Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: 1st time to the twisties, ride over your limit, then expect this!  (Read 3697 times)

*Nemesis*

• FREAK Member
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 11:22:08 AM by *Nemesis* »

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
Re: 1st time to the twisties, ride over your limit, then expect this!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:42:36 AM »
You don't see many Bell helmets any more...I couldn't listen to the video because I'm at work, but it looks like an expensive lesson...
"There but for the grace of God go I"

honiton

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »
thats why I dont like to follow people, his buddy is like come on keep up, I wouldnt ride with the moron that told him to follow   ::)

*Nemesis*

• FREAK Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:50:16 AM »
Yeah, his friends or riding buddies are not the type of people I'd like to ride with.  And you really can't blame the noob because it's really hard to think when you're caught up in the emotions of riding.

It was the guy's first time up there, and the guy later suffered some internal bleeding.

splitz

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »
Yeah, his friends or riding buddies are not the type of people I'd like to ride with.  And you really can't blame the noob because it's really hard to think when you're caught up in the emotions of riding.

It was the guy's first time up there, and the guy later suffered some internal bleeding.

Well I was going to say he was lucky, till I read that he had internal bleeding.

Although, at 50+mph it could have gone a hell of a lot worse.

*Nemesis*

• FREAK Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 02:02:08 PM »
Here's the story behind the vid:

A bit long, but definitely worth the read.

Well guys, I finally got out of the hospital after 8 days....5 of which were in ICU. Gixxer7fool, SportnR1, evilarya, drdoom, acostas and I went on to 33, after we did a few runs on 211 with Richie on his fiddy. It was about 3:30pm and we had just made the hike from 211 to 33. I went down on the 3rd turn from the start of the mountain. This was the second time I had ever been on 33...so as you will see, I shouldnt have been riding as strong.

I thought it started out with the long left, then two sharp rights. But after the first right turn, it was an immediate left...and I was in NO WAY prepared for it. I was on the inside of the lane and was going too fast. So I leaned in as quick as I could and tried to get through the turn. Then there was that split second that I knew I was going down, so I went to straighten up the bike, and just got on both brakes. This *** happened so quick. I was fully focused right up to the moment of impact which was by far the scariest moment of my life. I slid into an embankment and flipped over the handlebars as the bike bounced off the embankment and back into the street.

Unbelieveably, I had no road rash, other than a small cut on my shoulder and ankle. I credit this completely to my gear. The helmet, jacket, and gloves did their jobs. Also, I was only wearing jeans, and I can't believe how well they held up. No rash, and the jeans didn't even tear. Thats me right by my blue R6 in the pic below.....as you can see, textile jacket, jeans, then the helmet and gloves.

So anyways, right after the wreck, I jumped up, realized I could walk, and had very little pain. I dragged the bike off the road, and about 20 seconds later, sportnr1, and gixxer7 came around the bend to check on me. Two guys went straight around the bend to slow traffic down, while sportnr1 checked on me and helped clean up the mess. A nice couple allowed us to use their truck to bring my thrashed up bike over the mountain to the BP gas stataion while I waited for my buddy to come pick me up. We grabbed some food, then the other guys rode on while I waited for about 3 hours. Still very little pain.

......and then the adrenaline wore off.......

We were about 30 minutes from Hagerstown and the pain hit me like a fuckin truck. It started in my stomach and moved up to my shoulders. The pain got so bad that it hurt when I was breathing, so i started having short, shallow breathes, and just couldnt move at all. I was pretty much fading out of it and was barely conscious, but I remembered hearing my friend keep telling me to hang in there and to talk to him. I glanced over at one point and saw that we were doing 110mph....and we were in a company car. We finally got to the hospital and they took me right in. Did a couple tests, and they loaded me up on Dilouded. According to the nurse, this stuff is 10x as strong as Morphine...and I was getting doses every 15 minutes. They did Xrays and a catscan. No broken or bruised ribs but there was some internal bleeding from a lacerated spleen. I also fractured my left shoulder. I ended up spending 8 days there and fortunately I avoided surgery. My blood count was half the normal count but because I'm so young, my body was able to survive. I had a blood transfusion, which helped a bit and confirmed that I wasnt going to need surgery.

So now, I'm home and I just have to rest for a few weeks before I can go back to work. I plan on repairing the bike to rideable condition, then I will buy the new '06 (supposedly redesigned) R6 next year.

