Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: noobs and the RR  (Read 64356 times)

black_knight_600rr

• Newbies
Re: noobs and the RR
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 12:59:11 AM »
the o4 600rr was my vary first motor bike  i got it when i was 21 ( a year ago )  befor that i was on a dirtbike for 3 days  and when i got it  i didnt just go blasting the throttle  i was actully quite scard  and the more i developed  the more i twisted the throttle ...... every one i knew was ( and still is ) "squids"

i read sport rider to get tips and learn this and that  i think i have turned out to be a fine rider  i have had 2  get offs  my first comming 4months  after i got my bike , a tahoe pulled out infront of me and  if i had one more inche i would have missed her compleetly ( damn stock  turnsignals )

i wasnt flying  just just waited till i got 30 feet from her and though she could make it ,  the next one came  in the beginning of spring  ( lots of gravle on the road )  it was a 15 mph dump  on the back road by my house  , no real biggie

i do agree NO  one should have a 1k as their first bike  , for example my bro who has been on a dirt bike for ever  wants to get an r1 , well he is 18 and iam like wtf  why do you want or need one ?  and he is like well i would wrather have the power and not need it then to need it and not have it

and iam like on the street were would you need the 1k power ?   let me tell you guys i have had this 600rr for a year and  still have alot of growing  to do  i have no need for a 1k.... i took the o5 1k out in about i think  it was july

and i was pretty folkin scard  to tell ya the truth  the salesman   just cracked it and took off ,  i was in 1st and gave her some more throttle  and wtf 100mph  in first  and then i was like ok well back off  this is silly , so i backed down to about 65 ish  and  i will tell ya i loved the feel of the 1k it had a cruising feel   a good commuter bike feel to it ( its ergo's)  felt better then my 6 ....

if i did get one  i would keep it on stands in my house and deck it out  with cool stuff and use it on friday nights or somthing

but from experience  600's are fun   it has all the balls i would ever want  ...  its not that some one cant handle it , its just kids my age , me in cluded  dont use their heads at all  they just wanna bang bang bang the throttle....

i wont lie to you all their is a section of road i call " the track"  and in the summer i do the " moto gp" on it  do i fly 100 mph .. yeah in the straights i MIGHT get their  but iam super cautions  i just go and ride and have a good time  if i get a bad feeling i back it down  way down and drive normal  , i put all my gear on

2pc helmet gloves a* boots   and iam not trying to beat any records or be  hayeden  i just go and hit some curves  be cautions  i want to have a good time and be safe at the same time .... its a win win ...

i DONT  fly all over and rip sick wheelies  ( i can only do 1st gear ones any way so )  or do stand up tricks   i 99.9 percet of the time commute to work  and  my bike is already put away for the winter ....  this summer i was a lazy  only taking my bike out about 9 times the whole summer .... iam just loosing intrest in it

well thats my .2  thanks alot

JC --

FerretRGD

• Newbies
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 01:27:42 AM »
If you ride like you spell Im scared for you.  ??? 8)

-g

Ozjack

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 02:51:30 AM »

No one can tell you what type of bike to buy, there is no law that says a noob cant buy a liter bike, nor a 600. -g
In Australia, where I live, it is a law that states the first 15 months(minimum!!-could be up to 22 months!!!) from getting your licence must be on a bike no more than 250cc.
There must be some reasoning behind this??
The numbers had to be there(deaths, injuries etc..) before they passed this law ???
Also, you HAVE to pass both a learner(easy) AND probationary( a bit harder!!) test before they even let you on that 250.
In the US it is up to the individual to decide what is right for them, whether they do training or start off small or not.
Maybe noobs can take advice from my country`s laws???

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 03:34:50 AM »
Ferret, I've never once written to get a smaller bike, just not an "R" bike as a starter bike...

i learned how to ride on an 02 f4i, which is almost as bad as the RR.

You're right..."ALMOST as bad..."

