Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: kick stand, fuel pump correlation? HELP!  (Read 2030 times)

siggapangtitty

• FNG
kick stand, fuel pump correlation? HELP!
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
Hello to all! I am a proud friend of a 600rr owner. He wanted help with an oil change and replace the bolts to a two brothers exhaust pipe and in return, I could use the bike until he returned. The muffler is attached to the pipe by 4 screws. These 4 screws backed out and were lost so the muffler was hanging, detached. The bike ran fine when he unloaded it at my house, loud, but ran fine. I pushed the muffler closer to the pipe to see what hardware may be missing so there was about a half inch gap between the muffler and pipe. I turned the key on, heard the whine of the fuel pump being primed, and started up but died after idling only a moment. I tried to start it back up but it would not. after waiting a day, i did the same thing only to have the bike die again after idling a moment. the next day, i pulled the muffler away from the pipe and started it. the bike idled fine and there were no problems. I dont know anything about this motorcycle or any other but i figured i would be as detailed as possible to determine the cause. a week later, i changed the oil. the battery was pretty much dead because the bike has been sitting up for a few months and only being started once a week to idle in the garage. with all the starting because of the muffler problem, i guess it was enough to kill it. so i jumped the bike off with a jump box and rode it around town about half an hour with the fresh oil. the next day, i bolted the muffler back to the pipe, went and filled it with gas, and rode it to work across town. the bike ran like a top. i should mention that i also cleaned the bike with soap and water before i rode to work. i doubt it matters but i dont know. so here is where it gets weird. when i was about to leave work, i started the bike up which was parked only about 20 feet from the front door. i forgot to lock up so i decided to leave the kickstand down and just putt over to the door. the bike died as soon as i clicked it into gear. i wasnt sure what happened because my headphones were on so i thought it was possible i just let the clutch out to fast so i restarted the bike and did it again. the second time i figured it had something to do with the kickstand so i was going to raise the kickstand. the bike will not start now at all. the fuel pump will not prime. i dont know what the kickstand sensor could possibly have to do with the bike not starting but it seems to be connected somehow. i left the battery unhooked hoping to clear the problem from the ecm's memory but it didnt help. i pushed the kill switch back and forth a bunch of times to see if it was stuck but it didnt help. i raised and lowered the kick stand about 800 times and nothing. i waited 3 days to turn the bike on and that didnt help either. to be clear, the engine turns over but the fuel pump does not prime. i did not drop the bike or turn it on its side. i was sitting on the bike when this happened. someone please help me! i need to fix my friends bike and return it to him. i feel terrible that this happened when i was only trying to help him save some money. thanks so much for everyones help!

excat

• FREAK Member
Re: kick stand, fuel pump correlation? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
first off, separate this out into some paragraphs next time. that is a jumble of shit to read that just runs together to form an even bigger pile of shit.

second. bike on side stand, in N. turn key on. no fuel pump? check the fuses. good chance you blew a fuse. just so we know, what year of bike we working on here? won't make a whole lot of difference, but nice to know. fuses are in battery compartment and behind the left side middle fairing.

let us know what you find...

(yes, fuel pump and side stand are connected, but doesn't sound like that is your issue...yet. start small)

siggapangtitty

• FNG
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
okay, sorry about that! i previewed a few others on here to see how things work. it is a 2007 year model. i did have a look at one of the fuses. there was only one fuse that seemed to be linked and i cannot recall which one it was however, it was good when i checked it. i will have a look at every fuse and post back what i find. what about the relays? i am not sure how to check them but do you think it would be a good idea to take them out and bring them to honda? thank you for your response and sorry for the shithouse mess i made of your forum.

siggapangtitty

• FNG
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »
all fuses are good. havent checked the "main fuse" but it is probably good because all electrical is working except the fuel pump.

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »
i didnt bother reading your giant ball of words... did you say your gauges arnt working either?
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

shamu

• ...nom nom nom...
  • FREAK Member
  • Be LIBERATED
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
Not only did I lose my place but I also lost interest in the continuous ramble.

Never the less, instead of trying to source the problem with 100 different variables, do whatever it takes to turn it on. Once on, change 1 variable at a time to isolate the problem.

