Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: '05 RR 5k rpm rattle / buzz - read FAQ already  (Read 24285 times)

cycledrum

'05 RR 5k rpm rattle / buzz - read FAQ already
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:30:42 PM »
On my '05, there is no extra washer in the right bar end weight, but there is metal to metal contact between the bar end and the thing in the bar.   I put some tape on the bar end to eliminate that.

Any one else having this on their '05?   

I'm not freaked out about it.  Seriously doubt it's coming from the engine.  Some kind of chassis buzz and very subtle.   I can live with it, but it would be nice to eliminate it.

ITecs

• Newbies
    • ITecs Corp
Re: '05 RR 5k rpm rattle / buzz - read FAQ already
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:26:34 AM »
I noticed it as well, shortly after I got my bike back from the shop.. You think it's caused from a missing washer and there is metal to metal contact creating that buzzing noise?  I can pin point the sound coming out of the steering clamp / gauges area.

???

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 06:31:28 AM »
If you get to where you can hear the noise, grab the key.  It may very well be the key in the ignition.
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

cbar6

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:08:54 AM »
Yeah,
I had same problem with my 05, when i put my hand on the instrument panel it would go away, it was most anoying appearing at the rpm stated. i just thought it was my bike!!! Sounded like a loose plastic ot summin.
Anyway was meant to look into it but with 2000kms on clock now it has disapeared, no longer there.
Cheers

cycledrum

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 11:55:13 PM »
I can make the rattle/ buzz around 5k rpm go away by placing my left hand firmly on top of the tank (plastic shell).   I'll be going after this issue tomorrow and will let ya know when it's solved.   And yes...the rattle is friggen annoying.  Was bugging me a lot Saturday on my group ride.

DwD

• FNG
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »
Have the same sound around 5-6k rpm, it goes away when i place my thump on the "HISS"  label on top of the tank.

V-Rob

• FREAK Member
  • I'm da malpa
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 07:22:48 PM »
Me too....slight buzzing right under that sticker and when I put my hand over it, it stops.....anyone find out how to get rid of it yet?
blue Schwinn 10-speed...nice

Peter

• Newbies
  • El Mero Mero
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 10:09:22 PM »
HOLY Smokes!!! I thought that I was going crazy. Im glad Im not the only one. I too have that buzz and too put my hand on the tank to eliminate it. What helped for me was to tighten the bolts around the gas cap. It helped a lot. I still hear just a little but definitely not as much as before. I also tightened the top two tank bolts just under the triple clamp. I dont know it that made a difference. Hope this helps for some of you.

V-Rob

• FREAK Member
  • I'm da malpa
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 10:58:35 PM »
HOLY Smokes!!! I thought that I was going crazy. Im glad Im not the only one. I too have that buzz and too put my hand on the tank to eliminate it. What helped for me was to tighten the bolts around the gas cap. It helped a lot. I still hear just a little but definitely not as much as before. I also tightened the top two tank bolts just under the triple clamp. I dont know it that made a difference. Hope this helps for some of you.
Thankyou, I will try this and see what happens :thumb:
blue Schwinn 10-speed...nice

mauriteb

• Newbies
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:02:50 PM »
A guy on .net discovered that his tank cover was rubbing against the airbox.  He solved it by putting some dynamat (car speaker stuff) on the inside of the tank cover.  Wrote it up here http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118182.  I haven't noticed it on my '05 yet, but it may only be a matter of time.

dmakmcse

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 05:21:49 PM »
i've been hearing the same rattle.
figured it was my keys, since i have 4 other keys on the fob.
guess i'll have to ride it with just the key alone and see if it's noticable.

cycledrum

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
Good find mauriteb.   In my case the dynamat will likely solve it since pressing on the tank eliminates the buzz.

R6KilleRR

• Faster than a speeding Yamaha!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 11:42:04 PM »
I found that if you place your hand firmly on both left and right clip ons and twist the grip on the right hand side really hard in sitxh gear it goes away at about 14,000rpm or so LOL. Sorry guys just being an ass.

cycledrum

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 10:59:03 PM »
I pulled my fuel tank cover off a few minutes ago and the source of buzz is clearly shown.   On the inside of the tank cover where the indentation is in front of the tank cap,  there are 4 marks on the tank cover and on the bike.

The tank cover contacts a thin plastic cover that goes over two large connectors (I believe they connect into a main ECU unit).

Anyrate,  I'm going to put on a strip of adhesive foam in this area of the tank cover.  I'll bet my boots the buzz will be gone for good.  ;D

###  Don't have digital camera right now...it's on vacation with someone else.  :'(

SolidForce

• F.T.W. Racing
  • Conform.
    • F.T.W. Racing
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 11:55:29 PM »
good find...

get some pics!!!

-SF
-==F.T.W. Racing==--

^^^ Click it ^^^