Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: For those interested in painting your bodywork * NOW WITH PICS *  (Read 11099 times)

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
JEFF PERHAPS YOU COULD PUT THIS IN THE FAQ.

the picture above shows about what the piece is that you need,except it is available as a drill attachment.  ask the local shop what it is, and how to use it.  they should be helpful.

I modified this post because the directions were al little sketchy.  I posted from my work today what to do.

work on OLD PIECES FIRST.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 06:23:44 PM by cbr600rrjeremy »

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
Re:For those interested in painting your bodywork
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 08:55:41 PM »
I'm going to post some pics of a piece a repaired today as soon as i figure out the changes to the gallery

BlackOps

• FREAK Member
  • Yer f#*kn fired!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 08:58:09 PM »
Well thanks for that bit of info. I have an extra set of scratched body work I might try something like that on.
Never seen, Always heard

blk-RR

• why was i a llama?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 09:16:03 PM »
i have some scratches that i want to fix and was wondering will the bondo chip off when the fairing bends? im not talking about hard core bending but just normal removal of the fairings. thanks for the info
oohhh its just a 600..........

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 09:21:57 PM »
well, anyway...

I did an sv tail today, it had some laydown scratches in it.  

Scratches

0.  dry sand 320 to get the paint out of the scratches, and to shape them for fill in.

1.  I filled them in with some plastic cement.  Specifically designed for plastic, it comes in the two side by side tubes, mix and apply.

2.  the application I did with a safety glove, put some on your finger and put it in and around the scratch.  let it set.

3.  wet sand with 320 and make it smooth.  finish with 600 wet sand.  You will know if it's smooth or not, just know.  If you need to fill in more, repeat step 1 and 2.

when it's done, primer appropriately

Spraying

We sprayed a piece today and it came out nice, the surface prep was crappy, so i didn't take pics.

when going to spray with a rattle can, ensure you use the same brand of color and clear coat.

begin spraying about 10 inches away, and put a very light mist on.  let it set for about a minute.  begin spraying closer and closer to about 5 inches away.  cover your area or piece completely.  AT ALL TIMES, DO NOT LET THE PAINT RUN.  you do that by not getting in a hurry.  keep the distance to a misty spray, not a firehose on the piece.

then move to clear coat.  you can put it on thicker, but still be careful for runs.  Allow to dry overnight.  OVERNIGHT. next morning or night, whenever you get off work.  

begin wet sand with 1000 grit paper.  if it's not perfect, you will know, spray again with clear coat and let dry.  you wil get used to it if you do it more than once.

Finishing

I will post the finish I did on a katana piece that i sprayed about 2 years ago.  Surface prep was bad again, but will post when I can.

the picture in the first post is similar to what you need.  print it out and take it in to find it as a drill attachment.

it's kind of spongy and comes in different grits.  Use a finishing glaze.  they come in different cutting strengths so choose as you desire.  I used "level 5".  

clean the surface. soap and water.  put on a dab of liquid onto the sponge.  work back and forth on the piece or area that your are doing.  If you need to wipe clean with a cloth, not a rag, and do again.

If you don't rush, and stay focused on what you are doing your piece will come out better than factory.

BEFORE

SANDING WITH 2000 GRIT

POLISHING WITH FINISHING KIT

Surface prep on the katana piece (black) was not good, but you get the idea of finishing yourself.  That's without clear coat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 06:12:38 PM by cbr600rrjeremy »

laubin

• FREAK Member
  • MSF SITH LORD
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 09:31:42 PM »
My take on rattle can paints is that you can get the finish right but it no where near as durable as one mixed and sprayed( alittle road grime will yellow that cheap clear)
The force is strong with you Young Skywalker, ...but you are not yet a Jedi...

blk-RR

• why was i a llama?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 09:39:00 PM »
i paint F-14's every day and i know that a piss can will not hold up over time. im gonna paint my fairings with polyurathane (sp?) paint. thats what we use and i know that its good durable paint.
oohhh its just a 600..........

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 10:11:59 PM »
i'm offering low cost solutions for those who don't have access to a spray booth or pro solutions.

:P

fretless33

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 12:51:18 AM »
i'm offering low cost solutions for those who don't have access to a spray booth or pro solutions.

:P
Thanks Jeremy... ;D

BigAL

• Newbies
  • downunder
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 04:42:18 AM »
when using 2pac paints, does anyone know if the only way for it to cure properly is by baking in an oven or will it eventually cure naturally if you leave it baking in the sun naturally?

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 09:31:40 PM »
i've not heard of that type of paint, but do your research online.  That's where i get most of my usage ideas and information

jezterr

• FREAK Member
  • (^_^)
    • juniormonkey.com
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 12:37:05 AM »
got some cans of auto paint today. think i'll end up sanding my lowers after the show this weekend and starting the paint job... not too sure how it'll turn out, but since it's just the lowers, i'm not overly concerned...

i'm still trying to find time to fix my front fender... i'm kinda scared to put my front wheel stand on myself, without someone holding the bike to keep it from falling... anyone ever do this themself (ain't got a garage, so i don't have the luck of having rafters to tie my bike up)?
Quote from: laxrider04
i used to be a pirate.....yarrrr
juniormonkey.com

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 01:33:47 AM »
it sounds like you aren't using a rear stand.  If that's the case, you cannot use the front only.  CANNOT use the front only.  you will be sanding more than just thel lowers.  BUT, if you have rear, the front will go right up no matter what type you have.  

THe key to the finish is the surface prep.  Whatever your surface looks like when you start, it'll look like that when you finish.  take your time and fill in the scrapes well.

jezterr

• FREAK Member
  • (^_^)
    • juniormonkey.com
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 05:31:14 PM »
can't just have the front only? lame... guess i'll be putting in the show with a busted fender... shoulda known better than to buy just the front stand. guess i'll be making another purchase...
Quote from: laxrider04
i used to be a pirate.....yarrrr
juniormonkey.com

Jeremy

• FREAK Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 05:59:56 PM »
put in pics of my work.