The geometry of "R" bikes make them less forgiving if you give them the wrong input...and who is most likely to give the bike the wrong input...newbies! I'm not trying to insult F4i owners, but there are some pretty big differences...

the o4 600rr was my vary first motor bike i got it when i was 21 ( a year ago ) befor that i was on a dirtbike for 3 days and when i got it i didnt just go blasting the throttle i was actully quite scard and the more i developed the more i twisted the throttle ...... every one i knew was ( and still is ) "squids"

i read sport rider to get tips and learn this and that i think i have turned out to be a fine rider i have had 2 get offs my first comming 4months after i got my bike , a tahoe pulled out infront of me and if i had one more inche i would have missed her compleetly ( damn stock turnsignals )

i wasnt flying just just waited till i got 30 feet from her and though she could make it , the next one came in the beginning of spring ( lots of gravle on the road ) it was a 15 mph dump on the back road by my house , no real biggie

i do agree NO one should have a 1k as their first bike , for example my bro who has been on a dirt bike for ever wants to get an r1 , well he is 18 and iam like wtf why do you want or need one ? and he is like well i would wrather have the power and not need it then to need it and not have it

and iam like on the street were would you need the 1k power ? let me tell you guys i have had this 600rr for a year and still have alot of growing to do i have no need for a 1k.... i took the o5 1k out in about i think it was july

and i was pretty folkin scard to tell ya the truth the salesman just cracked it and took off , i was in 1st and gave her some more throttle and wtf 100mph in first and then i was like ok well back off this is silly , so i backed down to about 65 ish and i will tell ya i loved the feel of the 1k it had a cruising feel a good commuter bike feel to it ( its ergo's) felt better then my 6 ....

if i did get one i would keep it on stands in my house and deck it out with cool stuff and use it on friday nights or somthing

but from experience 600's are fun it has all the balls i would ever want ... its not that some one cant handle it , its just kids my age , me in cluded dont use their heads at all they just wanna bang bang bang the throttle....

i wont lie to you all their is a section of road i call " the track" and in the summer i do the " moto gp" on it do i fly 100 mph .. yeah in the straights i MIGHT get their but iam super cautions i just go and ride and have a good time if i get a bad feeling i back it down way down and drive normal , i put all my gear on

2pc helmet gloves a* boots and iam not trying to beat any records or be hayeden i just go and hit some curves be cautions i want to have a good time and be safe at the same time .... its a win win ...

i DONT fly all over and rip sick wheelies ( i can only do 1st gear ones any way so ) or do stand up tricks i 99.9 percet of the time commute to work and my bike is already put away for the winter .... this summer i was a lazy only taking my bike out about 9 times the whole summer .... iam just loosing intrest in it

well thats my .2 thanks alot

Just stop...please! Stop writing shit like this...it has one contradiction after the other. I appreciate your input, but please stop!!!
"There but for the grace of God go I"

RandomJointer

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 05:48:16 AM »
In Australia, where I live, it is a law that states the first 15 months(minimum!!-could be up to 22 months!!!) from getting your licence must be on a bike no more than 250cc.
There must be some reasoning behind this??
The numbers had to be there(deaths, injuries etc..) before they passed this law ???
Also, you HAVE to pass both a learner(easy) AND probationary( a bit harder!!) test before they even let you on that 250.
In the US it is up to the individual to decide what is right for them, whether they do training or start off small or not.
Maybe noobs can take advice from my country`s laws???

In Blighty, the laws are even stricter than Aus. First you have to do a course on understanding flow charts :) Then you've got 2 practical tests and 1 theory. Then under 21's are restricted to bikes with less than 33hp for 2 years.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:50:53 AM by RandomJointer »

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 08:40:44 AM »
I was a noob and still am, one thing that sticks in my head whenever i ride that a fellow member always tells us is, "Don't ever give up on the bike."   :thumb:
Machines own the straights.  Riders own the corners.

Ad-Man

• Meow, Motherfucka!
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 09:41:47 AM »
Start small.  I've got over ten years experience and a whole lot of miles and still catch myself doing stupid stuff on the RR because I know it's capable.   :spank:  This is things like excessive accelleration, turning, speeding (not so much), things that really are not as possible on a smaller displacement bike with more of a "sit up and beg" seating style.  I catch myself because experience tells me "you're a fucking idiot for doing that."  A noob lacks this.  Sorry that's just the way it works.
BTW- Black Knight, what language was that?
I'd do it, but I threw my back out humping your Mom last night.  Neege.

rjh200

• FREAK Member
  • I'm Addicted
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 10:07:59 AM »
Ok, seeing as how I am a noob, I figure its worth it to give you all my 2 cents.

