Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: noobs and the RR  (Read 65496 times)

QuicK

• I'm a llama!
noobs and the RR
« on: October 12, 2005, 05:34:55 PM »
I hear about all kinds of accidents involving a variety motorcyclists.  These accidents involved all kinds of bikes, different skill levels and the injuries varied too.  I mean from little pocket bikes to goldwings, from kids to senior citizens, noobs to veterans, broken feet and collarbones to fatalities.  Accidents have happened to the best and the worst of us so why discourage newbs?  Why not give them info and experiences to help them no matter what bike they choose.  The RR can't be the the bike from hell for all newbs because it was the first bike for quite a few of us on just this forum alone.

My question is: Since when did the style of bike and engine displacement determine a riders fate?  Same with experience levels.  I mean any of us could be victims at anytime or place while riding.

Tibbett

• FREAK Member
Re: noobs and the RR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 05:42:12 PM »
It's maturity level for alot of them...I don't want a brand new rider on a Gix1k behind me in a group..their non experienced ass can stay infront of me. It gets down to what we've been through..knowing how to react, what the bike can do, what you can get away with with the bike, and what the environment around you will allow. It's like the first time you race..you have no idea really what the good lines are for a new track until you follow someone who is seasoned..then you start developing your own braking points and riding technique for said track using those 'fast' lines as a general line and finding what works for you from there.
I wasn't speeding..you were just going too slow.

'07 Yamaha R6

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:24:07 PM »
My question is: Since when did the style of bike and engine displacement determine a riders fate? Same with experience levels. I mean any of us could be victims at anytime or place while riding.

If you paid attention to any of my replies in these "RR as a first bike" threads, you'd know that I think that any "R" bike is a poor choice for a starter bike...you'd also know that it's not the engine displacement (style is closer)...it's the rake and trail, mixed with the power that makes "R" bikes very unforgiving bikes, even for advanced riders.

I'll never try to discourage a new rider from getting a motorcycle, but I will to my dying day try to discourage a new rider from getting the wrong bike, or a bike that increases his chances of getting injured as a new rider. ...
"There but for the grace of God go I"

Gunslinger

• FREAK Member
  • Moving at a high rate of noise.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:44:50 PM »
 Newbs should ride mopeds for the first 5 years.
"Smooth is fast. Concentrate on consistency of technique, deliberation of action, and economy of motion. The better get at these, the faster you become."

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Phil314

• Purple Throbbing
  • Warning: Rider may bail at any time!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 06:58:21 PM »
I hear about all kinds of accidents involving a variety motorcyclists.  These accidents involved all kinds of bikes, different skill levels and the injuries varied too.  I mean from little pocket bikes to goldwings, from kids to senior citizens, noobs to veterans, broken feet and collarbones to fatalities.  Accidents have happened to the best and the worst of us so why discourage newbs? 

No, most accidents happen to a much smaller percentage of very specific groups of people.

Why not give them info and experiences to help them no matter what bike they choose. 

Because sport bike usually attract young and imature people. Those people think they know it all and rarely listen to any good advice.

The RR can't be the the bike from hell for all newbs because it was the first bike for quite a few of us on just this forum alone.

You can be smart and start on the right bike or you can start on the wrong bike and hope you get lucky. Some people started on an RR and got lucky, some didn't. The question is do you WANT to be smart or HOPE you get lucky? Not that a pimply faced 18 yo with a raging hardon for an RR is going to let his brain decided.

My question is: Since when did the style of bike and engine displacement determine a riders fate?  Same with experience levels.  I mean any of us could be victims at anytime or place while riding.

All the time. Experience, skill and maturaty greatly affect your chance of an accident. Many people go 10 years between accidents. Those people ride BMW's & Goldwings. Some people crash 5 times a year. They are usually on sportbikes. If you really think there isn't a relationship between the type of bike and the person and the chance of an accident, then you are dreaming.

Plus the noobs are so fun to pick on, once again because they think they know it all already.

DaBeachBum

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 07:04:53 PM »

QuicK

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 07:05:06 PM »
Newbs should ride mopeds for the first 5 years.

:P

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 08:05:49 PM »
If this stays respectable and on topic, I'll probably send this topic to the "Important Threads/FAQ" section...
"There but for the grace of God go I"

DaBeachBum

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:37:25 PM »
Not that a pimply faced 18 yo with a raging hardon for an RR is going to let his brain decided.

