:15 PM »
I'm 5'6, have been riding my RR since 03, no issues here.  I've dropped it once due to the bike rolling back while i was parking and i couldn't get my footing, other than that, no other issues.  Do what Jeff said, the bike will feel MUCH better.   Some tips:  When stopped at a light, keep the right foot on the rear brake to refrain from moving, and scoot your butt to the left side, so your right ass cheek should be the only cheek on the seat, then use your left foot to hold you and the bike up.  BTW, how many miles do you have on your RR?
Machines own the straights.  Riders own the corners.

mustangzgt

• Newbies
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 11:24:25 PM »
A buddy and I are going to put it back to factory tomorrow.  I have 1550mi on the clock

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
A buddy and I are going to put it back to factory tomorrow.  I have 1550mi on the clock

Ride some more, get used to the bike.  Once you remove the dogbone and feel unsafe on the bike, put it back on, but i suggest to ride for a few thou miles and TRY to get used to the normal height...be safe!

mustangzgt

• Newbies
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 03:25:42 AM »
Alright, the stock dogbone is back on and the forks are where they belong.  It doesnt sit that high now that the suspension is settled, backing up is a problem oh well more fun forewards.  OMG it rides so much better, so thats what it was meant to feel like... I LOVE IT!!!

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 09:01:49 AM »
Alright, the stock dogbone is back on and the forks are where they belong.  It doesnt sit that high now that the suspension is settled, backing up is a problem oh well more fun forewards.  OMG it rides so much better, so thats what it was meant to feel like... I LOVE IT!!!

That's great, now comes some real riding!!!

As far as backing up, just get off the bike and push her...I never paddle backwards because I think people look silly when they do it...just watch someone do it...you'll see.
"There but for the grace of God go I"

mustangzgt

• Newbies
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 01:24:35 AM »
Thanks for showing me the way guys I wouldve just kept riding it like that thinking it was something wrong with Honda.  Signing up at this forum was a very good idea as I'm sure I will have a couple more crazy questions later that I will probably need to be set streight on.  Yeah I think I will get off and push from now on cuz I almost dropped her today.

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 11:18:30 AM »
Thanks for showing me the way guys I wouldve just kept riding it like that thinking it was something wrong with Honda.  Signing up at this forum was a very good idea as I'm sure I will have a couple more crazy questions later that I will probably need to be set streight on.  Yeah I think I will get off and push from now on cuz I almost dropped her today.

LOL!  Be careful dude!  Instead of back peddaling, just spin the bike on the stand.  Much easier, looks cooler, and if you drop the bike, at least it'll be safe since it would land on you.  :P  j/k, but yeah, i do this all the time vice back peddaling, much easier.  Im sure someone can explain this for you, surprisingly, i have work to do today.   8) 

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 02:49:40 PM »
Ok, here's what you do.  You grab the left handle bar with your LEFT hand, then you use your RIGHT hand and grab onto the RIGHT passenger peg.  Then, lift the bike up and once the 2 tires are off the ground, slowly/carefully spin the bike around.  It'll be scary at first but after a few times it's a cinch.  If you want to be super careful, put the bike on a matress, just in case.   8)  Trust me, the girls dig this move. :P