I get what each of the groups are trying to say, you DO have less of a chance, how ever mi-nute it might be, of crashing if you are a mature individual. If you realize what you can do and can not do, and what is safe. On the other side of the spectrum however, when other people look at you, in most cases they DONT know you, so they cant tell how mature you are. So their safest answer is to tell you to start small and work your way up. Which in most cases, is the right decision.

As for the aspects of the bike. I think that most who have ridden both would agree that a 250 is more forgiving and easier to ride than a full blown 600 racing bike (cbr600rr). In most people's mind however, they do not want to wait. Patience is one of the hardest things that a man can learn.

The experienced riders on this board have seen too many accidents and too many young kids try to squeeze in months what took them years to learn. They can not sit by idely and say nothing to someone thinking about getting a bike like that as their first bike. Maybe if they KNEW the person, had known them for years, knew how mature they were and what they would be likely to do, then they could perhaps suggest that the person would be fine on a 600. But its unlikely.

I AM a 17 year old pimply faced kid with a raging hard on for the Honda CBR600RR. And in my own mind I can convince myself all I want that it would be a fine bike for me to start on. There are many back roads around my house and miles of empty streets that I could learn on. But I still want to learn on a 2000$ 250. I do not want to be scared and intimidated by a 600cc engine under my balls. I feel that once I get on the populated streets, I would be much more comfortable on a 250. And when I lay in down in my driveway because Im a noob dumbass, I wont go crying because my new black/tribal paint scheme is ruined.

No one can tell you what type of bike to buy, there is no law that says a noob cant buy a liter bike, nor a 600. But the riders who have done this for most of they're lives can tell you what they think is and is not a good idea. And I dont know about you, but Im going to listen to them.

-g

THis is probably the best post I have ever seen by a person of any age wanting to get into motorcycling.  My goes off to you. 

I must contradict something you wrote though.  I have persuaded many mature and level headed people that I have known for years away from full out sport bikes as their first bikes.  I knew that they would be mature and responsible riders but my reasoning was not only for the safety factor, but also that in the long run it will make you an overall better rider.  Learning all the nuances of riding on a smaller bike, learning how to hold a higher corner speed because you can't accelerate as fast out of corners, learning the art of braking points and pressures, lean angles without a 100hp at rear wheel to spin up ans spit you out.  THere are very many factors that a less aggressive bike like a EX500 can help a new rider or even an experienced one. 
Bring on the squids, I need part for my bike.

Tibbett

• FREAK Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 03:44:32 PM »
Let me point out the important parts here for everyone..

if i did get one  i would keep it on stands in my house and deck it out  with cool stuff and use it on friday nights or somthing

i wont lie to you all their is a section of road i call " the track"  and in the summer i do the " moto gp" on it  do i fly 100 mph .. yeah in the straights i MIGHT get their  but iam super cautions  i just go and ride and have a good time  if i get a bad feeling i back it down  way down and drive normal  , i put all my gear on

2pc helmet gloves a* boots   and iam not trying to beat any records or be  hayeden  i just go and hit some curves  be cautions  i want to have a good time and be safe at the same time .... its a win win ...

i DONT  fly all over and rip sick wheelies  ( i can only do 1st gear ones any way so )  or do stand up tricks   i 99.9 percet of the time commute to work  and  my bike is already put away for the winter ....  this summer i was a lazy  only taking my bike out about 9 times the whole summer .... iam just loosing intrest in it

If you look at the bolded portions..it sums up alot of things. One more thing I might mention, though I know alot of us do it, myself included sometimes. The street is NOT safe by any means..hitting twisties out here on the streets means we have to deal with cars, semis, animals, and gravel...not to mention ill maintained streets. Also +1 for rjh200's post..a smaller displacement bike will help you learn more about actually riding rather than just controlling the damned machine.
I wasn't speeding..you were just going too slow.