Guys, all I can say is WEAR YOUR GEAR. As you are about to see, I smashed into a mountain at 50mph and walked away without road rash. I know that there were angels waiting for me on that turn, and I know that everyones prayers helped me to end up avoiding surgery. So I thank each and every one of you for your support. You gotta wear your gear...I'm sure some of you are sick of everyone sayin ''wear ur gear'' and ''dont be a squid'' but damnit, if everyones sayin to wear your gear, and the people that dont wear the gear are dying, then you know theres gotta be truth to it. I feel very fortunate for getting out the way I did. It could have been a hell of alot worse. I could have gone into oncoming traffic, or gone over the guardrail and over the cliff....so many things could have happened but they didint. So I will be able to ride again, and I take from this a hard lesson learned.

Okay, now for the video....right click save target as. And if anyone knows a faster server, please feel free to host it.

http://damnnet.com/download/3938/

majin ssj eric

• "What a wonderful smell you've discovered!"
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »
You're only supposed to go as fast as your slowest rider when group riding.  His buddies almost got him killed.........
2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R (current)
2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R (retired)
2005 Honda CBR-600RR (retired)
1993 Honda CBR-600F2 (retired)

Craig04RR

• FREAK Member
  • Never Scared
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 07:23:44 PM »
looked like target fixation to me, but i guess he did say he stood the bike up, I would have tried to make it, but i wasnt in his situation so I shouldnt comment.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

marcmcm

• FREAK Member
  • I'm kinder and gentler...you should be too
    • PA Sportbikes
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:19:55 PM »
You're only supposed to go as fast as your slowest rider when group riding.  His buddies almost got him killed.........

No you're only supposed to go as fast as YOU can safely go.  Let your buddies ride their own "race" and you ride your own.  Like my friend always say, we'd rather wait for you than load it up in the truck.

mereel77

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 11:08:46 PM »
Wow, that's a great video. Makes you realize how quickly things can go bad. I had a similar wreck, only it was not at all similiar and I was only doing 5 mph. But I recognize that "FUCK!", cause that's exactly how you feel.

Everyone can take note of that story and promise yourself that if you ever get into an accident like that, head straight for the hospital, even if you feel fine.

Watching the mountain getting bigger and bigger and finally filling the screen brought back memories of the time I wiped out and was sliding, out of control, down a ski slope that had been shut down because it was solid ice. I must have fallen a hundred feet and was probably doing 40 mph, headed right for some trees. But at the last minute I hit some powder and dug into it like there was no tomorrow. That was the worst!

Audiofyl

• FREAK Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
i'm sure he had his "oh face" on.

nice plate.
03 CBR600RR red/black
09 Yamaha Zuma 125
94 Civic EX + boost
05 Golf GLS TDI

blog

flickr

be courteous

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 11:52:09 PM »
I had a similar wreck, only it was not at all similiar

:-X
"There but for the grace of God go I"

jezterr

• FREAK Member
  • (^_^)
    • juniormonkey.com
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 12:03:30 AM »
wow. i reacted the exact same way when i crashed... kinda like my own situation, but i was going maybe 10 mph less and i went into a gravel runoff...
Quote from: laxrider04
i used to be a pirate.....yarrrr
juniormonkey.com

Catalyst[XPD8]

• 05 CBR 600 RR - Tribal
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 02:11:44 AM »
One more reason I vote that Noobs should always LEAD. His friend was a jackass,
never leave your Noob friend behind, he will try to keep up but with little skill, he will
find himself in a situation that he is not ready for... and crash like this poor guy did.
Always let your Noob friend lead, and the split up so its easier to ride... don't ride in
groups.. period.

Ed

sargeek1975

• FREAK Member
  • I'm a wannabe racer!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 07:18:21 AM »
One more reason I vote that Noobs should always LEAD. His friend was a jackass,
never leave your Noob friend behind, he will try to keep up but with little skill, he will
find himself in a situation that he is not ready for... and crash like this poor guy did.
Always let your Noob friend lead, and the split up so its easier to ride... don't ride in
groups.. period.

Ed

I guess you didn't read this:

No you're only supposed to go as fast as YOU can safely go.  Let your buddies ride their own "race" and you ride your own.  Like my friend always say, we'd rather wait for you than load it up in the truck.

Our club has group rides all the time..............noobs and old hacks alike. You ride your own ride. If you can't keep up in the twisties you'll meet us at the next stop sign. It's that easy.

If I had to do a group ride and wait on some noob to lead I'm sure I wouldn't do it ever again.  :jerkoff:
Signature has been removed 'cause someone had a crying fit.