Or a 28,38,48 year old for that matter...............................http://home.socal.rr.com/dougsebaypics/maytheforce.wav

majin ssj eric

• "What a wonderful smell you've discovered!"
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 08:52:17 PM »
I think whats going on in the rider's melon is 10 times more important than what is sitting in his garage.  True, there may be a correlation to the number of immature idiots and sportbikes out there, but at the end of the day a noob can either make the right decisions to stay upright or the wrong decisions to be permanently horizontal.  You can make an accident-causing misjudgement riding an EX250 just as easily as you can on an RR.  I started on a 93 F2 and have never been down (in over 10 years of riding) but I also realize that accidents are inevitable and do everything I can to limit the probability of getting into one.  If you ride smart and within your limits it doesn't really matter what you ride......
2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R (current)
2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R (retired)
2005 Honda CBR-600RR (retired)
1993 Honda CBR-600F2 (retired)

QuicK

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 09:16:51 PM »
Insurance companies group ages, makes and models together to get our rates no matter who we are.   And I'm sure most if not all of us resent this.  But a lot of us are doing it right now when we say that the RR isn't a bike for newbs.  My most trying times on my bike I experienced as a newb and i would have still experienced them on any other bike.  people pulling out in front of me, slamming on brakes in front of me, veering into my lane, not leaning enough in a turn, not using the coutersteering method when turning, target fixation. No matter what bike I was on I couldv'e paid deerly if I wasn't alert and I didn't exercise the techniques taught in classes, books and on forums like this one.  The RR has been great to me and other newbs.  Shouldn't it be case by case and not a blanket opinion?

Tibbett

• FREAK Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 09:36:48 PM »
As a general idea we try to steer people away from newer bikes as their first bike due to the reasons that have been stated over and over by various members, myself and Fret included. Cost is another issue, because the bike is new to the person and alot of times riding in general is new to the person..it'll be expensive to fix when they drop it..and it will go down. I watched a guy buy a brand new 636 and he dropped it three times in the parking lot..finally I couldn't stand it anymore and offered to ride it home for him. The guy said this was his first bike ever and that he didn't give a shit about it because it was 'Only a 600'..exact words. I tried to explain things to this guy, but he wouldn't listen for the life of me. Guess where he is now? Currently in the hospital in critical care because the bike that was 'only a 600' looped him without a helmet on...

'07 Yamaha R6

FerretRGD

• Newbies
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 09:50:49 PM »
Ok, seeing as how I am a noob, I figure its worth it to give you all my 2 cents.

I get what each of the groups are trying to say, you DO have less of a chance, how ever mi-nute it might be, of crashing if you are a mature individual. If you realize what you can do and can not do, and what is safe. On the other side of the spectrum however, when other people look at you, in most cases they DONT know you, so they cant tell how mature you are. So their safest answer is to tell you to start small and work your way up. Which in most cases, is the right decision.

As for the aspects of the bike. I think that most who have ridden both would agree that a 250 is more forgiving and easier to ride than a full blown 600 racing bike (cbr600rr). In most people's mind however, they do not want to wait. Patience is one of the hardest things that a man can learn.

The experienced riders on this board have seen too many accidents and too many young kids try to squeeze in months what took them years to learn. They can not sit by idely and say nothing to someone thinking about getting a bike like that as their first bike. Maybe if they KNEW the person, had known them for years, knew how mature they were and what they would be likely to do, then they could perhaps suggest that the person would be fine on a 600. But its unlikely.

I AM a 17 year old pimply faced kid with a raging hard on for the Honda CBR600RR. And in my own mind I can convince myself all I want that it would be a fine bike for me to start on. There are many back roads around my house and miles of empty streets that I could learn on. But I still want to learn on a 2000$ 250. I do not want to be scared and intimidated by a 600cc engine under my balls. I feel that once I get on the populated streets, I would be much more comfortable on a 250. And when I lay in down in my driveway because Im a noob dumbass, I wont go crying because my new black/tribal paint scheme is ruined.

No one can tell you what type of bike to buy, there is no law that says a noob cant buy a liter bike, nor a 600. But the riders who have done this for most of they're lives can tell you what they think is and is not a good idea. And I dont know about you, but Im going to listen to them.

-g

Tibbett

• FREAK Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 10:05:35 PM »
I AM a 17 year old pimply faced kid with a raging hard on for the Honda CBR600RR. And in my own mind I can convince myself all I want that it would be a fine bike for me to start on. There are many back roads around my house and miles of empty streets that I could learn on. But I still want to learn on a 2000$ 250. I do not want to be scared and intimidated by a 600cc engine under my balls. I feel that once I get on the populated streets, I would be much more comfortable on a 250. And when I lay in down in my driveway because Im a noob dumbass, I wont go crying because my new black/tribal paint scheme is ruined.

My respect for you has gone up quite a bit just from that paragraph. :thumb:

'07 Yamaha R6

laxrider04

• negative ghost rider the pattern is full
  • FREAK Member
  • hmmm...
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 11:50:12 PM »
My respect for you has gone up quite a bit just from that paragraph. :thumb:

+1

i learned how to ride on an 02 f4i, which is almost as bad as the RR.  just because it doesn't have an R in it's name doesn't mean it's not track ready.  I too am a pimply faced kid with a raging hardon for the RR, i just happen to be 19 instead of 17.  the way i see it, when honda comes out with the new 600rr in '07 i'll have enough experiance under my belt to handle one of these due to my basically having learned on a "baby RR".  i've actually gone so far as to talk one of my friends out of buying an R bike.  i've suggested FZR's, YZF's, SV's, f4's, etc.  but as ferretRGD has shown, just because we're pimply faced kid's doesn't mean we're ALL morons.  hell there are some 21 year olds that are clearly more retarded than we are
too close for missiles I'm switching to guns!