'07 Yamaha R6

Angelo1

• FREAK Member
  • Rick James Bitch! Enjoy yourself!!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 03:47:37 PM »
Why is there a should a get a rr as my first bike thread every week? There is a search button. The only question that gets asked more is what exhaust should i get.  One of these threads should be in the F.A.Q. section.
AnGeLO 05 red RR
Arata Ti Slip-on
short stalk V's
fender eliminator
rear seat cowl

Tibbett

• FREAK Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 03:52:19 PM »
That's actually why we're TRYING to keep this one on track and not get wandering off into some unknown direction (aka keep Endless away from here.. 8) :P) Just kidding..but anyway..we do need to have one posted for good measure.
I wasn't speeding..you were just going too slow.

'07 Yamaha R6

Zagan

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »
The whole 250 600 1000cc bike in stages thing comes from the old school of riding, where the sales guy gives you a 5min run down of whats what and your left to ride it home from the shop.

These days you can get training before you even hop on a bike so you have some general control over a bike and don't crash it straight away.

I got a 600RR as my first bike and I havn't had any major problems.

In Australia there are different laws for each state and while in QLD, NSW, VIC, WA, SA, all say you must start on a 250cc bike and stay on it for a year you can do training to get to an open bike lic faster, in canabra and NT your lerner's lic allows you to ride anything up to a 750cc bike for a year, and in NSW the laws are chaging so you can start on a 500cc bike but it must be on a list.

so it's not quite a strict law in which you can't fast track lic's etc.

The only major problem with a bike is due to the speed they can get to, my 600RR will do 120kph in 1st but only if you wind out to the full RPM range the speed though at which it can get to 120kph is a matter of seconds and people who havn't been on a bike before get caught out by that one point.

The only people who I've came across who trash talk bikes and people riding them are bikers themselves, had one guy sitting there saying to me I won't live till the end of the year and saying that I can't ride a bike properly and other BS I had been riding for the last 6+ months and this is a guy who owns a couple bikes and been riding for a few years.

JQrr

• FREAK Member
  • Do not disturb...
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 09:59:04 AM »
The only people who I've came across who trash talk bikes and people riding them are bikers themselves, had one guy sitting there saying to me I won't live till the end of the year and saying that I can't ride a bike properly and other BS I had been riding for the last 6+ months and this is a guy who owns a couple bikes and been riding for a few years.

OOOh...  A whole 6 months!  You must be an expert. ::)  No offense, but from your other posts, it seems like you do not know much about bikes and riding bikes.  I think I see why that guy was giving you shit.  You come off as a know-it-all type of guy for someone that's been riding only "6+ months".  (I remember you giving advice and shit on other threads)  I'm sorry, but when that dude said you won't last til the end of the year, although he might just be an asshole, he's not completely wrong.  Someone on a bike, even worse a sportbike, with your type of mentality usually get into trouble within the first year.  I've only been riding for about a year and a half now.  That's more than double your riding time.  I consider myself a good rider (safe, proper, and able to hold my own at the twisties) but I admit I don't know much about motorcycling yet.  I know there are much more for me to learn and experience.  But, that's why we're here in this site, right?  I've learned so much on this forum already. :thumb:
You don't know what you don't know until you KNOW what you don't know............  WHAT??

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »
OOOh... A whole 6 months! You must be an expert. ::) No offense, but from your other posts, it seems like you do not know much about bikes and riding bikes. I think I see why that guy was giving you shit. You come off as a know-it-all type of guy for someone that's been riding only "6+ months". (I remember you giving advice and shit on other threads) I'm sorry

Like I said in another thread, he gives out some pretty strange advice...
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Endless

• Cold Chillin'
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2005, 10:36:12 AM »
I've never had anyone down talk me about my riding abilities, not that i give them a reason to, but if someone were to say something like that to me (About not lasting the end of the year) i'd be pretty insulted, especially if they've no clue on how i ride.  And JQ and Fret, i don't think Zagan was bragging that he has been riding for 6 months, if he is, then he's dumb, but i think he was just saying that just to, not because he's got Rossi like skills.
Machines own the straights.  Riders own the corners.