Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: How many track days for me to be a better racer than you?  (Read 23782 times)

jezterr

• FREAK Member
  • (^_^)
    • juniormonkey.com
Re: How many track days for me to be a better racer than you?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 02:57:18 PM »
That is freakin' expensive!!!

Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick to trackdays...lol

no kidding. jesus, jeff, what do you to get all these funds? you've got a good wife to tolerate all this...
Quote from: laxrider04
i used to be a pirate.....yarrrr
juniormonkey.com

rjh200

• FREAK Member
  • I'm Addicted
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 03:06:36 PM »
no kidding. jesus, jeff, what do you to get all these funds? you've got a good wife to tolerate all this...

Think honestly about what you spend in a month on going out to dinner, movies, night out, few drinks, smoking (if you smoke), shopping and any other expense that is not a necessity.  The people I have talked to that race don't really do any of this.  I know for me right there is about 1k a month in useless expenses. 
Bring on the squids, I need part for my bike.

jezterr

• FREAK Member
  • (^_^)
    • juniormonkey.com
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
Think honestly about what you spend in a month on going out to dinner, movies, night out, few drinks, smoking (if you smoke), shopping and any other expense that is not a necessity.  The people I have talked to that race don't really do any of this.  I know for me right there is about 1k a month in useless expenses. 

but i don't do any of this, anyway...
Quote from: laxrider04
i used to be a pirate.....yarrrr
juniormonkey.com

marcmcm

• FREAK Member
  • I'm kinder and gentler...you should be too
    • PA Sportbikes
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 03:28:22 PM »
i'm done w/ this thread i said. i don't want to be known as a big-headed loudmouth

Too late

BlackNumberOne

• FREAK Member
  • 1.21 Gigawatts of power
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 03:31:57 PM »
Wow Jeff, this is some good stuff. i didn't post back right away b/c i was away from my computer
you can trust me. I don't even have a mustache.

Tibbett

• FREAK Member
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 03:50:15 PM »
You could do like I did and pick up a used NSR to start off on..I still have my 125 and still take it to the track..a mucho fun bike.
I wasn't speeding..you were just going too slow.

'07 Yamaha R6

SquidLid

• FREAK Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 03:54:48 PM »
This thread needs to be stickied.

8)

*Nemesis*

• FREAK Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2005, 03:59:30 PM »
This thread needs to be stickied.

8)

I agree. 8)

Kinda like hanging the chopped off heads on the bridge to warn others who dare to cause trouble...lol :P 8)

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 04:26:31 PM »
As I've said before.  I make a decent living, but alone, it's not enough to race as I do.  Every banner you see here is paid for, and every time you make a purchase from any one of my sponsors and give the kudos back to this site or me, they see the value and continue to pay for advertising.

I don't get any kickbacks from anything you buy from anyone on this site.  It's all in advertising.  And I only deal with people & companies who WILL treat you right.  I turn away a lot of people who would gladly pay to advertise products that don't work or a business that has poor practices, but I simply decline to allow you this bad experience for my temporary gain.

I also appreciate the personal donations that people make because they enjoy this *FREE* site and/or those who want to help out with the race effort.  I've had people donate as little as $3, and years ago I had a guy pay for all my race entries for an entire season (nearly $3k).  It all helps out.

Make no mistake in thinking that I profit off any of this.  It's still a LARGE chunk of cash out of my pocket, but it's manageable for the most part.  And like RJH said about the misc expenses...  I don't hunt/fish/golf/drink/smoke/bowl/ski/etc...  I race.

The family I have is a unique one.  We ALL enjoy the experience.  If we didn't, I wouldn't be racing anymore.  And it's to the point that I cannot race without them (well, at least my wife).  If she's not at the track, I simply cannot get it together mentally enough to race.

It's family time together, away from the home and with our 'second' family, of those race folks we see every few weekends.  It's a good thing.  People may see me as selfish because I spend the bulk-share of the money in my house, and my kids don't play softball/volleyball/etc, but I see it differently.  When I was a kid, I wanted to do those things (play softball, etc) but never really had a good time with it.  My kids look forward to each and every weekend away...  Again, it's a lifestyle, not necessarily a hobby.
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

honiton

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 03:29:41 AM »
I am so freakin slow its embarrassing  :run: .. I am always the last on slow group and people lap me like crazy so I always stay on the inside that way people can pass me on the outside... I guess I am afraid to fall and hurt my ankle again, the fear... but I am getting my confidence back little by little.

Black you just need a lot of practice and school.. Like what Jeff said spend a lot of time in Keith Code's school and you can learn a lot...  Take Jeff and Hi-side's advice they know what they are talking about..

mereel77

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2005, 05:34:36 AM »
Bike $9,000 (I gave you the benefit of a good discount here)
bodywork $600
paint $200
clipons $125
rearsets $300
damper $400
brake lines $100
exhaust $800
rear shock $1,100
fork work $500
power commander $300
dyno work $250
frame sliders $75
tires $350
fluids $200
gearing $100
Chain $100

Bike Total: $14,500

Grand Total: $17,500

Actually, Jeff, I'd put that figure closer to $17,425, cause no way this dude is going to need frame sliders. He's numero uno!

Fretless33

• Freakin' old guy
  • Administrator
  • Endless's very own group
    • Check me out!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2005, 09:03:36 AM »
BlackNumberOne, you remind me of a friend of mine that would get this real serious look on his face and say "I'm too fast for the street!" Imagine him saying that in an Arabic accent, it was priceless! He took his too fast self and his too fast bike to the track where every body is too slow and crashed in the first session. We didn't mean to laugh, but it was an incredible moment...

By the way, this thread is headed to the "Unique" section...there's some good info, but the intention of this thread makes it necessary to put it there...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:50:54 AM by Fretless33 »
"There but for the grace of God go I"

CBRNole

• FREAK Member
  • "Only the captain gets to touch the horn Greg"
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »
The family I have is a unique one.  We ALL enjoy the experience.  If we didn't, I wouldn't be racing anymore.  And it's to the point that I cannot race without them (well, at least my wife).  If she's not at the track, I simply cannot get it together mentally enough to race.

It's family time together, away from the home and with our 'second' family, of those race folks we see every few weekends.  It's a good thing.  People may see me as selfish because I spend the bulk-share of the money in my house, and my kids don't play softball/volleyball/etc, but I see it differently.  When I was a kid, I wanted to do those things (play softball, etc) but never really had a good time with it.  My kids look forward to each and every weekend away...  Again, it's a lifestyle, not necessarily a hobby.

Very true Jeff.

Reminds me of my days racing motocross back in the early 90's.  My parents, my brother, and I are much closer because of it.  Almost every weekend from February through November was spent somewhere at a track or at a school somewhere. 
This message brought to you by Ronald McDonald Racing

sargeek1975

• FREAK Member
  • I'm a wannabe racer!!!
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2005, 09:53:42 AM »
I am willing to be in the middle of the pack of the novice group. Just don't plan on staying there for more than a couple turns.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Someone please get this guy out onto a track..........................please!
Signature has been removed 'cause someone had a crying fit.

marcmcm

• FREAK Member
  • I'm kinder and gentler...you should be too
    • PA Sportbikes
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2005, 10:22:30 AM »
I have a friend that's the exact same way.  He's never been on the track but likes to criticize all of us that have been.  I actually took him to a track day and told us that the Advanced group guys were no faster than how we ride on the street.  We finally played a trick on him last weekend and had him so pissed off he was ready to sell his car for a track bike so he could "prove" that he was faster than us.  He rides a 954RR that has no 2nd and 3rd gears but he still thinks he can come to the track and be faster than all of us.