When you figure out under what conditions you're experiencing the problem, then come back and explain in a way that we can understand..
2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport Super White
2011 CBR600rr Black (Current)
2008 CBR600rr Graffiti (Stolen)

excat

• FREAK Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
Alright. All fuses checked good. Next thing is to swap your relays, which is the easiest way to test them. I just try to remember which went where originally, but it's not big deal really. Swap relays around while cycling the key, but be sure to have key off when you remove/install relay.

Also, fuses can "look" good unless your carefully looking. A blown fuse isn't always the most obvious. I recommend using a test light.

After you eliminate that the fuses are good (even the main fuse even though gauges are working), and swap relays around with no avail, you're going to have to get the volt meter (or test light if you don't have one) out along with wiring schematic, and pull the thank and start tracing out wires working from the fuel pump back.

siggapangtitty

• FNG
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
this issue has been solved. thank you EXCAT. i unhooked the battery overnight and this morning the fuel pump primed and started right up. for those of you who didnt take the time to read shouldnt take the time to post. seems that you are only interested in controlling or correcting someone. i fully realize that it was a jumble after EXCAT told me the first time. if you others had taken the time to read my reply, you would have noticed that i apologized so i dont feel like it needed to be restated three other ways. this isnt office space; i got the memo. again, thank you all for the help.

excat

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
no problem. glad to hear your up and running. does sound kind of strange though once you hooked the batt back up, you have power again... it sounds like there are underlying issues that may present them self later.

WE_GOT_THAT_TOO

• FREAK Member
  • Know The Rules...Before You Play The Game
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:31:12 PM »
this issue has been solved. thank you EXCAT. i unhooked the battery overnight and this morning the fuel pump primed and started right up. for those of you who didnt take the time to read shouldnt take the time to post. seems that you are only interested in controlling or correcting someone. i fully realize that it was a jumble after EXCAT told me the first time. if you others had taken the time to read my reply, you would have noticed that i apologized so i dont feel like it needed to be restated three other ways. this isnt office space; i got the memo. again, thank you all for the help.

It may not be office space but it aignt heaven either...this place is filled with a bunch of dicks and we aignt the nicest things  :squid2: so if you gonna get emotional that will be a problem.

"If you walk into a room full of blind people, close your eyes and pretend you are blind also" -Wisest Person Ever

In other words, people will say whatever they please so don't take it personally. If you can master that talent you will realize that people here are more than just forum peeps. People here actually grow on each other, hang out, have a beer, go on rides, etc. so just go with it! It's a great place and the bitching you get is nothing compared to the help you receive in return.

siggapangtitty

• FNG
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »
you are arguing freedom of speech which i agree with completely but what i find less constructive is harping on a new person for not being brief when i had already made an apology for. i use ittoolbox.com for help with computer problems and its more helpful than not to explain any and all details or possible factors when one doesnt know anything about the item or issue in question which is why i thought it would be helpful here. the complaints were such that being informative and long winded were a bad thing. okay, you can have your opinion and share it and that is precisly what you want me to do. well, my opinion is that just becuase you have the right to say something doesnt mean that you should. i shared my opinion about the folks that bad mouthed the way i presented the issue. i wasnt emotional about it, far from it in fact, i thanked the individual/s for helping me and apologized for not posting in a way that was more attractive. thank you for your input and i want to thank everyone again for the help. the help is free therefore everyone should be free to say what is on their mind. -Me

shamu

• ...nom nom nom...
  • FREAK Member
  • Be LIBERATED
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
 :pop:

Rjunky

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
we need to have a talk about your tps reports...  did you get that memo? ill go ahead and get you another copy of that memo  :spank:
this is my signature.....there are many like it....but this one is mine.....

shamu

• ...nom nom nom...
  • FREAK Member
  • Be LIBERATED
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
We need a "add fuel to the fire" emoticon  :dance:

WE_GOT_THAT_TOO

• FREAK Member
  • Know The Rules...Before You Play The Game
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »
You guys think I upset him? Thought he/she would have a thicker skin. Figured I'd throw "she" in there cuz no guy is this emotional except "1" friend of mine. Reading his last response if I didn't know any better I would have said it was him  :P
He always says that also, "Far From The Truth" haha
He is such a panzi...only time he can hang out with the guys is when the wife is out with her friends. I'm like grow some fuckin balls man!!! Should have put your foot down before she did...clear who wears the pants there.

Long story short...grow so balls and I don't mean over the internet safely in your room talking shit. I mean don't get emotional and ride the wind.  ::) :spank: :P